News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

Worrying start to the morning with the Middle East set to kick off with the massive destabilising attack on Israel this morning. 

Probably the best time to have done it though with Israelis at the end of their festival and most of the world keeping an eye on Ukraine.

It's a sad world we're living in today.

4 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I totally appreciate interest in a thread covering current affairs, but I’d maybe suggest we’re better off having individual threads rather than a megathread - ‘news and current affairs’ is incredibly broad.

True, thought the same, but also thought we may end up with loads of threads that were maybe 3-4 posts long as what one person may think is newsworthy the majority may not.

I mean the politics stuff can easily go in the 'cunts' threads and the sexual harassment stuff goes in the other. Narrows it down a fair bit already I feel. Maybe see how it goes? 

How about this being an International News Thread?

As ever with this long running conflict, Hamas strengthen their control with Palestinians by showing strength against Israel, and Netanyahu strengthens his control over Israel by looking strong against the Palestinians.

Both Hamas and Netanyahu benefit from these periodic escalations which is why neither side does anything to defuse the situation.  The people who pay of course are the Israelis and Palestinians on both sides of the border who lose their lives, but neither political elite care about them.

There are no good guys in this, just bad guys.

I’ve long since come to the depressing conclusion that this will only end when Israel completely annexes all Palestinian lands and wipes out Hamas as a political and military entity.  Perhaps we will see that this time round.  The Palestinians are never going to “win” a conflict against a modern well funded military like the IDF, and they’re never getting their own state or their land under international law back.

Certainly the two state solution is dead, and if we’re honest it died with Rabin in 1995.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Loki said:

How about this being an International News Thread?

As ever with this long running conflict, Hamas strengthen their control with Palestinians by showing strength against Israel, and Netanyahu strengthens his control over Israel by looking strong against the Palestinians.

Both Hamas and Netanyahu benefit from these periodic escalations which is why neither side does anything to defuse the situation.  The people who pay of course are the Israelis and Palestinians on both sides of the border who lose their lives, but neither political elite care about them.

There are no good guys in this, just bad guys.

I’ve long since come to the depressing conclusion that this will only end when Israel completely annexes all Palestinian lands and wipes out Hamas as a political and military entity.  Perhaps we will see that this time round.  The Palestinians are never going to “win” a conflict against a modern well funded military like the IDF, and they’re never getting their own state or their land under international law back.

Certainly the two state solution is dead, and if we’re honest it died with Rabin in 1995.

This is the only sensible thing I've read on the subject all day.

Quite ironic that 51yrs ago today 'Imagine' was released.....yet the same old shit is still going on.

Can't see any suitable outcome to the Middle East that will be acceptable to all sides.

LaGoosh - problem is at the other end of Israel the Lebanese are sabre rattling and its not beyond the realms of possibility that Iran will get involved too. There's no obvious outcome 

Edited by Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete
Added a response to LaGoosh