Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted January 7 Awards Moderator Posted January 7 13 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: That whole Shelton Benjamin vs Dante Martin match/promo was rough and horrible. They didn't have much chemistry, they tried to do a 'looking good in defeat' thing but it didn't work because Dante just got his head kicked in all match, Dante did that weird 'my momma didn't raise no bitch' line which made no sense considering he was getting battered. It wasn't some oblique reference to Mama Benjamin from 200-whenever-it-was, was it? Makes even less sense since Dante would have been a very small child when that angle was running, but maybe? Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 7 Author Paid Members Posted January 7 10 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: That whole Shelton Benjamin vs Dante Martin match/promo was rough and horrible. I honestly don’t think they should be pushing Benjamin at the level they are. He’s very good in ring, but at the end of the day he’s 50 and arrived in the company on the back of a career in which he’d mostly been a jobber to the stars. I’d rather see a complete reshuffle of the roster, with a real emphasis on younger, fresher wrestlers. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 7 Paid Members Posted January 7 it's a little worrying that they're not advertising Okada, Takeshita, Kyle Fletcher, or any aspect of the Don Callis Family for Dynamite. The fall-out of Okada screwing Takeshita over at the Continental Classic semi-final is the most intriguing story they have, and they've done nothing with it since the pay-per-view. Yes, Okada and Takeshita were in Japan last week, maybe Kyle Fletcher was out of the country too, who knows? But Don Callis was there. They could have recorded video. They could have done anything but just leave it with barely a mention. I always think a good wrestling show should leave you with a hook for the next one, a reason to tune in to see how something plays out or progresses, and I came out of World's End really wanting to know where that was going, and two weeks later I'm still waiting. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted January 7 Posted January 7 1 hour ago, RedTwoster said: I honestly don’t think they should be pushing Benjamin at the level they are. He’s very good in ring, but at the end of the day he’s 50 and arrived in the company on the back of a career in which he’d mostly been a jobber to the stars. I’d rather see a complete reshuffle of the roster, with a real emphasis on younger, fresher wrestlers. Shelton is only where he is because Tony wants to show he can push him in the way WWE should have, only completing ignoring the fact he's 15-20 years too late on that. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted January 7 Paid Members Posted January 7 It's a shame Khan lost interest in Shelton. They booked him really well in his first 2-3 matches with the company, presenting him as a Lesnar-esque type who was just throwing people around for fun and he looked like a genuine threat. Then once Lashley debuted he instantly took a backseat until their tag title run. A victim of TK wanting to play with his newer, shinier toy instead of running with what he had. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 7 Paid Members Posted January 7 I like Shelton though don't think he should get a major push or anything. I'd give him the TNT title and have him exclusive to Collision, putting on reliable decent TV main event title matches for awhile against younger mid-carders. Build him up as midcard threat to be overcome. Once Lashley is ready he can drop the title and put over someone and move back into the tag scene. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted January 7 Paid Members Posted January 7 I think Shelton has been used pretty perfectly since he came in. He's shown incredible respect, they talk about his genuine achievements, they put him in matches where he can succeed and he's been part of a faction that fans love and a tag team that was hot for a while. The faction itself has been enjoyable for the most part but that whole deal with MJF not having a conclusion was strange. Was thinking this week that it's a shame, in hindsight, that they didn't do more with that because you'd have a perfect first opponent for MJF right about now in Bobby Lashley. 31 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: I like Shelton though don't think he should get a major push or anything. I'd give him the TNT title and have him exclusive to Collision, putting on reliable decent TV main event title matches for awhile against younger mid-carders. Build him up as midcard threat to be overcome. Once Lashley is ready he can drop the title and put over someone and move back into the tag scene. I wouldn't put any belts on him other than tag/trios titles as part of the Hurts. Simply because there are just so many other guys I'd rather be in those positions. Briscoe, Bandido, Brody, Hobbs, Ricochet, Eddie, Kevin Knight and Big Bill are all guys I want to see hold the undercard titles. There was chat in the other thread about the National Title and the justification for it and, honestly, I think Ricochet holding it and being ace justifies anything. Invent him another 4 belts. The big belt is harder because I don't think they've done a good job prepping any of these guys to hold it. Only 9 guys have actually held the AEW Title. Moxley (4), Hangman, Punk, Joe and MJF (2 each), Jericho, Kenny, Bryan and Swerve. The only person who I'd want to make that 10 at the moment is Will Ospreay. I'm fairly certain they've moved it to MJF to facilitate that in the summer. Quote
Infinity Land Posted January 7 Posted January 7 1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said: Shelton is only where he is because Tony wants to show he can push him in the way WWE should have, only completing ignoring the fact he's 15-20 years too late on that. Shelton isn't exactly getting a push. Just willing to do jobs while Lashley is protected. He's like Brody King in House of Black. Probably better off with Shelton getting some TV time here and there instead of Komander and Jay Lethal or the Premier Athletes. Quote
Paid Members I Bent My Wookie Posted January 8 Paid Members Posted January 8 (edited) AEW Dynamite 07/01/2026 Thoughts: Spoiler Opening Thoughts * The AEW set up is so much visually nicer than how bland WWE's can look at times. * JR is looking well, for all his health issues. Hoping it doesn't make for an awkward show if he's massively off the pace. * Mark Davis once nearly broke my hand off my body with a high 5 in Cardiff. Putting him and Jake 'Something' Doyle is like a before and after juice cleanse but it adds two guys who work well in tags together at least. Jahhhhhhhnnnnn Moxley vs Shelton Benjamin * I miss Wild Thing as an entrance. * That being said We Hurt People is a banger. * Take it Gold Standard is still trademarked by WWE? * Liking that they're keeping the CC rules in place, almost gives this title a little more purpose outside of the yearly tournament being for squat. * Just imagine if Shelton had a little more charisma in the 2000s, or at least the size he is now. Could have been a much bigger deal. To be in this shape at his age is fantastic. The man is 50 and I want to be in that shape at 33. That may be my 2026 goal. Look like a 50 year old. * Even if he's reading it from a sheet or teleprompt, JR sounds like he's forgot more in wrestling than we'll ever wish to know. * Moxley has always been at his best when he's not doing any silly bollocks with briefcases or bags (I include WWE in that) and instead just makes everything look like it hurts and counts. * Moxley isn't bleeding yet? 2026 is strange. * Props to Moxley on not over selling Shelton's missed kick. I actually rewound to see if he made any contact from him then stumbling like he just caught him then took control back. Saved the situation when it obviously would have hurt Shelton more. * Never mind there's his nose going. * I mentioned in the NXT thread yesterday how rubbish kick outs are there at times, Moxley is excellent at just kicking out with no energy left. Had me thinking I may have an upset. * Think I'll enjoy the wrinkle in Moxley's armour that he struggled to win. Gave Shelton his flowers, showed Moxley isn't fully at his best yet. Could happily have weeks of these. Good match overall. In Between Observations * That Tanahashi match was excellent. Hopefully we continue the Takeshita and Okada story tonight. * New tag debut maybe to go with Perry? Connors and Drilla from NJPW maybe? Contract season is happening right? * MJF's hair replacement looks ridiculous. * Kenny needs to slow down? Solution? Let's Wrestle more The Demand vs Jack Perry and ??? * Ricochet is having the year of his career. * Never mind, I much prefer The Bucks being back. Proper entrances back as well. Even a few weeks off they are looking much healthier. * Can someone cut and gif Ricochet in the Cowboy hat please? I have endless uses for it. * Jack Perry is continuing to impress me. I worried the face turn would go back to how he was years ago but I'm liking the fire and brawling he has in him these days. * That diving spiked DDT was sick. * Bishop Kaun deserves a solo push. * The Bucks sill inevitably go down as one of the greatest teams of all time but I would love them both in the CC next year. * I've missed a good superkick party. * Ricochet sells so well, you want to see him just keep getting hit in the face. * Jake Doyle is a monster of a man. * Well, looks like that contract issue is fully resolved for Andrade then. * The AEW tag division is pretty stacked. I also love what I only imagine is JRs absolute real disdain for Don Callis. In Between Observations: * Did someone not pay the lighting bill in the arena for Willow's celebration? * Harley's dress is the singular reason alone AEW is not PG. * AEW just throwing kayfabe out the window and going "of course someone will interupt". Pressed for time. * Mercedes Mone in mourning is a look. Makes the New Day doing it months before actually look worse and like they ripped her off. * Well the crowd got cake... * Renee didn't need a second invitation for that conga. * El Clon does look absolutely rubbish. * My current game is to use Mark Briscoe's word of the day in everyday conversation. Gonna be a lot of work to get "reign and defend" casually into a chat. * I wish they wouldn't play up Bandido maybe winning, it won't happen and I will feel sad. * Oh good the horror drama club are talking. Who cuts a promo in a shower other than Val Venis? Why is there electrical equipment in a shower? Sammy Guevara vs Bandido * So Sammy and his ridiculous moustache is like he's watched Dom Mysterio and didn't wanna buy the licensed costume. * I get ROH belts don't mean much, but Bandido carrying his and Sammy not does wind me up. Please, show me more how little success means to you Sammy. * Can't deny he does have talent, even if he does flip too much for a heel. Taking a break to chat on commentary, kick him and then go back was a great little bit to show how in control he thinks he is. * Enjoying Excalibur and JR just chatting like a grandson and his grandad watching TV. * I'm sure Bandido could get a good match out of anyone. Let's hope for an injury free year there. * Still botches more than many, but I guess thats the rule of lucha. * Timing on the springboard cutter was excellent between the two of them. * Jesus Sammy got so much height being sent in the air. * Sammy going from "You Still Suck" chants to "This Is Awesome" wrestling fans must love shiny keys being jangled. * I hate to say it but I hate the 21 Plex, the set up for it where every opponent prepares themselves for a prostate exam the exact same way, its just illogically stupid, even for wrestling. In Between Observations * Genuinely already waiting for MJF to go on vacation again. * Jon Cruz getting TV time was not on my 26 Bingo card in any way. * Jon Cruz sells like an absolute champion but again that set up looks so fucking stupid. * Got through a MJF promo without lobbing my phone, progress. * Always glad for Brody King being presented differently to other monsters, mainly because he looks like he could kill you but would rather have a cuddle. Marina Shafir vs Toni Storm * Its early doors but if they play to Shafir's strengths, rolls, bumps and judo moves this shouldn't be awful. * Lovely to see Yuta and Garcia on a day out watching Mom wrestle. * Can't remember how long Luther was gone but I'm glad he's back. Knowing his history, the fact he looks like an IT technician at a Wedding never fails to make me smile. The over zealous ring slaps are great too. * Toni shouting loud enough "God it hurts" so the camera can hear but the audience can't just shows how good she's got at being a TV character over a wrestling. * That between the ropes head scissors was awful. It never goes well. * Simple things like actually throwing your opponent into the buckle adds to a match, Marina just pulling her a little was nothing. * Marina just knocking people out though never gets old. * Orange Cassidy is a stud. In Between Observations * PAC looks like he should be running a social club on the Toon. * Does Darby always just have some form of fire apparatus near by? Lights Out Match * So maybe the Lights was being tested earlier for Willow? * First Dynamite of 2026 being headlined by Hobbs and Hook. Maybe they are light on top tier talent. * Hangman always being able to find a beer. The kinda man you want beside you on a night out. Also that his social handle is bsky not X, what a man. * You'd be so pissed to be in an arena for this and hardly be able to see shit. * Well that lasted long, guess they also realised it made shit TV as the cameras were struggling to keep up. * Small details but I always like how Hangman dresses down for these fights, no thrills just fists. * Of all the suplexes to throw, that one was not the one. * Fans chanting for tables, Hangman obliges because he's the guy you'd take home to your mother. * Good work by Hook there to adjust positioning after the table moved (I think?) to throw Page through. * One of life's mysteries, why is there alw ays a staple gun near a wrestling ring? Do they not staple their notes at announce before hand. * Will Hobbs is a machine but nobody wants a staple to your mickleberries. * "Sir, 6 cinder blocks are missing" "There'll be no hospital then, I'll tell the children" Damn you Hangman * Turns out there's 9. * And they did not move at all. You'd hope for a little give there. * Thought the first Dojo guy was Griff Garrison. Genuinely, gives me PTSD about seeing Lexis King last night. * That chain flip reversal was pretty well done, especially as Hook being dumb as hell and paying no attention shows he's still that dense as hell kid. * Spike Deadeye will be beautiful when they both win the tag titles. * Hangman's crazy eyes are something else. How someone so warm and loving can be absolutely mental is great. Overall thoughts: An easier two hour watch than the previous two nights but still some faults. Adding more members to the Callis family means even more time of Don and nobody wants that. But the tag division looks like its gained even more strength. Moxley having 20 minute bouts every week will batter his body even more but at the same time he's proved why when you don't bollock around he's quality. The women's division is a bit of a mess no matter how fun it is. Thekla is not championship quality and Mercedes in meltdown should be nowhere near a title match to sell it further. There just isn't anyone who could win the belts right now that would make sense to current programming. But it was good to see JR back and looking somewhat healthy as he could after everything, even though it did feel like they could have brought him out for the main event, he started to sound tired and a little fed up by the end. The New Japan guys need to get back ASAP before even more people care less about continuing that storyline. Edited January 8 by I Bent My Wookie Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 8 Paid Members Posted January 8 (edited) Like most Dynamite's at the moment a perfectly easy and fine watch but it also feels like absolutely nothing is happening on these shows. No big stories at all at the moment and everyone seemingly stuck in place. The Willow segment was easily the best part of the show. Mercedes was great here. Never seen Jake Doyle, is he any good? If The Don Callis Family is going to keep adding members every week it'd be good if they actually all had something to do though. They mostly all hang around doing fuck all. At least give them the Trios titles. Shafir/Storm was pretty decent. Shafir starts to fall apart whenever she does anything too complicated or flashy - keep it simple! Like when she fucked up that weird 619 choke thing, afterwards she just brutally booted Toni in the head and it was fucking awesome. Don't try to be fancy Marina, just kick people in the head! When he had them both in his arms I half expected Orange Cassidy to do his own take of Tommy Dreamer's "I'll take 'em both, I'm hardcore!". When everyone was arguing outside the ring and Claudio Castagnoli just appeared as if from nowhere out of the crowd in that back of the shot he looked terrifying. I think there's something more there with him and if they ever advance the Mox/Deathriders story would like to see him get a renewed push. Bandidio's "I speak English, you son of a bitch!" was great. He needs to be a 2026 booking project. If he's not a genuine main event level guy by the end of the year they've fucked up massively. Feels like Darby Allin's moment as a top singles act has come and gone. Once he's hopefully done with the Deathriders soon I think they should try turning him heel. If you've ever seen Darby Allin do an out of character interview he has a weird slightly unlikeable energy which I think he could channel into a heel character. I don't really think the fans are invested in him much as a babyface anymore. HOOK's heel turn was definitely a good decision. AEW is great at having these annoying, gobby little twat heels and HOOK is looking like he will develop into another good one of them. Weird that they had a Lights Out No DQ match the week before a show called Maximum Carnage. Surely it would have better fit that show? I'm not against The Opps having a dojo full of scrubs who turn up to cause trouble and get beaten up but I wish they had a vignette or something to introduce that The Opps even had a dojo before they started turning up every week. Swerve and Hangman are so great together as a team but the lazy non-existing storytelling around it is a massive shame. They've never established why Swerve and Hangman are now teaming. Or why Swerve helped Hangman against The Opps. Are they friends? Are they enemies putting the feud aside to deal with a common foe? What are their goals? Just ANYTHING would be nice. But if they stick with them and add some flesh to the bones they are a top act together. You could easily main event a PPV with a Swerve/Hangman vs FTR tag titles match I think. The booking possibilities of them together are huge. But they've got to add some detail to get the most out of it. It should feel like a huge deal but it doesn't. Edited January 8 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted January 8 Author Paid Members Posted January 8 27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Never seen Jake Doyle, is he any good? @garynysmon will have a better take on this than me, but from what I’ve seen the former Jake Something is good, but my perception of him - and this may be unfair as I totally dropped out of TNA when D’Amore left - is that he’s a little injury prone. The fact he’s in the Don Callis family has soured me on him somewhat, same goes for Andrade. Never has a faction needed to go away as much as this one does. 35 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Swerve and Hangman are so great together as a team but the lazy non-existing storytelling around it is a massive shame. They've never established why Swerve and Hangman are now teaming. Or why Swerve helped Hangman against The Opps. Are they friends? Are they enemies putting the feud aside to deal with a common foe? What are their goals? I didn’t initially have an issue with the idea of Hangman and Swerve teaming together, but the more this goes on, the more I feel this shouldn’t be happening; at least not consistently. If it’s to happen, it should be to ward off a significant threat - the Death Riders made absolute sense, but The Opps isn’t that threat. There should still be an underlying tension between the pair given their history, but now they seem positively friendly with one another. I don’t like that at all. 5 hours ago, I Bent My Wookie said: Jon Cruz getting TV time was not on my 26 Bingo card in any way. Nor mine, but that’s mainly because I had no idea who he even was. Google tells me he’s actually Serpentico?! Was he unmasked on a b-show or ROH or something? I know the AEW title has jumped around a bit in recent months, but I think they should do something slightly unexpected and put the belt on Bandido next week. MJF isn’t offering anything new, and the belt should still be on Hangman, frankly. But it isn’t, so they should go with the guy who feels fresh and exciting; someone who would shake things up significantly if he were to become champion at this point. A decent-length run before dropping the belt to Okada could be just what the doctor ordered. 45 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Shafir/Storm was pretty decent. Shafir starts to fall apart whenever she does anything too complicated or flashy - keep it simple! Agreed completely, although I think you and @I Bent My Wookie rate her far more highly than I do. I think she’s rubbish, a real throwback to the bad old days when the AEW women’s division consisted of people like Britt Baker and Big Swole. Given her limitations, I don’t think there’s much point in persisting with her when there are so many more talented female wrestlers on the roster. Quote
The King of Old School Posted January 8 Posted January 8 Weekly reminder that having Swerve/Hangman become mates and regularly team up after everything they have been through is one of the worst things AEW have ever done. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted January 8 Paid Members Posted January 8 @RedTwosterSerpentico is still Serpentico. One of my favourite running jokes on socials is Nyla Rose’s hatred of Serpentico but she likes Jon Cruz. Cruz was also MJF’s assistant in CMLL, so I’m glad it’s finally come over to AEW. On a separate note, I thought the first hour was really good. But what I liked the most were the small things, both involved Renee. The first was her little conversation in between entrances talking about the C2. I liked it during the tournament and glad it still carried on. The second was the backstage segment where we got the reveal of the former Jake Something. Because that was put out on AEW’s social media before the show, and a massive complaint has always been the things they do there are not shown on TV. I hope this is something they continue with in 2026. Quote
Infinity Land Posted January 8 Posted January 8 32 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: Nor mine, but that’s mainly because I had no idea who he even was. Google tells me he’s actually Serpentico?! Was he unmasked on a b-show or ROH or something? He's been doing jobs as Serpentico/Jon Cruz for years. He'd often work twice in the Dark days switching between gimmicks. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted January 8 Paid Members Posted January 8 I thought Mercedes was fantastic here. Coming out in her depressing outfit, completely bereft and immediately throwing a psychotic tantrum. Powerbombing someone onto a cake is exactly the type of thing I love to see in wrestling. I think her story is the only thing I'm actually interested in at the moment. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.