It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

Is anybody who is batting for WWE having pulled this out of the fire now as excited looking at the Cody/Reigns poster as they would have been before this? 

I am for one. I just want the match to happen, and for Cody to win and be anointed new "face of the company" and the hero we can all believe in*. Because ;

99.98% it's just what I want to see happen.
0.019% I want the bullshit around Roman fake-breaking "Hogan's record" to go away. It wasn't a record, and he wouldn't break it making September with the Universal title.
and 0.001% because, I'm this guy ;

On 1/30/2024 at 9:36 AM, air_raid said:

Punk came back at Survivor Series. Cody won the Rumble. Now hear this - Reigns vs Cody at Mania, and Cody wins. I'll stake my reputation on it.

"raid, you haven't got a reputation."

"No, but I'm hoping to acquire one in this escapade."

* And repeat what he did with the ICT and dust off the Winged Eagle 88-98 belt.

7 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It's like someone brought subbuteo to an orgy. Naturally some people are interested because they really like subbuteo, but it doesn't really belong there and runs the risk of having its reputation sullied in the mind of everyone.

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

If I fancy a steak, go to a restaurant and order a steak but then moments before it's served to me a new waiter rubs his bum on it, only for the owner to run out and wipe it clean... I'm not going to celebrate getting a steak.

What on earth are you on about?

24 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

I can only speak in terms of my own energy and as someone who has historically been more than willing with this company to just go for the ride, I'm just knackered. I don't feel the same brilliant, linear, "Here we fucking go" surge of energy for this match that I did up to a week ago.

Aye as it stands the Cody/Roman match itself feels a bit diluted. The presence of Higher Power Rock makes me more excited for Cody’s post-Mania direction though. He’s got a brilliant new story to get on with once the first one is finished. Hopefully avoids a Daniel Bryan-type damp squib title reign once the big cathartic moment is done.

41 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think leaning into a family background angle is an excellent twist to the story. I actually think they might pull off an explanation as to why Rhodes made the original decision that he did and if they do, give them all the Golden Globes.

Problem is that Cody's on his own. Goldust needs to throw a telly at Tony Khan, fast.

Yes! Goldust getting a vicious beat down from Tango and Cash Rock and Roman whilst Cody looks on helplessly handcuffed to the ropes would be fucking great. Do it Dustin, make TK fear for his life!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Hopefully avoids a Daniel Bryan-type damp squib title reign once the big cathartic moment is done.

Don't worry, I'm 90% sure Kane's finished with wrestling.

I mean, you can never be 100% sure, but still.

33 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

Is anybody who is batting for WWE having pulled this out of the fire now as excited looking at the Cody/Reigns poster as they would have been before this? 

Because I really do get it. Davey Numbers done a good post on it, and Pinc's point on fans only wanting to be worked now is brilliant because the whole "Ahhhh, stop mentioning real life in your promos!" thing is so overwrought, but I can only speak in terms of my own energy and as someone who has historically been more than willing with this company to just go for the ride, I'm just knackered. I don't feel the same brilliant, linear, "Here we fucking go" surge of energy for this match that I did up to a week ago. 

And that's all I care about really. Not who was most clever, or who made the most opportunities, or who created the best future revenue streams. 

I'm just not excited for the main event as I was. It's not just that it was Cody's story, it was a benchmark moment for them putting over the right guy at the right time. Okay, the right guy a year later. And they were all in to just not bother. 

Am I as excited? No. They fucked up. It was annoying and exhausting and a real "fucks sake lads, why did you do that?" moment when they've mostly been doing pretty damn well as a company lately and I've really been enjoying the natural excitement they had and a decent relationship with the fans.

Am I happier now than I was a few days ago though? Yeah definitely.

For me, there's a few timelines:

a) Cody won the Rumble. Cody chose Reigns. Cody didn't give shit to Dwayne. Cody went to Mania and won. Dwayne was somewhere else being Maui.

Now, we lost that. It's gone. The ideal one died. We can't change that.

b) Cody won the Rumble. Cody chose Reigns. Cody then became some weird pussy who stepped aside for Rocky and ended up wrestling Seth instead.

We were very close to that I think, despite what bullshit they may want to spin about plans and blah blah.

However it appears we've lost that too. The worst timeline died, or at least got twisted significantly in the end to where we are now:

c) Cody won the Rumble. Cody chose Reigns. Cody may have had some weird lapse in judgement but thankfully we had a press conference where more swear words got thrown around than a KFogg post.

Does the latest timeline fix everything? Hell no, but I'd argue that at least they're willing to try, and I'm going to hang on to that little teeny tiny bit of hope and excitement that there is now.

And I hope in time with this new build up that they're doing they can manage to get others into it again too, as it's a real shame when you're looking forward to something and it goes to shit. Fingers crossed by Mania we're all (mostly) hyped for whatever's on the card.

• Paid Members

I seriously wonder if the story is going to be that Cody got pressured into announcing the Rock by "the board" last week, he tried to be a company man but "you people" showed him that he shouldn't give up on his dream.