37 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The First Slam Dunk is a 2+ hour anime about basketball I saw at the cinema a couple of months ago and it's one of the better classic sports films I've seen, I reccomend it unless you're a cartoonphobe or hate basketball.

I really liked Stephen Dorff's MMA film Embattled from a couple of years ago.

The former sounds good.

The latter...mate, I'd have to be REALLY sold on watching an MMA film, and I'll watch anything!

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The former sounds good.

The latter...mate, I'd have to be REALLY sold on watching an MMA film, and I'll watch anything!

The forner has a good hour of basketball game action in it which is a lot but the basketball is really well "filmed" and exciting. 

I'm not going to try to sell you on the latter but I thought it was surprisingly good and dramatic, if one is going to watch it it's probably better going in not knowing too much about it. Dorff plays an arsehole fighter very much influenced by Connor Macgregor which is probably more off putting but I remember it being really gripping.

I used to like Million Dollar Baby but the Scary movie parody of it spoofed it so mercilessly it killed it for me.

Does Blades of Glory count? That was hilarious.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

I know I found BASEketball really really funny at the time but I haven't seen it in over 20 years so can neither say if it's actually funny or good or indeed a Sports Film. However I did just look up the run time and it's under two hours so at least it has that as a plus point.

• Paid Members

White Men Can't Jump is a classic. I can watch that any day. 

The original Longest Yard is a bit ropey but I have a soft spot for both Vinnie's Mean Machine and Sandler's Longest Yard. Both I can put on in the middle of the night and have good old time.

Escape To Victory is a favourite. I have fond memories of watching It with my Dad. It really took my imagination as a kid with the arm breaking scene and the match is brilliantly shot.

I've not seen it since I was a kid but I remember loving Silver Dream Racer. I might try and track it down and give it a rewatch.

Bend It Like Beckham is wonderful. Made even more so by the fact my Daughter also loves it. See also Karate Kid.

Controversial I know but I never cared for Raging Bull. it's stunningly made but utterly miserable.

I've recently got into a run of racing movies. Loved Rush, Ford V Ferrari and Grand Tourismo was much better than I expected.

11 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You should watch Tin Cup if you haven't seen it. It's legit!

Great film that actually succeeds in making golf look interesting.  As well as the always-fun story of an ageing sports person finding inspiration for one more run, you have the lovely Rene Russo and a fantastic bad-guy-who's-not-that-bad from Don Johnson.  In fact his character is the real hero of the film, as he helps his buddy find reason to resurrect his life.  Oh, and the genesis of Nash Bridges.

Costner's a really good film star, isn't he - and still making and starring in excellent films now.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I have a soft spot The Mighty Ducks trilogy. Started going to Slough Ice Rink as I thought maybe I could give ice hockey a try eventually and become an enforcer like the bash brothers. I was terrible, even after being able to skate in the middle without holding on to the sides. 

Green Street 3 has an MMA fighting league. Can you be sold on that @SuperBacon? It stars Jim Carver from The Bill as a bloke called Pistol Pete. 

13 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Green Street 3 has an MMA fighting league. Can you be sold on that @SuperBacon? It stars Jim Carver from The Bill as a bloke called Pistol Pete. 

If I can find it, I'll watch it, but I haven't forgiven the first one for its outrageous Spurs slander. Slags.

9 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

The First Slam Dunk is a 2+ hour anime

Anime does sports films and shows surprisingly well, not a film but Hajime no Ippo is up there for the best about boxing with a deep love for the sport. Then there's Ping Pong which is weirdly avant-garde and one of the most beautiful looking shows ever.

spacer.png

Back to films, Dogtown and Z Boys is class and got me back into skating.

17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Back to films, Dogtown and Z Boys is class and got me back into skating.

Yeah that is absolutely fantastic, although I've never seen Lords Of Dogtown, so will wack that on the list.

Documentaries could have a thread of its own couldn't it? Hoop Dreams probably being my favourite. 

6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You being you

How absolutely dare you try and reduce me to some sort of archetype. You don't even bloody know me! Disgusting...

6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I assume you've already seen Above The Rim.

Well yes obviously :) but not for a while.

I remember it being on the crap side of the scale, but it has a wicked soundtrack which I've actually got on CD somewhere. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You being you, I assume you've already seen Above The Rim. Is it as crap as I assume it is?

(Despite having never seen the film as a term it is in my lexicon as a measure of a big messy shit)

It's a 3 star film that might be worse if you've no nostalgic connection (I've not seen it since it came out on video).

I'll echo the love for White Men Can't Jump & Tin Cup. Ron Shelton had a great run of sports films in the 90s. Another one of his that was overlooked is Blue Chips. Probably because college sports isn't a thing over here but it features a top leading performance by Nick Nolte and Shaq is surprisingly decent in it too. Moneyball scoops the prize for me though. I've seen it a bunch and Philip Seymour Hoffman & Jonah Hill are both wonderful. A hard sell to recommend though.... 'It's a baseball film but you don't have to actually like baseball as it's mostly about statistics based recruiting'

5 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Another one of his that was overlooked is Blue Chips. Probably because college sports isn't a thing over here but it features a top leading performance by Nick Nolte and Shaq is surprisingly decent in it too.

I remember this being an absolute cracker. Along with Hoosiers, which I'd watch as a double bill.