It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

They're being very cocky on social at the minute.

Triple H is saying they're going to 'light the world up', The Rock is saying people are going to 'talk about this forever'.

Things rarely go well when the WWE get smug. They're never, ever as clever as they think they are at times like this.

12 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They're being very cocky on social at the minute.

Triple H is saying they're going to 'light the world up', The Rock is saying people are going to 'talk about this forever'.

Things rarely go well when the WWE get smug. They're never, ever as clever as they think they are at times like this.

They're not going to say "oh it'll probably be shit" are they? They're bigging it up and promoting. Wouldn't say it's smug really.

I would have this entire situation resolved in 24 hours, believe me. 

I'm not sure if it's the eternal optimist in me, but for some reason I have a feeling that they're going to give us something brilliant with this, and it's been a long time since I've felt like that. The Rocks been playing the same tune for a while now, and thats fair enough. If you're working towards becoming one of the biggest stars in the world, a good rule of thumb is to refrain from calling an arena full of people cunts in between making movies. The issue here is that trying to navigate the next few months as the guy he's been for the past x number of years could potentially be more problematic. Leaning into what's almost certainly coming his way seems to be the most sensible route, and would provide the most entertainment value. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't managed to turn most of the pre emptive hostility and boos into enthusiastic support by Wrestlemania if he delivers what I hope he's going to. 

I agree that there isn't a "cool" constituency -yet. I'll never overestimate a pro wrestling audiences ability to resist some form manipulation, and the people at the helm of this thing wouldn't be doing their jobs if they weren't looking to grow the audience. I can see already that The Rocks little performance today has managed to catch the attention of people who'd be completely oblivious to the most cleverly constructed and engaging angle on Raw or Smackdown. 

Like many I've endured my share of Wrestling disappointments over the past few decades, but I think this is going to be good. If we do get a decent version of Corporate Hollywood Rock, any concerns about it being a bit untidy will fade into the background. 

1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

They're not going to say "oh it'll probably be shit" are they? They're bigging it up and promoting. Wouldn't say it's smug really.

'Talking about it forever' is a pretty big claim. That's not regular promotion, it's a unique claim that you can only use sparingly.

I actually don't know the last time I heard someone make that claim.

Given the backdrop of people wondering how they unpick their pickle, I think there's an underlying tone to everything they're saying (and in Gerwitz's case, overlying tone) which is 'you're all thick, we're going to blow your mind'.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Paul Heyman getting off the plane like a dad who had too many drinks on the flight and doesn’t know if he’s landed in Las Vegas or Lanzarote.

"Ooh, bit hot innit?"

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

'Talking about it forever' is a pretty big claim. That's not regular promotion, it's a unique claim that you can only use sparingly.

I actually don't know the last time I heard someone make that claim.

Given the backdrop of people wondering how they unpick their pickle, I think there's an underlying tone to everything they're saying (and in Gerwitz's case, overlying tone) which is 'you're all thick, we're going to blow your mind'.

I've been following the build up and for me personally I've not been getting "you're all thick" vibes. For me it's more a case of "wait and see, we're going to blow your mind". You're absolutely right in that what's happening feels a few levels above the norm, but I don't see any reason to expect disappointment at this stage (other than decades of actual experience). It's Wrestlemania 40, it's the first Mania under TKO (and without the creep), and crucially, we've got the potential for an abundance of intriguing possibilities rather than just one relatively predictable possibility. It'd be a nice thing in terms of Codys legacy and career if he had his big moment all to himself at Wrestlemania, and it's what everyone wants, but after being on these tracks for so long, is anyone's adrenaline really going to be pumping if that train arrives at the station exactly on schedule? 

There's a clear route to a perfectly satisfactory story here, and giving us something slightly different is a risk. They could easily find themselves fucking up an open goal with this, but if they get it right the payoff could be something that's actually genuinely exciting.

• Paid Members

Fucking comedy. So they have completely had to wind it back due to unpopular demand. Don’t worry about watching the press conference it was, as I feared, just wrestlers coming out to cut promos. Rock with some classic Am Dram level of acting (actually, that’s an insult to Am Dram). 

To be fair, leaning into The Rock as a total family man rather than coming to take the head of the table was a nice swerve and about as good a recovery as they could do.

The Rock told Triple H to fix it too so not sure it’s as rolled back as you may think.

If anything they have me interested in them just rattling out a 4-way with this. An Uso in every corner.

Happy Reno 911 GIF by Comedy Central

What a day.

What on earth have they done over the last week? How did they get themselves in a position where The Rock had to play heel to avoid people being disappointed that a match they'd trailed wasn't actually happening.

If I was Gerwitz, I wouldn't be rushing to take credit for this as a genius plan all along.

Still... 🥳 

Edited by d-d-d-dAz