Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

TKs booking of big men leaves a lot to be desired, and the consistency with Hobbs just wasn't there in AEW, I thought he was great though and WWE in general are the better company for big men but will they too fumble it with him and have him treading water for ages or will they actually use him?

Hope hes not relegated to being something heavy for a long time because he is definitely better than that.

  • Paid Members
Posted

The worry with that is that while WWE isn't the Land Of The Giants that it used to be, how big of a "big man" is Hobbs in WWE? Is it enough to make him stand out there the way he did in AEW?

In terms of consistency, I'm not sure that we can really say AEW doesn't book big men with consistency so much as, outside of a select few, they don't book anyone all that consistently. And for big men, WWE's track record is better, but also littered with big guys who - where AEW might have cooled them off and reheated them the next time a babyface needed a mountain to climb - were turned into dancing, smiling babyfaces or, more recently in the case of Omos, farmed out to other companies. I think being a big powerlifter build rather than a "big man" in the sense of giants could work out better for him, though.

Posted

Is there any chance of aew coming to HBO max when it launches in the UK..I think triller are in debt and can't see them showing aew by the end of the year(I like triller is aew plus subscription is a good option).

  • Paid Members
Posted

I enjoyed the show mostly.

I almost fainted when Kenny Omega interrupted Hangman and Swerve. It's been so long since Omega was a part of the proper main-event title scene that any interaction between him and these guys gets the blood pumping. Of course, they had to immediately go back to Omega vs Callis after this. Like giving somebody a birthday cake then taking a massive shit on it.

Darby vs Pac was great. I swear if Darby is still feuding with Death Riders after this I'm going to lose my mind.

Bryan Keith must be the worlds shittest bounty hunter. They should reboot Dog The Bounty Hunter with this guy but every week he's just shooting himself in the foot and missing out on paydays due to sheer incompetence while Big Bill takes the piss in the background.

Four-way tag would've been much better under standard rules - as a tornado match everyone gave in to their worst instincts and it became a mess. Rubbish, this. Ricochet had a stinker on commentary too.

The womens match was fine and I like the sound of a Thekla/Statlander title feud. It's shit that you can still write 'the womens match' and everyone knows what you're referring to because there's only one.

It's a shame MJF is so dead as a character because he's great in these type of matches. Bandido/MJF probably didn't hit the heights I hoped it would but was still really strong.

The whole company is still missing a spark or any kind of momentum at the moment. I'm enjoying the shows in a vacuum but it just doesn't seem like there's much going on.

  • Paid Members
Posted
8 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Of course, they had to immediately go back to Omega vs Callis after this. Like giving somebody a birthday cake then taking a massive shit on it.

The problem with this Omega/Callis feud is that it's been going on so long I don't even know what the end goal is. Callis's guys have beaten Kenny in matches and there's multiple times they've injured and put him on the shelf. Likewise I don't know what Kenny has to do to finally beat Don Callis. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
38 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The problem with this Omega/Callis feud is that it's been going on so long I don't even know what the end goal is. Callis's guys have beaten Kenny in matches and there's multiple times they've injured and put him on the shelf. Likewise I don't know what Kenny has to do to finally beat Don Callis. 

I think Kenny might be the only person who Don would trust to take a proper bump from, and you'd hope someone finally actually getting their hands on him and properly beating him up would be an eventual pay-off, but God knows when. A while ago I assumed the eventual pay=off would be an Ibushi/Omega/Takeshita trio vs. a Don Callis managed Okada and Young Bucks, but the Bucks have turned face and Ibushi is going to be on the injured list for a long time. 

My hope is that when Takeshita eventually turns (and potentially Kyle Fletcher turning face too, though I would hope that's a long way down the line as he's still doing good work as a heel) he will run through the Callis Family and clear out a lot of the dead weight in the process. If they can get the stable down to a core handful of wrestlers, and have Takeshita and Kenny be the ones to finally take them down, that's the only real "ending" I can think of.

But the alternative is that they just see it as an old reliable to keep coming back to. It's the Heenan Family to Hogan, or Jimmy Hart to Lawler. Whenever they need someone to fill time with Kenny, the Don Callis Family are always going to be there. Whenever they need to heat up a personal issue, there's Kenny's history with Don to lean on. Or in this instance, it might just be as simple as that Kenny has wanted a match with Josh Alexander for a long time, so it kills two birds with one stone to have that happen as part of Kenny's journey back to the main event.

The other thing this has reminded me, though, is that Andrade has now twice returned to AEW by attacking somebody as part of the Don Callis Family, and on neither occasion has it led to a match. Months ago he attacked Kenny, and now even with Andrade back nobody has mentioned it. Last week he returned and attacked JetSpeed and the Bucks, and instead of being involved with them, he's wrestling Angelico on Collision.

Posted

Just been seeing online that Butcher and Blade are looking to return in the near future. Great for the Blade after almost 2yrs out the ring and Butcher I've always thought is underutilised in AEW. 

 

That tag division is really looking good, just hope it doesn't end up being watered down with too many actual teams rather than individuals tagging together for one off matches 

  • Paid Members
Posted

The roster is so big now they might as well bring back Rampage. Half the people on payroll aren't ever going to be able to make regular TV. Ace Austin signed last year and has been seen on TV maybe three times.

  • Paid Members
Posted

That segment was my first time seeing The Rascals and I think I hate them more than anyone else on the roster right now. Awful.

  • Paid Members
Posted

On paper, I thought it was a very uninspiring line-up, but I ended up really enjoying that episode of Collision.

it was nice to see Penelope Ford back, but it’s interesting - and slightly alarming - that Marina Shafir is still hanging around with them, rather than going back to simply being a Death Rider. Why slightly alarming? Well, you have Triangle of Madness; Willow, Harley and Stat and now this team…it’s making me worried that they’re laying the groundwork for Women’s Trios Titles. I’m all for 50/50 gender parity when it comes to TV time, but I wouldn’t be in favour of this.

The men’s trios title match - which was decent - perfectly illustrates why. Those titles have become nothing more than an inconvenience. There’s not really a trios division, just collections of wrestlers that group together to challenge for those belts. It’s hard to build compelling stories around those titles too given the number of people involved.

I hope Andrade succeeds during his second run in AEW, but it’s going to be tough for him given that he’s part of the most tedious stable in wrestling. He looked good against Angelico, but then, ring work was never his problem. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

That segment was my first time seeing The Rascals and I think I hate them more than anyone else on the roster right now. Awful.

It’s interesting that Trey Miguel wasn’t with them. Did he not sign? Whatever the case, I didn’t mind their introduction as much as you, I think they’d work well as a group of obnoxious heels, although I don’t think that was the intention here. It’ll be the outcome though, I suspect.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't think it's possible to have both Trios and Tag titles at the same. One division always ends up gutting the other.

That’s exactly how I feel. Tony Khan doesn’t seem to operate under the principle of ‘less is more’ though, so I don’t expect him ever to recognise that.

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
4 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

On paper, I thought it was a very uninspiring line-up, but I ended up really enjoying that episode of Collision.

Same. There’s a lot I liked about that episode. Groundwork laid for Death Riders against the DCF, and Takeshita being back again. Eddie/Ortiz vs GYV was better than I thought, though I’m not sure where it leads. New trios champions might lead somewhere but you never know with those titles. If that was the last we see of Hobbs in AEW, he looked good in defeat, even if commentary seemed at pains to avoid saying his name unless they absolutely had to. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...