News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Maybe you could explain your comment then @SuperBacon because otherwise I'm not sure I understand your point.

Well, Israel was completely and utterly surprised by the Hamas attacks suggesting that they didn't know where they were, their future plans etc (something I very much believe to be true)

But then in the immediate aftermath of the attacks they ordered full evacuations of places that they definitely, 100%, absolutely knew Hamas was hiding in (something I very much believe to not be true) and that was their "justification" for flattening whole areas, right?

Maybe their security forces had an upgrade within a day or so, who knows?

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Well, Israel was completely and utterly surprised by the Hamas attacks suggesting that they didn't know where they were, their future plans etc (something I very much believe to be true)

But then in the immediate aftermath of the attacks they ordered full evacuations of places that they definitely, 100%, absolutely knew Hamas was hiding in (something I very much believe to not be true) and that was their "justification" for flattening whole areas, right?

Maybe their security forces had an upgrade within a day or so, who knows?

So you are suggesting that Israel are just indiscriminately bombing Gaza, if I am interpreting your sarcasm correctly this time.

Fair enough - that's a viewpoint.  But it's also equally likely that in many cases they are acting on intelligence built-up over years, analysing satellite data, informants on the ground, drone footage etc.  And also identifying where the rockets are coming from which is something they probably do visually.  I imagine they have special forces on the ground now pinpointing launch sites with lasers.  And absolutely not caring that much whether the building also has civilians in, at this juncture.

I was reading the other day about the "knocking" that the IDF usually do when they bomb a building in Gaza.  They drop an initial missile onto the site which has no payload, this creates a big noise but doesn't do much damage.  It's a signal for everyone in the building to evacuate, and they follow 15 minutes later with the actual payload.

I strongly suspect they've stopped doing that in the last week, so casualties will be up.

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

I was reading the other day about the "knocking" that the IDF usually do when they bomb a building in Gaza.  They drop an initial missile onto the site which has no payload, this creates a big noise but doesn't do much damage.  It's a signal for everyone in the building to evacuate, and they follow 15 minutes later with the actual payload.

Kinder, gentler ethnic cleansing and mass murder. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yes I am suggesting that.

So am I. Because they can. Who's going to stop them or tell to stop? Nobody. Because the biggest powers in the world are backing and supporting them. People wringing their hands in abject horror at what Hamas have done and showing nowhere near the same level of revulsion at what Israel have been doing to Palestinians for decades - which is FAR FAR WORSE on every conceivable level!

Fuck Israel, fuck 'Bibi', fuck the IDF and anyone who supports them.

On the plus side, human rights lawyer Kier Starmer has started to refer to Israel as “Itself” and not “Herself” when talking about their war crimes and human rights abuses. Granted he hasn’t condemned them but one step at a time. 

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

On the plus side, human rights lawyer Kier Starmer has started to refer to Israel as “Itself” and not “Herself” when talking about their war crimes and human rights abuses. Granted he hasn’t condemned them but one step at a time. 

Bloody woke genocide apologists!!!

• Paid Members

It's also important to remember that there are quite a few Israelis opposed to what the current government is doing right now. Anecdotal, but an Israeli friend who is now a naturalised UK citizen in London was previously a lawyer in Israel, defending Palestinian prisoners in Israeli military courts. She still has family in Israel and has been out of her mind with worry for them, but she has also pointed out that what has happened is essentially what happens when you push people beyond their limits (re: the Palestinians).

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

It's also important to remember that there are quite a few Israelis opposed to what the current government is doing right now. Anecdotal, but an Israeli friend who is now a naturalised UK citizen in London was previously a lawyer in Israel, defending Palestinian prisoners in Israeli military courts. She still has family in Israel and has been out of her mind with worry for them, but she has also pointed out that what has happened is essentially what happens when you push people beyond their limits (re: the Palestinians).

Remember a few months back how there were mass protests in Israel against how far to the right Bibi had taken things with his Judicial Reforms? Even sensibles in this country were voicing their disgust. Now they’ve gone back to murdering innocent brown people though they stand with Israel again. The protests still continue, calling for his resignation but they aren’t getting any coverage. 

• Paid Members

Looking at the history of this conflict, there's a part of me that suspects that this was Hamas' strategy all along: the attacks they made couldn't possibly have won them the long-term conflict with a military like Israel's. 

It strikes me that perhaps they've figured that the only way they're ever going to get the West to intervene on their behalf, instead of automatically supporting Israel as usual, is by provoking a response so savage and brutal that even the US will think twice. Apparently Biden is finally making some noises in favour of restraint, so maybe the gamble, if that's what it is, is starting to pay off.

If this is true, however, it means a lot more people are going to die horribly before anything might be done.