It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Cobblers. If we're heeling Rock in the story as a manipulative cockend trying to direct Cody away from his destiny for his own selfish reasons, then Cody outsmarted him. He's Dave Batista, cool as a cucumber, fucking over his disingenuous fake buddy Triple Rock, while Seth mumbles "where does this leave me" like JBL in the corner. Sadly, Seth, not with John Cena.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Who is this Trevor Dame knob? He's always all over my feed even though I don't follow him. And now I can't avoid him on here!

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Who is this Trevor Dame knob? He's always all over my feed even though I don't follow him. And now I can't avoid him on here!

He’s one of the only wrestling journalists going into great detail about Janel Grant’s lawsuit so he gets a pass from me

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

No, I thought that was great. It was compelling viewing, to the point it has me totally sold on the idea of a triple threat. I suspect we’ll get a tag match instead, but I’m a little unsure as to where that would leave Seth and his challenger.

I imagine we'll get a Rock/Roman vs Cody/Seth tag match on night 1, with the EC winner challenging Seth for the belt on night 2 as the opener.

I think this Mania ends with Rock having enough of Roman, Jimmy & Solo, and helping Cody win the title by ridding ringside of the latter two on night 2.

Roman/Rock at Wrestlemania 41.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

He’s one of the only wrestling journalists going into great detail about Janel Grant’s lawsuit so he gets a pass from me

He's a journalist? All I've ever seen is him making snarky, reactionary Xeets like this but fair play to him if he did that, I guess.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

As for the pivot, they can easily write their way out of it. Maybe Cody felt pressured by his new boss; perhaps Cody had a lapse in confidence, and the fans snapped him back to his senses; perhaps he thought he had no right to deny the fans the Rock/Reigns dream match before fans made him realise that HE was the dream match.

I think people are overthinking it a bit in terms of changing his mind. I was half joking earlier about Drew but they’ve had him go out while Cody was about to confirm to Seth and try to convince him to go another way. I’m not saying you say Drew convinced him on TV but in story terms, it’s been explained. Fans moan when they treat us as simpletons by literally explaining every detail rather than let us just work it out - I seen someone on here moaning because Bayley told us she was speaking Japanese rather than us just realising as an example. They’ve had a guy on TV try to convince him otherwise, the story is explained.

28 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They could have leant into it more, but the subtext was definitely 'the fuck mate? Thought you hated him and now you're bonding it in blood? Fuck that.'

The last time The Rock was around in segments with Roman Reigns he was saving him from a beatdown. There’s never been any hint of hating him on TV as far as I’m aware though happy to be corrected.

I know WWE do it themselves but fans lean far too much into what they know about the business side at times while just ignoring what the actual story is being told on TV.

This was clearly the never the plan but they’ve accidentally stumbled into something that I think may be infinitely more interesting TV wise than plain old Cody picks Roman from the start with no involvement from The Rock at all.

• Paid Members

@FUM

he literally called for The Head of the table in his return promo last month. Which is why the re-pivot makes no sense.

@Devon Malcolm it’s a good, obviously grim read https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1754428238917435576.html

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

The press conference was brilliant. They’re using a real life fuck-up to turn Rock into an all-timer heel authority figure. It’s Montreal birthing Mr McMahon all over again. And we got the Cody/Roman main event we wanted.

There’s something weird going on with fans who can’t bring themselves to enjoy it. It used to be that those types never wanted to admit they’d been worked. Now it’s flipped and they only want to be worked? And any trace of real life issues in the stories makes them mad? It’s wrestling lads. The crowd being a character they can’t script is the thing that makes it good. Otherwise we might as well be watching Marvel.

Also funny the people who thought Seth’s reaction to Punk’s comeback was a shoot are now saying ‘zomg Triple H doesn’t know what happened’…

49 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Should have jumped off the stage and slapped that fucking neek shouting what. American wrestling fans are the worst.

Fair dues to the fella constantly shouting “Get ‘em Seth.” Not sure what he was expecting like.

Extremely disappointed nobody opened their promo with “Riddle me this, riddle me that, who wants to wrestle the guy dressed like a twat?”

• Paid Members

I think leaning into a family background angle is an excellent twist to the story. I actually think they might pull off an explanation as to why Rhodes made the original decision that he did and if they do, give them all the Golden Globes.

Problem is that Cody's on his own. Goldust needs to throw a telly at Tony Khan, fast.

• Paid Members

I thought the presser was good fun and whilst Cody does look a bit silly and none of this really needed to happen, it'll be soon forgotten by the masses and a heel Rock in the mix certainly adds another layer and bit of interest to it all. 

As always, the reaction in these threads is often the best part about the wrestling these days. Certainly kept me entertained this morning. 

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

he literally called for The Head of the table in his return promo last month. Which is why the re-pivot makes no sense.

Our definitions of literally are different. He made a hint to facing Roman Reigns. They had a stare-down. He hardly said he hates the guy and is coming to take his head off. They’ve hinted to The Rock coming for his spot in the family for sure but at no point have they actually said it or hinted he hates him. Family is family.

I’m not saying this all makes perfect sense - it was a pivot so it absolutely was never going to - but there are some people reaching into what they believe was meant to be happening rather than what’s actually been shown on TV.

Edited by FUM

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Which is why the re-pivot makes no sense.

But aren't most of us fully aware that this is the case? That they made some stupid decisions along the way? I mean I haven't seen many people try to suggest this was the plan all along.

Do I really want them to get stuck in some bullshit convoluted re-write where they try to explain their way out of a hole? I'm not sure. Maybe they are just better off taking it in a different direction as a clear change. I mean I don't think they can literally come out and say "we did bad booking here's another story" or something. That would probably be a bit too on the nose. But it's clear they are trying at least, and isn't that what we all wanted?

Beyond time travel I'm not sure what else they can do really. I guess it depends what each person wants from this. There's no right/wrong opinion on it and I do get why some people may want a little more of an explanation to the pivot, and maybe we'll get that? I don't know. But I'm personally okay with them just going "fuck it, we're doing this" and getting on with something better.

Is anybody who is batting for WWE having pulled this out of the fire now as excited looking at the Cody/Reigns poster as they would have been before this? 

Because I really do get it. Davey Numbers done a good post on it, and Pinc's point on fans only wanting to be worked now is brilliant because the whole "Ahhhh, stop mentioning real life in your promos!" thing is so overwrought, but I can only speak in terms of my own energy and as someone who has historically been more than willing with this company to just go for the ride, I'm just knackered. I don't feel the same brilliant, linear, "Here we fucking go" surge of energy for this match that I did up to a week ago. 

And that's all I care about really. Not who was most clever, or who made the most opportunities, or who created the best future revenue streams. 

I'm just not excited for the main event as I was. It's not just that it was Cody's story, it was a benchmark moment for them putting over the right guy at the right time. Okay, the right guy a year later. And they were all in to just not bother.