Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 27 Paid Members Posted January 27 The only things from Collision that stood out to me at all were: Jake Doyle looks the absolute business. Nasty, mean and tough looking motherfucker. More of that please. And I enjoy Thekla way more where she drops the spooky bollocks and is just a gobby little shit. Spitting on Statlander's shirt, chucking it in the bin and flipping her off is the kind of delightfully pathetic and petty stuff I like from my heels. Quote
Paid Members garynysmon Posted January 27 Paid Members Posted January 27 (edited) On 1/25/2026 at 12:57 PM, HarmonicGenerator said: Oliver and Price haven’t impressed me. In terms of look and ability they both strike me as sub-Nick Waynes and I’m reminded of the timeless quote from SUWA about BritWres lads, “many many skinny guy. Shit. Shiiiiiiit”. Was happy to watch Davis & Doyle murderise them, they’ve happened on a good duo there. I don't watch AEW at all really, but ended up watching a few minutes while flicking through the channels over the weekend as the Don Callis / Jon Moxley stuff caught my eye. The two came across as trying way too hard. They reminded me of those job guys you see in old WWF dark matches on Youtube, coming out and trying to make a lot of noise and OTT gestures, trying in vain to rile up a completely disinterested crowd who don't have a clue who they are. You end up feeling sorry for them more than anything. Edited January 27 by garynysmon Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted January 27 Paid Members Posted January 27 Coming up this week on Dynamite: Got a few special match posters this week too: Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 28 Author Paid Members Posted January 28 (edited) Hmm, that’s a rough line-up. I’ve cancelled my AEW+ subscription for a bit. I’m sure things’ll heat up again, but I can get by on the ITV airings for the time being, I’m not really risking spoilers by waiting the extra time. There’s nothing that you need to see right away at the moment. Maybe I’ll have a change of heart after this week’s show, we’ll see. Edited January 28 by RedTwoster Quote
organizedkaos Posted January 28 Posted January 28 I mean for all AEWs current issues I wouldn't call that lineup rough. Swerve/Andrade possibly has actual uncertainty (I mean it's what 75% Swerve wins but that's 25% less than the usual Dynamite main eventer match) and stakes (if Swerve does lose it pushes him out of title contention and it does feel somewhat uncertain, in a good way, who's next title challenger). The rest of the matches are all fairly obvious winners but are fresh matchups (I'm counting seeing more of "best i've felt in years" Omega as fresh for the moment because fuck yeah it's fun to see him back even if Rocky Romero is one of the least interesting wrestlers on the AEW roster). The booking is still a bit on the wonk but I'm intruiged by the dynamics of FTR/Big chaps, Thekla/Stat is standard banger Dynamite fare but both deserve an opportunity to shine (in what is likely the main event), Mox is on a roll against flippy underdogs (although might feel a bit different in his new face without consequences position). I've stopped watching Collision so am missing Mark Briscoe and interested to see Clon wrestle even if the gimmick and idea behind him is abject nonsense. So yeah, from the perspective of wanting AEW to build itself back up this card feels a small step in the right direction. Quote
The Gaffer Posted January 29 Posted January 29 Checked this out for the first time in awhile. Flashing up uninteresting, Team Company messages from X during the opening match is such a horrible production trope from 2011. One of them literally just said "Tony Khan has blessed us." Turned it off after that. Quote
King Mal the Glorious Posted January 29 Posted January 29 (edited) Thought that was a cracking episode. Main event and womens title matches in particular were great. I would actually quite like an Andrade title reign of he continues at this level. I have fond memories of Black and Gold NXT so hope Ciampa is as good as he was back then. Edit: shame Doyle picked up an injury, hopefully he's not out long as I've been enjoying the team. Edited January 29 by King Mal the Glorious Warren Barton Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 29 Author Paid Members Posted January 29 On 1/28/2026 at 12:43 PM, organizedkaos said: I mean for all AEWs current issues I wouldn't call that lineup rough. Perhaps ‘uninteresting’ is a better word. It’s the number of predictable matches for me. Weirdly, I don’t think I’d have thought twice about it if they didn’t advertise every bloody match ahead of time. Just promote one or two big ones and leave it at that. I didn’t dislike Dynamite, but I’m still not caring much for the overall direction. Moxley had a rare miss for me with his match against Ace Austin. I didn’t think they worked well together at all. Another negative - once again, there was far too much Don Callis for me. He’s everywhere, and I wish they’d pull back on him. I don’t think many of his ‘family’ actually need him. I’m glad that they’re continuing on with the OC/Toni Storm storyline. I’m assuming that they recognise the lack of chemistry between Toni and Mina, and the chemistry she actually has with Orange makes that even more apparent. I think Mina is really good, it’s just a weird situation in which two strong characters simply aren’t meshing well together. Statlander as a babyface World Champion is a bit of a failed experiment. Rather than give up on her title run though, I think they should turn her heel. She’s already shown that she can be a strong heel character, and the women’s roster needs someone significant to fill the void left by Mercedes Mone. I knew Ciampa’s AEW debut was inevitable when he left WWE, and I’m a bit of a cynic as to the value of bringing him in. I’m not going to dismiss him outright though - Ricochet is the perfect example as to why you shouldn’t do that. However, I think AEW benefits from limiting the number of ex-WWE wrestlers they sign and focusing on new, fresh talent. MJF continues to feel like a retread. The company needs a new top heel on the men’s side and it shouldn’t be him unless he changes things up in a way he seems very unwilling to do. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 29 Paid Members Posted January 29 I will say that the main event made that show feel a lot more interesting and unpredictable than it had felt for a long time before that. Overall, Dynamite still feels largely skippable. It feels like every week since MJF won the belt, they've just had three or four blokes argue over who gets to be the next champion, but without the champion ever in those segments. It's all very MJF that he has his own kind of Cody-verse, where even when the stories are about his title, his name is barely mentioned in Kenny, Hangman, Swerve, or Don Callis' promos about who the next champion will be, while he's having a completely separate feud for the belt elsewhere on the same show. It seems like they're trying to tell a story, not for the first time, of how the walls are closing in around MJF and he has too many challengers, but they just fast-forwarded to that as soon as he won the belt, and haven't joined the dots to make it make sense. If the story was that MJF has to contend against multiple threats coming at him from different angles, that there were multiple routes to the title he needs to be wary of, then I'd forgive how illogical a lot of it was, but it doesn't feel like that is the story. Hangman, Swerve and Samoa Joe have been just arguing over who deserves to be next champion, while Kenny has been talking about stringing wins together to earn a shot, so Tony Khan has booked a number one contenders' match, but then he's also booked Brody King in an eliminator match so he can earn a title shot completely outside of all of that. And just covering Samoa Joe's injury with a throwaway line on commentary was a mistake - they couldn't have had Hook and Shibata there to address it? Or, if they're not around for some reason, just some of the interchangeable Opps mooks? Or even Taz? All of that said, Andrade winning in the main event helped make that whole picture feel a lot more unpredictable. He could be in the mix, Swerve could have a more circuitous route back to the belt. But also, it's probably just a means to an end to get to Andrade vs. Kenny Omega at last - though Andrade was great against Swerve, so I'm not complaining about getting that match at all. They need to get Andrade out of the Don Callis Family, though - he doesn't need it, and the crowd are desperate to love him. The Death Riders situation continues to be a mess. The Tag Title match ended when heels beat other heels because another set of heels interfered; how are we supposed to feel about that? And you could make the argument that the Death Riders are de facto babyfaces, but in the very next segment they were explicitly heels against Toni and Orange Cassidy. I'm glad the Takeshita/Kyle/Okada story is finally going somewhere, though at the moment it just makes Takeshita look like a patsy. Okada's disingenuous apology was great, and Kyle being torn between them makes sense, but Takeshita should be furious - at Okada, at Don Callis, he should be demanding answers, but he barely seems to care. In the thread about fixing AEW's issues, @LaGoosh talked about licensed music, and I couldn't help think about that when Ciampa came out to generic 2010s Southern rock bollocks. On the indies he used to use "Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads, and maybe they're not interested or not able to pay for that, but at least something that sonically isn't in the same milieu as every other bearded white bloke's entrance music would have been nice. Quote
Chili Posted January 29 Posted January 29 I've been very bored of modern wrestling in general and Tomato Chompa in AEW gives me that "I don't fucking care about you" that @RedTwoster gets with Roddy Strong. Maybe it'll be lead to Gargano coming in (oh fucking whoopeeee) and they can reform DIY under a new name, feud with FTR. Something fresh. Quote
theringmaster Posted January 29 Posted January 29 Ciampa kind of feels like somebody who could double as an agent for the younger guys a little, I never was that fussed on him in wwe, Especially after that vomit inducing triple h tribute he did one PPV (was it a mania?) ) but bizarrely i am excited for what he could bring to the table for aew, it feels like a promotion more suited to his style and look. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 29 Paid Members Posted January 29 I can't bloody stand that decrepit looking tiny old man Ciampa and him and anyone else with that NXT Black and Gold stench should be as far away from AEW as possible in my opinion. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted January 29 Paid Members Posted January 29 9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: I can't bloody stand that decrepit looking tiny old man Ciampa and him and anyone else with that NXT Black and Gold stench should be as far away from AEW as possible in my opinion. That’s a good chunk of the AEW Roster at this point. Whilst the stories are wishy washy at the moment, the matches mostly delivered. Poor Jake Doyle. Thankfully he’ll get his medical paid this time. Swerve/Andrade was great and he feels for the first time in years like a big deal. Uncle Albert turning up was a surprise. Assumed he’d be TNA bound. I thought he was great during the first few years of NXT, but after the 3rd split, reconciliation with Johnny I was bored. I’ll give him a chance at least. Once again perplexed at how I thought it was a pretty good show and I’m on a lonely island. Quote
Chili Posted January 29 Posted January 29 Poor Jake Doyle and even more poor Mike Davis. Up there with Bang Bang Bullet Club for being absolutely snakebit whenever something comes up for the act. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.