Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Jake Something is fantastic, and I think him and Mark Davis could be a fantastic bruiser tag team so long as he doesn't disappear into the background of the Don Callis Family. Starting out with him against JetSpeed is a good start, as he works well with flippy guys, and has a lot of history with Speedball. Aside from his TNA work (I'd recommend any match with Speedball or Josh Alexander), he had some great matches in Deadlock Pro Wrestling that are well worth checking out, he's just a fantastic worker all-round. 

I did find it very, very funny that they ran an angle requiring a Spanish translator gimmick the week they released Alex Abrahantes.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

@garynysmon will have a better take on this than me, but from what I’ve seen the former Jake Something is good, but my perception of him - and this may be unfair as I totally dropped out of TNA when D’Amore left - is that he’s a little injury prone. 

He’s good, just needs a decent gimmick. Jake ‘Something’ was a carryover from his indy stuff but always screamed ‘low rent’ to me.

I could never figure out why TNA never wanted to push him, and generally assumed he only wanted to sign short term deals and they could never get behind him as a result.

That said, Dreamer and fucking Delirious are booking, so fuck knows. The shows were so much better when hardly anyone was watching them.

Edited by garynysmon
Posted
44 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

The shows were so much better when hardly anyone was watching them.

I can reassure you that “hardly anyone” is still by far the majority demographic for TNA.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Really good standalone show. Decent surprises, good build for next week and several strong matches. Willow's title celebration was great. Absolutely love her. Ricochet in anything is great. Love that bald fraud. MJF & Bandido (and Cruz) did great work. Main event was what it needed to be.

I like Swerve and Hangman being together. From a wrestling storytelling POV, I think they've done more than enough to tell the story of them coming together. There's a fantastic unease they both sell beautifully whenever they're on. To the point that I thought Swerve was gonna deck Hangman as he prepared for the finish. I think that's definitely coming at some point.

I'd love them to lean in to it more tbh. Let's see FTR start stirring the shit and really give these two something to get their teeth into. Sadly, I think the split is more likely than a tag title run.

Fair play to them, they remembered the "bounty" stuff from Collision and got a laugh out of it.

Big picture is still weak as. The surprises aren't as good as they could be when they end up in the Callis Family. Davis & Doyle would be a mint tag team away from that shit. Andrade should have his own group, just not one full of luchadores. They've done that. Hopefully it all falls apart double quick. Callis, if he must be around, should just manage Fletcher.

World Title scene is lacking a big, obvious direction and challengers who feel like they'll take the belt. Women's title scene is lacking anything of substance. Deathriders angle - I have no clue. It felt like the end game would be Darby taking them down, then Hanger taking the belt, then Darby again, then Blood And Guts, then Moxley's downfall and now they're just a faction where a few of them have their own thing going on and everything that happened is almost forgotten.

They need to have a massive clear out, add that to the Jericho money and find one or two acts to be the start of their next big angle. Sadly, it's more likely they bring in a couple of big names from NJPW and stick them in the fucking Callis Family.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Off work today so watched this in my pyjamas over a leisurely breakfast and enjoyed it, for the most part.

Time limit matches being won in the final 10 seconds happens far too often, but I enjoyed Moxley vs Benjamin for what it was.

I get the feeling I could be a big fan of Don's Double D's (Davis & Doyle) if they stick as a team. Nice to see the Young Bucks fully rebooted. It felt novel and I hope it stays that way. Between them, GoA, JetSpeed & FTR there's a lot of decent tag acts in that segment.

I struggle to get over the feeling he really should be a heel, but given Andrade's best work in AEW was probably his face run on Collision just before leaving, I'd have been tempted to bring him back by turning on Callis, citing his "manager" leaving him high & dry during a contract dispute.

That Willow / Harley / Mercedes / Stat / Renee bit was a very, very attractive segment. I'm very much fed up with anyone who holds more than one title being conferred the nickname "Forename Numberofbelts", or any variation thereof. Should have stayed in the empty PC with Bayley.

Some particularly horrid set-ups for the 21Plex between Cruz taking the approach if suddenly leaping into position for it at the last second & MJF going for standing there in an unnatural position for an age. It can look good done right (someone did a lovely job a few weeks ago, maybe Hechicero? Or Mortos?) but good examples are too few & far between for it to be a (presumed) top guy's main finisher.

JR contained the snark for most of the night, but couldn't help himself as the night wore on by shitting on Marina's finish being called Mother's Milk, then acting like Hangman & Swerve were right cunts for getting just revenge on Hook.

Don't know if they had genuine lighting issues during the celebration segment and at the start of the main event, or if they decided to take Lights Out literally before realising that was a horrible idea.

  • Paid Members
Posted

what was the deal with FTR coming out to stare down Andrade? Excalibur said how they had a lot of history together in AEW, and I have no idea what he was talking about. I looked them up on Cagematch, and they were in one multi-man tag together in 2021.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Statto said:

MJF going for standing there in an unnatural position for an age. 

He was there for so long that, especially after already low blowing Bandido (and vice-versa) in that segment, I assumed he was baiting Bandido in and was going to mule kick him in the balls as he got close. But nope, just took forever standing there waiting.

  • Paid Members
Posted
44 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

what was the deal with FTR coming out to stare down Andrade? Excalibur said how they had a lot of history together in AEW, and I have no idea what he was talking about.

Oh yeah, that was one of the weirdest things they've done lately. I was absolutely baffled. I imagine that will never be mentioned again.

  • Paid Members
Posted

When my mind went completely blank on FTR and Andrade ever having history, I just assumed all three may have crossed paths in the Matt Hardy Contract Stairwell Universe. That’s AEW’s version of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

  • Paid Members
Posted

Wasn’t Andrade and FTR associated early in his run when Tully was still with them? Maybe I made it up but even if it was true still weird lore to make a story with 5 years down the line

  • Paid Members
Posted

Wasn’t Andrade and FTR associated early in his run when Tully was still with them? Maybe I made it up but even if it was true still weird lore to make a story with 5 years down the line

Posted

Honestly FTR and Andrade have had no real interactions so I'm assuming either Excalibur got confused or the bookers have accidentally imagined it.

  • Paid Members
Posted

When they appeared on the stage I took it to be because there were a bunch of tag teams (Bucks, GoA, JetSpeed, Davis & Doyle) involved so adding another layer of story to the segment - the tag champs observing their potential challengers brawling.

Was very confused when Excalibur said they were there for Andrade. Wondering if he got the wrong end of the stick?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...