Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Roderick Strong would benefit from being in a heel faction. I would have just left it a week and got him in with either The Opps or War Dogs, rather than further muddying the waters of the Death Riders.

The Opps is a good call, they need a boost. I laughed at them saying that in Samoa Joe's injury absence that HOOK was now the "captain" of The Opps.

Firstly...Captain Hook...c'mon.

With Joe injured The Opps is literally two people.  The other person is Shibata who has been wrestling for 26 years. But now his boss is someone who is 26 years old and has probably had less than 100 matches. 

It's all a bit silly. Shibata and Roderick Strong would probably be a pretty badass heel team. I'd happily watch them brutalising all the skinny flippy teams.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

AEW have released a couple of match posters for GrandSlam tomorrow:

Image

Image

 

I wonder if we could see Buddy Matthews tomorrow? I don't think he's been seen since he got injured at GrandSlam last year.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I didn’t think Brody King would win the AEW World title when it looked like we were heading for an MJF/Brody match, but now it kinda feels like the right thing to do. He’s the hottest wrestler in AEW right now and arguably the hottest act in wrestling full stop. They should strike while the iron is hot rather than waiting until it cools down a bit.

Posted
13 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I didn’t think Brody King would win the AEW World title when it looked like we were heading for an MJF/Brody match, but now it kinda feels like the right thing to do. He’s the hottest wrestler in AEW right now and arguably the hottest act in wrestling full stop. They should strike while the iron is hot rather than waiting until it cools down a bit.

MJF was/is beating Hangman or Andrade at Revolution. As a main event I don't think either match has a ton of interest in it. The Scurll pic for Hangman has cooled him off to some of his more vocal fans. Let Hangman & Jetspeed do something with those Trios Titles.

Brody as champion with both MJF and Andrade in the chase could play to everyone's strengths in the lead up to Revolution. A one month reign for Brody with MJF sneaking it back at Revolution would do both the world of good and would leave TK's spreadsheet booking intact if he's too stubborn to do a longer pivot.  

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just a quick heads up, there are spoilers online for GrandSlam.

They released one more poster:

Image

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
3 minutes ago, Kamran said:

Just a quick heads up, there are spoilers online for GrandSlam.

They released one more poster:

 

I was just coming in here to check what the time difference was so I knew when to avoid spoilers from! Thank you!

  • Paid Members
Posted

Mixed tag was an excellent bit of business. Everyone involved played their parts perfectly. Toni is the best wrestler in the world. OC is so fucking great it's taken for granted. Yuta is a brilliant heel - maybe the only genuine real heel in the business as far as I can tell, and Shafir looked like a killer.

Mox as the grumpy parent sending his troublesome kid back to take his punishment was wonderful. 10 out of 10.

Takeshita/Mox had a brilliant closing stretch. 

Rest of the show was fine/slightly boring. No time for ladder matches anymore. Harley Cameron still has a long way to go in ring. And I think we need to start talking about Brody King as an excellent tag wrestler but a very uninspiring average singles wrestler. 

I could not give a fuck at all about MJF vs Hangman on PPV. The reheated dinner vs the ice cold friend of a nonce. Tragic scenes.

Posted (edited)

The problem I have with MJF/Page is not that Page has cooled off because of that, because he hasn't to me as a character. It's because I know MJF is winning because something Tony Khan is bad at that creeped into WWE booking a lot is 'the plan'. Hopefully there is some form of pivot because if it's a heel again and MJF holding the title in a pattern until All In, another SEVEN MONTHS away to drop it to Will Ospreay, they can absolutely fuck off with that.

Oh, that Mixed Hair Match was fucking brilliant. What wrestling should be. Tons of fun, Wheeler Yuta is a fantastic dickhead and does being a little weasely shit properly with no aim for being even ironically/against the grain cheered.

Edited by Chili
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

IMG_5124.thumb.jpeg.b7d54e0ffa213aebc2ca58600b4769d4.jpeg

Look! They’re wrestling each other on the same show as last year! Can you not see the symmetry?! It is clever! It’s not an awful exercise in refusing to read the room and sticking with THE PLAN when you should so obviously pivot!

Terrible decision. Justice for Andrade! Justice for Brody!

The parallels between CM Punk and Hangman Adam Page will never cease to amaze me. Both succeeded by finding that sweet spot blurring fiction and reality, allowing their fans to develop a borderline para-social relationship, believing their real life personalities were reflected onscreen.

CM Punk was a hyper-principled, counter-culture punk rock kid for real! It said so on Teletext! Adam Page was a progressive Bluesky warrior in real life! Powerslam told me!

And then in both cases their entire act crumbled to dust when it was revealed it was just as big a work as Duke the Dumpster Droese being on the bins. Punk was actually a Blood Money Dick Sucker. A Hunter Hearst Helmsley Hugger. Page was actually willing to get 2-for-1 on mains and desserts with a nonce. A Sex Pest Sympathiser.

You assume, similar to Punk, I’ll eventually get over it with Hangman and still enjoy what is demonstrably a wildly talented performer. What even is pro-wrestling if it isn’t accepting that everyone and everything is fucking awful and I have to just accept it if I want to enjoy anything?

But as of right now? I couldn’t give a fuck about Hangman Adam Page. Last year, I jumped out of my seat and punched the air when he beat Will Ospreay and earned a Title Shot. It was life affirming. This year, I wasn’t even paying attention. I had to look up from my phone in order to roll my eyes. I was more engrossed in a Tik Tok about Jesse Nelson leaving Little Mix.

I don’t know what the answer is with Hangman, but I know for a fact that it’s not scripting spots in his matches where he takes selfies with Andrade’s fans. Last thing you should be doing right now is reminding people of Hangman Adam Page taking selfies, you empty headed dumb fucks!

Rest of the show was fantastic.

That final thirty second stretch in Moxley vs. Takeshita is what I imagine heroin feels like. What a fucking rush! Excited for them to rematch at the pay per view.

Hair vs. Hair Mixed Tag was everything I adore about pro-wrestling. Wild fun. The catharsis of them shaving Yuta’s head whilst Toni Storm calls him a, “bald bastard,” is what this business is all about. Moxley forcing Yuta to go back and adhere to the stipulation was a great touch, too. Bonus points for how this was the most Moxley has ever looked like Phil Mitchell. This legitimately looks like a scrap in the Queen Vic!

IMG_5128.thumb.jpeg.41c57a0c37c663f7fbb54c28ae3b2947.jpeg

I’ve got less than zero time for Ladder Matches in 2026, but fucking hell. Kyle Fletcher and Mark Briscoe willing to die to drag something out of what is essentially a dead gimmick. Mark Briscoe especially. What a talent. What a nutter. I hope he’s paid handsomely for his sacrifices.

More, “Fuck ICE,” chants! Fuck yeah! Body rules. Still terrified he’ll get arrested or something when he flies back to that dystopian nightmare of a country.

Good main event. Funny how quickly things can change. Last year, at Forbidden Door, MJF felt like he was dragging down Hangman’s reign. This year, Hangman and the dark cloud that follows him feels like it’s dragging down MJF’s. Fair play to Max. This run is quietly working and delivering the goods. He’s tightened everything up and avoided his worst instincts*. It’s actually working! By the time he bumps his arse off for Ospreay in Wembley, I’ll be positively giddy!

*I reserve the right to take it all back if/when MJF makes a rubbish, edgy joke about Marty Scurll on this week’s Dynamite.

“What’s the matter Seabiscuit…am I not The Villain you wanted to break bread with?”

To end on a positive, this is probably the best two-hit Dynamite/Collision combination in years. Both WWE and AEW having a great run in 2026 thus far. I’m going to enjoy it whilst it lasts. We’re probably only a few days away from them announcing a Scorpio Sky match for next week’s Collision.

IMG_5123.thumb.jpeg.5f6241239cae726e23a313f540189bb2.jpeg

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
Posted

Grand Slam was an episode that managed to showcase what I like and dislike about AEW all at the same time.

The wrestling was great - I don’t think there was a match that I didn’t enjoy. I wouldn’t say the same thing about the results though, and that’s where the ‘dislike’ part comes in.

Tony Khan, for the most part, sticks rigidly to ‘the plan’. Obviously I don’t know what that is, but I can speculate - and I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be better than doing something shocking and having at least one result that got people talking.

Ideally that result would have been Brody King winning the World title - he’s the hottest act in the company right now, everyone is talking about him and that would have been a buzz-worthy outcome. I do worry that they’re planning to have him turn on Bandido and chase the ROH World title - but we’ll see as far as that goes.

I’m not a fan of ‘swerving the fans’ for the sake of it, but AEW’s booking could do with the occasional twist in the tale. It’s very pedestrian, and rarely leaves you desperate to see what happens next. I enjoyed this show, but there’s no part of me that feels the need to watch Dynamite on the back of it. They need to change their approach, I think. 

Posted

Hair match was by far the highlight this week. Marina also brought her best trash talking game. 

Everything else was mostly good/great from an in ring perspective, but pretty uninspiring from a booking standpoint. 

Booking two title changes on Dynamite, felt like TK trying to soften the upcoming blow for nothing of real consequence happening at Grand Slam. 

Thekla winning was obvious due to booking a rematch so close to the previous match AND adding a stipulation. 

Fletcher feels like he's stuck in a TNT holding pattern but I don't really mind since I don't buy into him as a main eventer. 

Shit finish to MJF/Brody.

Hangman coming out post match, to barely any reaction was a tragic sight.

Other stuff happened. Can't really be arsed to get into any of it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...