organizedkaos Posted January 23 Posted January 23 4 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said: . It's almost as if shes such a star shes outgrown the entire division, and matches like this just seem like shes slumming it. I think one big advantage they have is Toni Storm the character is supposed to be an impulsive nutjob so I think if she was in the middle of some violent blood feud it would hold up that she wouldn't care about the title. Obviously they're sort of trying to do that with with Marina Shafir but they also have to a bit work around Shafir's limitations. I wonder if you could get away with sort of repeating the Hangman thing with Storm? It'd probably feel a bit deja vu but also Storm's character is well defined and lends itself to this. The feud costs her Mina (Mina keeps getting attacked by object of feud and "breaks up" with Toni) and just let Storm play around in the most deranged part of her character (you could even have her trying to regain her playful nature with OC but it doesn't work cos she's distracted). Play out the feud over a series of matches, maybe bring a few other people into it for moments to give it some legs and then you do the redemption where she's going for the World Title and rediscovering her more playful fun side. I dunno, it feels like her character is so strong and unpredictiable you can use that to your advantage and I don't quite think cutsey fun is the best way of distracting her. As others said, rest of show was strong and really highlighted their main event talent. It was so good to see Swerve and Kenny put on great television matches (the had a purpose). This was exactly the right use of MJF too, whilst he felt like the epicentre of the division he wasn't overwhelming it. Having Swerve/Kenny/coughhangmancough needing to prove themselves in big competitive matches (which will then lead to big competitive matches with each other eventually crowning a No 1 contender) makes the main event feel exciting, makes MJF feel important but doesn't have that "oh yeah great more MJF" stuff. Meanwhile MJF being in shorter programs, showing different sides to his character and reminding us he is a really good wrestler is a very good direction for the next few months Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted January 24 Paid Members Posted January 24 Scheduled for Collision tonight: Quote
The King Of Swing Posted January 24 Posted January 24 MJF, boring cunt, same old shit, etc. Other than that a fun show. Seriously though. Any wrestler who doesn't just immediately punch MJF in the mouth when he starts his usual shit, looks like a total idiot. None of Bailey's buddies bothering to help him was funny. Cracking main event. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted January 25 Awards Moderator Posted January 25 (edited) Collision is on a decent run at the moment, it really helps when it feels like it’s tying into Dynamite and not just being ROH+. Oliver and Price haven’t impressed me. In terms of look and ability they both strike me as sub-Nick Waynes and I’m reminded of the timeless quote from SUWA about BritWres lads, “many many skinny guy. Shit. Shiiiiiiit”. Was happy to watch Davis & Doyle murderise them, they’ve happened on a good duo there. We also got back to the Takeshita / Okada story, finally, with the added bonus that Billy Gunn didn’t Jay White either Takeshita or Fletcher. Bang Bang Gang has no luck with injuries though, what’s the longest they’ve managed to have a consistent line up? The women’s tag belts are going to prove really helpful in keeping people on TV who aren’t currently fighting for either singles title. There’s no other reason Jamie Hayter and Windsaaaaa should be teaming up, but if it gets them on screen, good. Couldn’t get into the opener. Unless he comes out with a really genuine sounding statement, I think I’m a bit done with Hangman. I bought his T-shirt last month, the first wrestling shirt I’ve bought since probably Matt Hardy V1. Wasted my money there. I know all wrestlers turn out to be wronguns of some description eventually, but I really hoped Hangman was the exception. That’s why it feels more disappointing than if it’d had been anyone else. Edited January 25 by HarmonicGenerator Me write bad Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 25 Author Paid Members Posted January 25 12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said: Oliver and Price haven’t impressed me. In terms of look and ability they both strike me as sub-Nick Waynes and I’m reminded of the timeless quote from SUWA about BritWres lads, “many many skinny guy. Shit. Shiiiiiiit”. Was happy to watch Davis & Doyle murderise them, they’ve happened on a good duo there. Same here. Price looks like Seth Rollins, if he’d been put through the wash one too many times, and Oliver is very forgettable. Maybe they’ll impress with a bit of time, but right now I’m just not seeing it. Davi’s and Doyle are a good pairing, I just wish they weren’t part of the Callis family! I’d love to see AEW utilise more big men at a higher level. Khan doesn’t seem to be a fan of that style, but an athletic big man or two could really add something different to their upper card. 19 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said: We also got back to the Takeshita / Okada story, finally, with the added bonus that Billy Gunn didn’t Jay White either Takeshita or Fletcher. Bang Bang Gang has no luck with injuries though, what’s the longest they’ve managed to have a consistent line up? It’s very unfortunate. The Gunns are a brilliant tag team, and the stable either White and Juice has real potential to be a fun, upper card act. I prefer White and Juice as babyfaces and The Gunns as heels, but they all work well together regardless of alignment. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted January 25 Posted January 25 If they don't change this guy's name to Mex Luger immediately then I don't even know what we're doing here anymore. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted January 25 Paid Members Posted January 25 A mixed bag this week. Much like @HarmonicGenerator I wasn't arsed about the opener because I'm sour on Hangman at the moment. Him playing up to 'horse-cock' chants just made me feel incredibly grubby. Enjoyed the main event, thought Kris/Isla had a really fun hard-hitting little match and Julia Hart/Willow was really good too, and a nice reminder that Julia can be half-decent when she's not lumbered with Skye Blue. There's still a lot of AEW doing little things backwards that just harm my overall enjoyment of the show. This week they have Ricochet and Don Callis on the golf course talking about how Don Callis's guys are gonna win on last week's Dynamite. So why not show it on Dynamite? We've already seen the matches so this meant absolutely nothing. Just frustrating stuff that could so easily be avoided. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 25 Author Paid Members Posted January 25 5 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: Enjoyed the main event, thought Kris/Isla had a really fun hard-hitting little match and Julia Hart/Willow was really good too, and a nice reminder that Julia can be half-decent when she's not lumbered with Skye Blue. Yeah, I was actually pretty surprised at how good Willow/Hart was. I’ve never really liked Hart as a character, but she really did herself justice here. If ROH was to be treated as a developmental territory, I’d be tempted to send her there for a bit to work on her promos and bring her back when she has a solid identity and gimmick to work with. There’s more to her than I’d given her credit for. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted January 25 Posted January 25 I have zero interest in Alex WINDSOR. Gutted for Queen Aminata. Thought she had great chemistry with Hayter and that they were a convincing pair of bruisers. Hope Riho didn't pay for her matching red and black gear, out of her own pocket. Put the belts on Davis & Doyle loved them chucking The Generic Lads, about. I'm well up for a proper bruiser tag reign. Hell I'd have them smash through FTR, to win the belts. Not happening though, of course. The Ricochet/Callis segment, felt like it was cut from Dynamite, to save time and chucked on Collision. Much better effort from Andrade this week, imo. Didn't enjoy Willow Vs. Julia, as much as others on here. Julia looked completely lost in an early exchange and always looks uncomfortable on the ropes. Good main event. Overall a much better show than last week, imo. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted January 25 Paid Members Posted January 25 Oliver has disappointed me and I was very much on the good side of him being hired. His MLW work being an annoying, mouthy, prick heel was good and his in ring work reflected that but this just feels like two guys who didn't have much going for them tagging together are now fleshing out the division. Almost glad they're not using the Buster and The Brain name on TV as well as it's shite. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 25 Author Paid Members Posted January 25 18 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said: Oliver has disappointed me and I was very much on the good side of him being hired. His MLW work being an annoying, mouthy, prick heel was good and his in ring work reflected that but this just feels like two guys who didn't have much going for them tagging together are now fleshing out the division. Almost glad they're not using the Buster and The Brain name on TV as well as its shite. It’s early days for him, to be fair. I’ve not found him to be particularly impressive, but that doesn’t mean I won’t find him impressive given time. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 11 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said: Almost glad they're not using the Buster and The Brain name on TV as well as it's shite. They used it on ROH last week unfortunately. Agreed, it's a dreadful name. I'm nitpicking massively here, but the reasoning for Billy Gunn replacing Ace Austin bothered me way more than it should have done. They said Ace Austin had travel issues so Billy Gunn stepped in. Except they had already announced on Dynamite that it was Billy and Austin Gunn teaming together. So what, did they know 3 days in advance that Ace Austin would have travel issues? I know the obvious answer is 'Collision was taped immediately after Dynamite', but at least try to maintain the illusion that Collision takes place on a Saturday! And that's before you even get to the fact they showed Ace Austin wrestling on ROH the night before, which just muddies the waters even further. It's just another example of AEW not really caring about the little details, but all these things do is pull me out of the show bit by bit. Andrade might have stumbled across a personality, him taking his kecks off was the most interesting thing he's ever done. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 In their defence @Lorne Malvoim pretty sure they announced Collision was cancelled on Saturday during Dynamite Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted January 26 Paid Members Posted January 26 Captain Edgelord World Champion. Hangman Adam Page scranning with nonces. Meandering, uninspiring television. Tough to be an AEW fan right now. Just wish there was a way to cleanse the timeline. Good grief. That might just do it. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 26 Author Paid Members Posted January 26 12 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said: I'm nitpicking massively here, but the reasoning for Billy Gunn replacing Ace Austin bothered me way more than it should have done. They said Ace Austin had travel issues so Billy Gunn stepped in. Except they had already announced on Dynamite that it was Billy and Austin Gunn teaming together. So what, did they know 3 days in advance that Ace Austin would have travel issues? I think it’s fair enough to feel bothered by it - they made a big deal of Billy choosing The Acclaimed over his sons, and as far as I’m aware they never showed or referenced any sort of reconciliation, unless I missed it (definitely possible). Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.