News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

I remember my mate come back from Afghanistan and he had a highlight reel of his combat cut to some generic rock music. Fuck knows what that was all about, not sure what he was expecting from me here either. “Nice murdering mate.” Still better than people’s holiday pics though.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I remember my mate come back from Afghanistan and he had a highlight reel of his combat cut to some generic rock music. Fuck knows what that was all about, not sure what he was expecting from me here either. “Nice murdering mate.” Still better than people’s holiday pics though.

Just imagining it like a mid 2000s WWE video package with Saliva or Breaking Benjamin playing over it. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Fully expecting a post now about how impressive the rockets targeting Palestinians are.

You don't see a difference between technology designed to kill people (as in your example) and one designed to stop people being killed?  I believe the Ukrainians have been trying to get Israel to sell them the Iron Dome systems to protect their major cities from Russian missile attacks.  

The paraphernalia of war is pretty horrible, but this purely defensive tech is a pretty impressive and worthwhile thing.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Loki said:

You don't see a difference between technology designed to kill people (as in your example) and one designed to stop people being killed?

Yes. And in the last 24 hours, I'm baffled that this is the one you're choosing to talk about.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

You don't see a difference between technology designed to kill people (as in your example) and one designed to stop people being killed?  I believe the Ukrainians have been trying to get Israel to sell them the Iron Dome systems to protect their major cities from Russian missile attacks.  

The paraphernalia of war is pretty horrible, but this purely defensive tech is a pretty impressive and worthwhile thing.

It has saved an incredible amount of innocent lives so that’s a good thing. Like you, I wish the Palestinians had an iron dome as well. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Yes. And in the last 24 hours, I'm baffled that this is the one you're choosing to talk about.

I posted that before anything about the latest attacks on Rafah were reported, certainly before I read about them.  I think expecting me to precognitively know what the IDF are going to do is crediting me with too much.

Just now, Loki said:

I posted that before anything about the latest attacks on Rafah were reported, certainly before I read about them.  I think expecting me to precognitively know what the IDF are going to do is crediting me with too much.

BUT DO YOU CONDEMN IOF??

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

I think expecting me to precognitively know what the IDF are going to do is crediting me with too much.

What about knowing about what the IDF have already done?

11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What about knowing about what the IDF have already done?

Given he has Lebanese family, and his post was regarding Lebanon, I’m pretty sure he has a handle on what the IOF have done and continue to do. Probably more than anyone else on this board. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Given he has Lebanese family, and his post was regarding Lebanon, I’m pretty sure he has a handle on what the IOF have done and continue to do. Probably more than anyone else on this board. 

oh come on GIF

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

They announced the attacks on Rafah on Friday night.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

That's a really weak argument. I think you know it makes no sense at all so I don't really need to spell out why. 

4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That's a really weak argument. I think you know it makes no sense at all so I don't really need to spell out why. 

Ok. Given his recent posts on the matter, he knows what they’re doing. Given how over all the years I’ve known him, he has always spoke up against Israeli atrocities and used his family’s experiences and first hand suffering to show a more factual, nuanced, personable insight as opposed to just sloganeering, coupled with a historical knowledge behind the decades long conflict giving context to what happened, he knows what they’ve been doing in the past. 

Are you suggesting he doesn’t know what they’ve been doing?