Thought it might be better to start a new thread for this. My film viewing start to 2024 has been a bit haphazard, so I thought I would focus on watching some sports films. No set amount, no time, just more sports films. Or until I get bored.

Of course "sports" isn't really a genre so this might be a bit messy, but feel free to suggest things (No PunkStep, I won't be watching fucking Fever Pitch. Stop bloody telling me to)

*first time.

Bull Durham*

First time watch for me, and my word what a film. I wasn't quite prepared for how BONK! it all is, but there's shagging all over the gaff. Robbins is nailing someone in the changing room within minutes of the start, and it only gets hornier from then on.

Susan Sarandon is phenomenonal, might be the best performance I've seen from her, and big Kev nails his role as a "washed up" catcher. His speech here is superb, and funny that he mentions Oswald, given he would go on to debunk what he says here. I always like things like that.

10/10.

Cool Runnings

God, what a film. I truly think this is one of my favourite films, and makes me blub like a baby at the end every time.

It's so much more than "funny film we all liked as kids" and has such a wonderful heart, and that heart is sportsmanship and John Candy.

When Irv says: "Derice, a gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without one, you'll never be enough with one" My word. The thing that made him so good is not only his ability to make you laugh, but also his ability to make you feel. Wonderful talent, sadly missed.

Wicked soundtrack as well. 9/10.

Rookie Of The Year*

Forum friend (is that right?) Thomas Ian Nicholas is a shit Little Leaguer who breaks his arm and the doctor repairs it with the tendons too tight (was slightly distracted at the start so that might not be 100% right) which results in him having a super fastball, so naturally he joins the Cubs for the year.

This was bloody great, and Candy's in it, along with Gary Busey, Duncan from Duncans Toy Chest, Janitor from Scrubs, and Daniel Stern, who also directed.

Stern is actually really bloody irritating (at one point he gets stuck between 2 internal room doors in a hotel where he should've died quite frankly) but that's a minor criticism of what is a really good family film.

spacer.png

He has this stupid bloody 'one side of his mouth open' face the whole film ffs. 7/10.

Ali

I did see this when it first came out and I can't remember a single thing about it.

It's a good film, it's well made, Will Smith is great (and I always think its brave when an actor takes on someone so iconic), has a good supporting cast but ultimately its quite boring. Had zero idea that was Voight as Howard Kosell which is bloody impressive. 6/10.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Cool Runnings

God, what a film. I truly think this is one of my favourite films, and makes me blub like a baby at the end every time.

It's so much more than "funny film we all liked as kids" and has such a wonderful heart, and that heart is sportsmanship and John Candy.

When Irv says: "Derice, a gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without one, you'll never be enough with one" My word. The thing that made him so good is not only his ability to make you laugh, but also his ability to make you feel. Wonderful talent, sadly missed.

Wicked soundtrack as well. 9/10.

Bullshit rating. Cool Runnings is a 10/10, and I will not hear otherwise. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Forum friend (is that right?) Thomas Ian Nicholas

I saw him in concert last year (he was a support act, or the year before. Did a version of Stacy’s Mom and changed it to Stifflers Mom. 

• Paid Members

Slap Shot, The Color of Money and Whip It are the only great sports films. Eight Men Out was pretty good. Breaking Away, too. The rest are shit.

I can't wait to not read this thread when everyone starts talking about Rocky.

Oh, Goon is really good, too!

Based on the original post these popped in my head:

As Costner was right there: Draft Day, For Love of the Game, and Tin Cup.

Eddie The Eagle catches the spirit of Cool Runnings and pretty sure was the same Olympics.

Angels in the Outfield surprising number of famous faces pop up.

Ice Hockey: Slap Shot, Youngblood, Mystery Alaska

American Football: Friday Night Lights, Remember the Titans, Rudy

Basketball: Hoosiers, He Got Game, Blue Chips

Baseball: A League of Their Own, 61*, Moneyball

Football: Escape To Victory, A Shot at Glory, When Saturday Comes

Kids: Little Giants, The Sandlot, Wildcats, Bad News Bears

• Paid Members

The Sandlot was probably my favourite as a kid. A teacher put it on for us during our breaks one day when it had been pissing down and I became obsessed. Borrowed it off him before getting my own copy and watching it to death. Haven’t watched it for years now. I did see a sequel which was predictably shit.