Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted June 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 21, 2025 Genuinely the first can of Coke I bought was 15p. I was only 6 though. Quote
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted June 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 21, 2025 Now, when I first bought a Coke it cost a nickel, and in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. 'Give me five bees for a quarter' you'd say. Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted June 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 21, 2025 I paid £1.70 to post a small birthday card first class today. When I started full time employment, first class stamps were 26p. I realise that is way cheaper and more convenient than driving it to Romford myself, but that does seem like a big jump. I’m not sure how it is for others, but it feels as though we wait quite a long time for mail to arrive these days. Quite often I’ll get a confirmation letter from the bank or something that’s dated 5 or 6 days before I receive it. I’ve got a lot of respect for posties* and it feels as though they’re asking to do more and more, with some deliveries not coming until gone tea time. * Apart from the bloke married into the family who worked as a postie and was stealing a shed load of games, CDs and DVDs over quite a long time. When he got caught and charged, he somehow managed to get away with a slap on the wrist and no prison time by claiming he was suffering from PTSD following a ride on a Mickey Mouse ride a few years back on a family holiday ?♂️ Quote
Tamura Posted June 21, 2025 Posted June 21, 2025 I remember when I smoked at one point you could get 20 Mayfair for £2.59 (I always looked for shops that sold the ones with the price on the packet, to stop retailer markup), just checked on Tesco and it's now £15.25 for a pack, although I'm sure a lot of that is the seemingly annual tax increase. It's probably cheaper to be addicted to crack than nicotine these days... Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted June 21, 2025 Posted June 21, 2025 3 hours ago, Scratch said: I paid £1.70 to post a small birthday card first class today. When I started full time employment, first class stamps were 26p. I realise that is way cheaper and more convenient than driving it to Romford myself, but that does seem like a big jump. I’m not sure how it is for others, but it feels as though we wait quite a long time for mail to arrive these days. Quite often I’ll get a confirmation letter from the bank or something that’s dated 5 or 6 days before I receive it. I’ve got a lot of respect for posties* and it feels as though they’re asking to do more and more, with some deliveries not coming until gone tea time. * Apart from the bloke married into the family who worked as a postie and was stealing a shed load of games, CDs and DVDs over quite a long time. When he got caught and charged, he somehow managed to get away with a slap on the wrist and no prison time by claiming he was suffering from PTSD following a ride on a Mickey Mouse ride a few years back on a family holiday ?♂️ i think 1st class stamps will hit £2 next April. I would suggest stocking up as they last forever and are just going to keep increasing. Nuts they were still under a quid in 2022. McDonald's and KFC can piss off with their £8 with no sides or drinks Special burgers. I feel like my grandad but fucking £8 for a bloody McDonald's burger. Apparently KFC had one for £10 recently as well. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted June 21, 2025 Posted June 21, 2025 (edited) My misses rang me in the way and said about getting a takeaway. A Chicken & Donar Wrap each, Garlic Bread w/ Cheese to share, Chips to share, 10 onion rings (5 each) and a can each £29! I can do a weeks shopping for that if I buy smart. I’ve told her that that’s now a bimonthly treat instead of a monthly one (and yes you can stick that in the no context thread) Edited June 21, 2025 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 21, 2025 Members Posted June 21, 2025 2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: My misses rang me in the way and said about getting a takeaway. A Chicken & Donar Wrap each, Garlic Bread w/ Cheese to share, Chips to share, 10 onion rings (5 each) and a can each £29! I can do a weeks shopping for that if I buy smart That really doesn't seem that bad. Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted June 21, 2025 Posted June 21, 2025 6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: That really doesn't seem that bad. I know your a Londoner but that would probably have been half that for most of the UK 5 years ago. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 21, 2025 Members Posted June 21, 2025 2 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said: I know your a Londoner but that would probably have been half that for most of the UK 5 years ago. I'm not. I'm not saying I'm happy that all costs 30 quid, but when you break it down its not too bad given everything costs 400 million pounds these days. Large Chicken and doner wrap is roughly a tenner at the local kebab van, so that's a score gone straight away. Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted June 21, 2025 Posted June 21, 2025 6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I'm not. I'm not saying I'm happy that all costs 30 quid, but when you break it down its not too bad given everything costs 400 million pounds these days. Large Chicken and doner wrap is roughly a tenner at the local kebab van, so that's a score gone straight away. Its bad when it is doubling in price in 5 years. If that continues where is say fish and chips in 10 years time to feed a family of 4 ? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 21, 2025 Members Posted June 21, 2025 27 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said: Its bad when it is doubling in price in 5 years. If that continues where is say fish and chips in 10 years time to feed a family of 4 ? Again, I'm not saying it's good it's going up in price that rapidly. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted June 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 21, 2025 A large cod around here is over a tenner, that’s on its own. Chips is at least another £3. Quote
RIDDUM_N_STYLE Posted June 21, 2025 Posted June 21, 2025 4 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said: i think 1st class stamps will hit £2 next April. I would suggest stocking up as they last forever and are just going to keep increasing. Nuts they were still under a quid in 2022. McDonald's and KFC can piss off with their £8 with no sides or drinks Special burgers. I feel like my grandad but fucking £8 for a bloody McDonald's burger. Apparently KFC had one for £10 recently as well. That’s what’s putting me off trying Wingstop, they have a combo deal of tenders, wings and fries for £13-14 but no drink, you have to pay an extra £2-4 for a milkshake or soft drink I’m finding more that Taco Bell and Popeyes are better value at the moment for food at cost. I can get a decent combo meal in either for under a tenner that’s also fresh compared to the lukewarm burgers and fries at McDs or the greasy 6 hour under hot lights chicken at KFC Quote
Shirtie Posted June 22, 2025 Posted June 22, 2025 We had a Cadbury vending machine in School in 1996, 25p for a bar Boosts,dairy milks,crunchies Etc It was the reason I was a fat bastard.. ? Quote
DavidB6937 Posted June 22, 2025 Author Posted June 22, 2025 Greggs is another place that I swear is more expensive every bloody time I go in the place. Sure it's "only 5p" or whatever but when you're doing it every few months it's cheeky as fuck. Places like that were only really appealing because they were cheap. Definitely starting to lose that now for me anyway. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.