Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I mean, that is a shitehawk move from Heyman, but the lads must have been pretty fucking dumb to listen to him rather than do what they'd been directly instructed to do by the office.

Posted

Have heard about this story for years, and still never understand the "Paul E shafted us out of jobs" narrative. To shaft someone out of jobs, there has to be a chance of these people actually getting a job in the first place, which there clearly was zero. Watch the first minute of this match, and look at the state of Doring. He looks dreadful and completley bush league. Throw in the fact we know from his ECW stint that he was really average, then he had a less than zero percent (Steiner maths) chance of being signed in 2001 WWE, basic or 'flashy' match done here aside.

Id even throw Mamaluke and Guido in the same boat, they are tiny, and even too small for the Cruiserweight division at the time there. They werent getting signed whatever they did, Im afraid.

Posted

Doring looking bush league doesn't matter if he got signed and repackaged etc if they chose too. Something I've noticed from seeing so many dark match tryouts is that the wrestlers gear usually looks like shit, but that doesn't matter.

Posted
1 hour ago, Chili said:

Doring looking bush league doesn't matter if he got signed and repackaged etc if they chose too. Something I've noticed from seeing so many dark match tryouts is that the wrestlers gear usually looks like shit, but that doesn't matter.

Not just on about the gear. Watch the match and you can see he's not even that much bigger than Guido. In 2001, when how jacked you were was still so important, then looking like a perfectly decent natural guy who is just slightly bigger than Little Guido had no shot of getting into WWE. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Guido was signed just a year or so later though wasn’t he? I don’t think attitudes towards size and how jacked you were changed much at all between 2001 and 2002. Fuck, it was probably worse in 2002, that’s when they were bringing in the likes of Brock Lesnar and Batista. Guido’s the only one of the four in that tag match who they picked up before the ECW rebrand launched in 2006. After that they brought the others in for very brief or sporadic appearances on the new ECW but Guido, despite being the smallest, was actually hired years before the other three and probably had five or six years on the roster. 

Edited by wandshogun09
  • Paid Members
Posted

Why would Heyman deliberately sabotage them? Sounds more just like Heyman being wrong than intentionally stopping them from getting hired (which was unlikely anyway).

  • Paid Members
Posted
16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I wish I could find the clip of Doring talking about this match in his shoot interview years ago. It used to be on YouTube but I can’t find it anymore. His description of it and his impressions of Heyman and Tony Garea cracked me up at the time. 

Doring's shoot interviews were always some of the best, he wasn't afraid of upsetting people.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 6/23/2025 at 11:51 PM, WyattSheepMask said:


- A 1991 Undertaker v Ultimate Warrior Casket Match which admittedly isn’t very good but is possibly one of the first ones ever?. 

Probably the first in WWE, but they'd been done elsewhere in the territory days - Ivan Koloff and Dusty Rhodes had one in Houston in 1980, and there were some in Memphis in the mid-80s. I would hazard a guess that there were some pre-1980, too.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I watched this, at some point over the last week. Two fairly bog standard matches but I swear to god, there's a "Sherri, Sherri" chant in the first one.

  • Paid Members
Posted

This has felt like an obvious one to do if it existed and it turns out it does:
 


We already had highlights of every match via the Ringmasters VHS tape. We also had commentary free versions of the Magnum TA match from the Crockett Cup 87 VHS and the the Flair and Rhodes matches from WWE DVD sets. These were multi-camera, suggesting there was a master tape which was then used to edit down and add commentary for Ringmasters. This is that multi-camera, commentary-free master of the whole show.

  • Paid Members
Posted
59 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

And no Vince or King on comms! 

Who is the other voice on comms aside from Gorilla? I'm thinking Stan Lane as I know he was knocking about doing interviews etc at this time, but hadn't heard him do commentary, so not 100%.

Posted
44 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Who is the other voice on comms aside from Gorilla? I'm thinking Stan Lane as I know he was knocking about doing interviews etc at this time, but hadn't heard him do commentary, so not 100%.

No you are correct, Sweet Stan "I'm not the Father" Lane.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...