Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted June 23, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 23, 2025 They make Nutella Ice Cream now so I wouldn't eat anything else. I will be dead soon. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 20 hours ago, Fog Dude said: Bought a Feast for over £3 at the zoo this past Tuesday. I realise a place like that can effectively hold you to ransom, but I'm sure when I was little even a top-of-the-range stick from the freezer like a Magnum would cost under a quid. It’s so funny that I went to Chester Zoo yesterday and seeing a Feast for £3 was what I took away from that experience too. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 £3 for a Feast! No chance. When I was young and we used to get an ice cream at the seaside I remember thinking that a Magnum must be amazing because it was the only thing on there that cost a whole pound. Quote
davertfnewman Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 3 hours ago, Carbomb said: It's a good job it wasn't this guy serving them: Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted June 23, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 23, 2025 From Sheepmasks's post in another topic, my daughter put "Taylor Swift Vinyl" on her birthday list. When did normal records start costing £45? There were some cheaper but I'm not risking having to collect the fucking Swiftie songbook at £45 a pop so I didn't get her started! On minor irritations, her and her friends talk about "Vinyl players". I get irrationally annoyed. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 1 hour ago, tiger_rick said: From Sheepmasks's post in another topic, my daughter put "Taylor Swift Vinyl" on her birthday list. When did normal records start costing £45? There were some cheaper but I'm not risking having to collect the fucking Swiftie songbook at £45 a pop so I didn't get her started! On minor irritations, her and her friends talk about "Vinyl players". I get irrationally annoyed. New Vinyl can be very expensive, partly due to it being so expensive for a dealer to even get the stock from the supplier. Someone in the Vinyl Thread mentioned about a reissue of Beastie Boys ‘Ill Communication’ costing the dealer £73 just to get the stock in the shop. As for someone like Taylor Swift, everything she puts out on Vinyl is essentially a Limited Edition - limited to a certain number of copies, maybe the odd colour variant, but once they’re gone they’re gone, her stuff doesn’t don’t tend to get repressed. She’s done great stuff for Record Store Day, but it goes quickly and you can bet that half of it is on the secondary market by the end of the morning. If you’re quick off the mark when something gets announced and manage to get in a pre-order, you can get stuff for a respectable price. Im still very new to the hobbie (only started collecting last year), but very quickly I found that building a collection would involve a lot of buying second hand from Vinted & eBay. Quote
Merzbow Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 (edited) Wild how Ethel Cain just had a limited indie only variant that still only sold for like £23 though, for a double LP. Prices are wildly inconsistant even with special editions and the like, some labels are just taking the absolute piss. US imports are currently crazy, is it costing that much to get a shipment over? Edited June 23, 2025 by Merzbow Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 (edited) 13 hours ago, Merzbow said: Wild how Ethel Cain just had a limited indie only variant that still only sold for like £23 though, for a double LP. Prices are wildly inconsistant even with special editions and the like, some labels are just taking the absolute piss. US imports are currently crazy, is it costing that much to get a shipment over? You’re absolutely right , things are wildly inconsistent but it’s a tale as old as time. If you’re mostly into mainstream pop on major labels, they’ll gouge you for every penny. If you’re into more niche stuff on smaller labels, you’ll be paying enough for them to be making a small profit. As for US Imports, if you can get it on Amazon and you have Prime you can still get free delivery but it’ll take about 10 days to get to you (you can pay £10 and get it about 3-4 days), but I’ve found www.imusic.uk to be a good place to get stuff. They’re based in Denmark so again you might have a bit of a wait (they’re usually around 5 days from dispatch to arrival) but they’re prices tend to be a bit cheaper and postage is about £5 Edited June 24, 2025 by WyattSheepMask Quote
davertfnewman Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 A scene I've just rewatched on YouTube from Seven is when Somerset has Mills cough up all his cash so that they can put it together as a payoff for an FBI guy, played by Flass from Batman Behins, to get info for them. What's playing in the background of all the songs? Love Plus One by Haircut 100! Quote
TibBo Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 My dad’s been in hospital for a few weeks and the price of newspapers is utterly taking the piss. I swear the last time I bought a paper it was about 20p… I got fleeced for £2.50ish on Sunday! Can’t remember the exact price because of the shock… Quote
Fog Dude Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 25 minutes ago, TibBo said: My dad’s been in hospital for a few weeks and the price of newspapers is utterly taking the piss. I swear the last time I bought a paper it was about 20p… I got fleeced for £2.50ish on Sunday! Can’t remember the exact price because of the shock… On a similar note, the going rate for monthly magazines seems to be £5.99 a pop these days. Weeklies aren't as dear but they used to be under a quid. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 On 6/21/2025 at 2:59 PM, Scratch said: I paid £1.70 to post a small birthday card first class today. When I started full time employment, first class stamps were 26p. I realise that is way cheaper and more convenient than driving it to Romford myself, but that does seem like a big jump. I’m not sure how it is for others, but it feels as though we wait quite a long time for mail to arrive these days. Quite often I’ll get a confirmation letter from the bank or something that’s dated 5 or 6 days before I receive it. I’ve got a lot of respect for posties* and it feels as though they’re asking to do more and more, with some deliveries not coming until gone tea time. * Apart from the bloke married into the family who worked as a postie and was stealing a shed load of games, CDs and DVDs over quite a long time. When he got caught and charged, he somehow managed to get away with a slap on the wrist and no prison time by claiming he was suffering from PTSD following a ride on a Mickey Mouse ride a few years back on a family holiday ?♂️ Hi there, glad you never asked. So what we are currently undergoing in work is a massive change in the service. For the first time since the initial universal agreement that we’d deliver mail anywhere and everywhere 6 days a week we’ve agreed to downsize the service levels with only first class mail having a guarantee of being delivered on the day we receive it (apart from Saturdays) in the delivery office and second and lesser having a 2-3 day window on it. This is to ensure that we can bin off 25% of the workforce whilst increasing the remaining 75%’s work load from a 30% call rate to 70% call rate meaning we will deliver 2-3 times what we do now on a daily basis. A clever part of this plan is to put the price of stamps up so that we basically treat 1st class stamps as a premium service whilst encouraging the dying mail service to die quicker so we can lose more staff and deliver more profitable items. So what you will get for your premium service will be even shitter service than you get now delivered by even shitter posties who give even less shits about the service we provide because we’ll be overworked like never before. The good news is that we’ve temporarily halted this going through whilst we argue over a pay deal, they won’t budge from 4% and we want more. Expect more viral videos of posties kicking doggo’s in the near future. Quote
RIDDUM_N_STYLE Posted June 23, 2025 Posted June 23, 2025 1 hour ago, Fog Dude said: On a similar note, the going rate for monthly magazines seems to be £5.99 a pop these days. Weeklies aren't as dear but they used to be under a quid. I can attest to this, if I have a month where I can bag Wrestletalk and Inside The Ropes magazines at the same time, it’s £12. That same amount 20 years ago would have got me PowerSlam, FHM, Loaded and one of either FourFourTwo, GamesMaster, Total Film or Empire It’s why I got Cafeyn through my phone contract, I pay £8 a month and download 4-5 magazines a month (SFX, FourFourTwo, World Soccer, Retro Gamer and occasionally Late Tackle) and on current rrp it saves me about £15-20 not buying the physical copy Quote
DavidB6937 Posted June 24, 2025 Author Posted June 24, 2025 Yeah as much as I love having physical copies of stuff, I've definitely been priced out when I know there are digital subscriptions for so much cheaper. I mean obviously it makes sense because there's no printing costs but still. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 24, 2025 Members Posted June 24, 2025 This for a copy of When Saturday Comes yesterday. I have never been able to get on with reading digitally otherwise I'd definitely subscribe to something. One thing that we haven't discussed I think is the price of coffee. Even an americano is expensive these days. Grow up coffee shops. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.