News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I assume this is some northern thing.

It's a working thing.

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s used to transport the shirts of all the football teams he supports. One for the long term viewers there!

😆

1 hour ago, BigJag said:

Crazy! What makes them think that this is a sensible thing to do?

It’s a safety thing. Imagine they allowed the flags and then rival fans turned up with the Israeli flag. If they were a Palestinian club it would be ok, but they aren’t. I mean, we know it’s bollocks because if it was Ukrainian flags, or even Israeli flags, I don’t think it would be an issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

America is so deeply entrenched into supporting Israel. Is it as simple as Israel being their spear tip in the middle east? Any backwards step,despite it's humanitarian benefits, would be an unacceptable sign of weakness to them. So it seems.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, BigJag said:

America is so deeply entrenched into supporting Israel. Is it as simple as Israel being their spear tip in the middle east? Any backwards step,despite it's humanitarian benefits, would be an unacceptable sign of weakness to them. So it seems.

Worth remembering that its an election year in the US next year, so the campaign trail starts pretty soon in earnest. The government aren't going to sanction anything even vaguely contentious that might lose votes. Its spineless, but there's definitely one eye on that campaign involved in any foreign policy decisions at the moment. 

Lovely. Morgan is about to release a statement. Essentially, the judge has said Morgan knew all about the hacking of Prince Harry’s phone despite Morgan claiming otherwise. Harry has won his case against Mirror Group and I hope he asks Morgan to make the cheque out to Meghan. 

Pretty devastating news coming out of Prague yesterday, which has shaken the Czech Republic. 

My brother-in-law goes to Charles University (though thankfully not at that campus), while I have friends who used to study in that very building not too long ago and other friends and former co-workers who live and work in the city. It all felt way too close to home, even though we're nestled about an hour's drive away from Prague.

Hoping that this is a true one-off and nothing like it ever happens again. Police are also investigating whether the shooter was responsible the deaths of a father and his baby in a forest just outside of Prague a few days ago. Just a horrible situation all around and a real gut-punch so close to the holidays. 

• Paid Members

Has the US really just held the UN to ransom?

They threatened to use their veto power to derail the UNs call for a ceasefire in Gaza. Resulting in the ceasefire being watered down and protections for civilians being removed. "The leaders of the free world" then abstained from the vote.

Are they intent on out heeling everyone?

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, BigJag said:

Has the US really just held the UN to ransom?

They threatened to use their veto power to derail the UNs call for a ceasefire in Gaza. Resulting in the ceasefire being watered down and protections for civilians being removed. "The leaders of the free world" then abstained from the vote.

Are they intent on out heeling everyone?

The US has always done this; it's nothing new under the sun. This, amongst many other things, is why people like me do not and never have subscribed to the idea that the US is any kind of force for good (outside WWII). They're not the champions of democracy, they're not the leaders of the free world - they're a self-interested country like most others, the only difference being that they're the biggest and dominate the rest of the world through both soft and hard power. The sooner people reject their PR, the better.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Netanyahu has come under attack in the Israeli parliament today. Over his mismanagement of the military action in Gaza. Israel's slaughtering of Palestinians is not being received well by the Israeli people and now politicians are beginning to bring that heat into parliament. Directing it at Netanyahu. 

It seems that the Israeli president is pushing for a ceasefire.

Netanyahu doesn't give a shit and has doubled down despite significant losses on the Israeli side. He means to finish the job. He's a Maniac.

Why are Israel also bombing Syria? Why was this Iranian Military Commander in Syria?

Alexi Sayle. Not mincing his words.

Possibly interesting thread on why Israel hasn't been charged as a Genocidal maniacal state. Yet!

Edited by BigJag