DavidB6937 Posted August 14, 2025 Posted August 14, 2025 3 minutes ago, Onyx2 said: On that topic does anyone know Wrestling Bios from here? It seems incredible he's not some former UKFFer. But he doesn't mentioning pooing very often in the Monday Night Wars so maybe not. Ask him what his favourite chippy is. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted August 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 24, 2025 Superbrawl II up in full on the WCW Vault. Love this show. One of my first VHS tapes as a kid and just the opening seconds of this is like a big rush of nostalgia with the 90s graphics, that music and the enthusiastic voiceover bloke giving it loads. “Live from the Mecca in Milwaukee. It’s SUPERBRAWL…TWO!” The matches themselves are mostly very good as well. Sting vs Luger is so-so but they were the two faces of the promotion at the time so it felt legit. Goes without saying the Pillman vs Liger opener is class but I also really enjoyed the Steiners vs Anderson/Eaton (screwy finish aside) and I love the Windham/Rhodes vs Austin/Zbyszko match. Big Jesse V’s arrival in WCW as well. Quote
Chico Torres Posted August 24, 2025 Posted August 24, 2025 An event so good that Pillman/Liger is the 4th best match on the card in my view, behind Rude/Steamboat, Windham & Rhodes vs Austin and Larry Z and Steiners vs Anderson and Eaton. Quote
Chili Posted August 24, 2025 Posted August 24, 2025 Superbrawl II and GAB '90 were the only videos of WCW in our video shop so it's a particular favourite. Though as a kid I was extremely confused on the VHS about Missy Hyatt interviewing Terry Taylor for a match against Bagwell that just never happens as it got cut from the tape. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted August 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 24, 2025 (edited) 8 minutes ago, Chili said: Though as a kid I was extremely confused on the VHS about Missy Hyatt interviewing Terry Taylor for a match against Bagwell that just never happens as it got cut from the tape. Same thing confused me as a kid on the Halloween Havoc: ‘Chamber Of Horrors’ tape. Missy doing a backstage interview with a sweaty, clearly just had a match Bobby Eaton with a pumpkin under his arm despite him appearing nowhere else on the tape. Edited August 24, 2025 by wandshogun09 Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted August 24, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted August 24, 2025 4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said: Superbrawl II up in full on the WCW Vault. Love this show. One of my first VHS tapes as a kid and just the opening seconds of this is like a big rush of nostalgia with the 90s graphics, that music and the enthusiastic voiceover bloke giving it loads. “Live from the Mecca in Milwaukee. It’s SUPERBRAWL…TWO!” The matches themselves are mostly very good as well. Sting vs Luger is so-so but they were the two faces of the promotion at the time so it felt legit. Goes without saying the Pillman vs Liger opener is class but I also really enjoyed the Steiners vs Anderson/Eaton (screwy finish aside) and I love the Windham/Rhodes vs Austin/Zbyszko match. Big Jesse V’s arrival in WCW as well. One of my favourite PPVs, this. It helps that it has many of my favourites of all time on it. Even Bagwell vs Terry Taylor was alright. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted August 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 25, 2025 Shawn vs Bulldog from One Night Only… Fantastic match. Probably Bulldog’s last great match unless I’m overlooking something and I don’t think I am. These two always had really good chemistry and I’ve always thought this was one of their best matches but it kind of gets overshadowed by the negativity surrounding the finish and the Kliq politics behind the scenes. It’s some match though. Crowd is bananas as well. One of my big regrets as a wrestling fan is that I never went to this show. It was just down the road from me at the time as well, I lived by Birmingham airport back then so the NEC wasn’t far at all. I vividly remember watching live at home though. My dad ordered it on Box Office without me even having to ask, which never happened back then. Not sure whether he felt guilty for not getting tickets or whether the promotional stuff just worked on him. But he was well invested in the main event, Bret vs Taker and Owen vs Vader. Pissed himself at Dude Love in the opener as well because the last time he saw Foley was in his WCW days on ITV. “That’s that Cactus Jack. Still looks like he stinks”. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted August 25, 2025 Members Posted August 25, 2025 I went, as my neighbours kindly took me, and it was a blast. Feel really privileged to have gone as it is an "iconic" show. The heat from the crowd at that finish was something else, and 12 year old me was absolutely furious. Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted August 25, 2025 Posted August 25, 2025 20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: I went, as my neighbours kindly took me, and it was a blast. Feel really privileged to have gone as it is an "iconic" show. The heat from the crowd at that finish was something else, and 12 year old me was absolutely furious. I know there was heat on Shawn in certain circles for changing the finish because Davey NEVER lost in the UK and his dying sister was in the front row. However, Davey was protected in the finish and Shawn winning nearly caused a riot. Sometimes sending the crowd home angry is a good thing. I say it was the right decision. Quote
Chili Posted August 25, 2025 Posted August 25, 2025 A great match but with the circumstances behind it especially with Davey's dying sister in attendance and all the political stuff behind it, I don't really like revisiting the ending. I find it all genuinely rather sad and uncomfortable, but that's very much just me. The match itself is a brilliant bit of business. Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted August 25, 2025 Posted August 25, 2025 6 minutes ago, Chili said: A great match but with the circumstances behind it especially with Davey's dying sister in attendance and all the political stuff behind it, I don't really like revisiting the ending. I find it all genuinely rather sad and uncomfortable, but that's very much just me. The match itself is a brilliant bit of business. I think that's what makes it all the more impactful. It was incredibly uncomfortable. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted August 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 26, 2025 15 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said: I think that's what makes it all the more impactful. It was incredibly uncomfortable. Art should make one uncomfortable, don't you agree? Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted August 26, 2025 Posted August 26, 2025 Just now, gmoney said: Art should make one uncomfortable, don't you agree? Art, theatre, film, wrestling, comedy - I don't think any form of performance should shy away from making people uncomfortable. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted August 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 26, 2025 12 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said: Art, theatre, film, wrestling, comedy - I don't think any form of performance should shy away from making people uncomfortable. You could have told me that before I booked to see that new play about Vlad The Impaler. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted August 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted August 26, 2025 It's a horrible finish, especially as they were never going to pay it off even if Davey stuck around and Shawn didn't get injured. There's no way they'd have got Michael's to return the favour. Heated, memorable, yes. But ultimately the wrong move and genuinely nasty and sad when you know the background. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.