Paid Members waters44 Posted June 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 24, 2025 7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: This for a copy of When Saturday Comes yesterday. I have never been able to get on with reading digitally otherwise I'd definitely subscribe to something. One thing that we haven't discussed I think is the price of coffee. Even an americano is expensive these days. Grow up coffee shops. Crikey that's a mad price. Gardener's World is £7.50 but at least you get some free seeds Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 24, 2025 Members Posted June 24, 2025 23 minutes ago, waters44 said: Crikey that's a mad price. Gardener's World is £7.50 but at least you get some free seeds Yeah as others have said, seems about the going rate these days. I don't mind it as a one (two, five, seven) off a month but yeah gone are the days when you could come out with 4 mags for a tenner. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted June 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 24, 2025 The circulation is tiny these days for all papers and mags. It'll cost more per copy to design, print and distribute. Plus they're trying to turn a profit from far less people. It is eye opening though. I started doing something for our local paper last year. I was gonna buy a copy to see the first one but it was £2.50 so I took a photo instead! Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 24, 2025 Members Posted June 24, 2025 16 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: The circulation is tiny these days for all papers and mags. It'll cost more per copy to design, print and distribute. Plus they're trying to turn a profit from far less people. It is eye opening though. I started doing something for our local paper last year. I was gonna buy a copy to see the first one but it was £2.50 so I took a photo instead! Yeah I've written for a couple of (very) small football magazines but always declined buying an issue as it was too much! I'll take the pdf thanks. Quote
Paid Members waters44 Posted June 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 24, 2025 I get so much joy from my twice annual trip into WH Smith’s in town to look at the magazines. It amazes me what’s there. I swear there’s at least five different monthly mags dedicated to classic tractors. Long live the niche hobbies! Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 24, 2025 Members Posted June 24, 2025 Just now, waters44 said: I get so much joy from my twice annual trip into WH Smith’s in town to look at the magazines. It amazes me what’s there. I swear there’s at least five different monthly mags dedicated to classic tractors. Long live the niche hobbies! Yeah people moan about Smiths being a money laundering racket or whatever, but their magazine selection is absolutely superb, and really the only place you can get most smaller or more niche publications these days. I love a magazine, reminder we have a great magazine thread Please share anything you buy etc Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted June 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted June 24, 2025 (edited) 8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Yeah I've written for a couple of (very) small football magazines but always declined buying an issue as it was too much! I'll take the pdf thanks. I've done the preview for 442 for quite a few years. They say every year that they'll send me one and never have. Tight bastards. 5 minutes ago, waters44 said: I get so much joy from my twice annual trip into WH Smith’s in town to look at the magazines. It amazes me what’s there. I swear there’s at least five different monthly mags dedicated to classic tractors. Long live the niche hobbies! Yeah, one of those things that holds such nostalgia for me. Fond memories of getting Football Picture Story Monthly when I was a kid, then Match and Shoot. Often the Beano too. Then later PowerSlam and FHM. Fucking loved going anywhere that involved going to station for a magazine and some sweets for the bus or train. I only get World Soccer now. That comes through the post and only because I can't be arsed to cancel it. Edited June 24, 2025 by tiger_rick Quote
CTXRussomark Posted June 24, 2025 Posted June 24, 2025 3 hours ago, SuperBacon said: One thing that we haven't discussed I think is the price of coffee. Even an americano is expensive these days. Grow up coffee shops. Absolutely this. 10 years ago I would think nothing of getting a coffee (or two) every day while at work, yet now (despite earning far more than I did then) I begrudge buying one or two a month due to how much the prices have shot up. You're looking at a minimum of a fiver for any large drink in most places thesedays, which is insane. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 24, 2025 Members Posted June 24, 2025 1 hour ago, tiger_rick said: I've done the preview for 442 for quite a few years. They say every year that they'll send me one and never have. Tight bastards. I have a sub mate (cba to cancel, I do the quiz and then the issue just gets given to my 12yo) more than happy to send you it when I get it. Quote
Ro_y Disco Posted June 24, 2025 Posted June 24, 2025 For magazine lovers that don't mind digital, many libraries offer free access to the Libby app. On the months where I remember about it, I'll usually read PWI, Fortean Times and Rue Morgue on my iPad, as well as any others that catch my eye. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 26, 2025 Members Posted June 26, 2025 The price of cheese. Those cows are taking the piss. Quote
Paid Members Bellenda Carlisle Posted September 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 9, 2025 WTF Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted September 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 9, 2025 413g, that's a twin pack. Not that bad. Quote
Paid Members Callum1993 Posted September 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 9, 2025 40 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said: WTF Worth every penny. GOAT of biscuits. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted September 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 9, 2025 Heathens. Plain Hobnobs or GTFO Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.