News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

5 hours ago, BigJag said:

Rashida Talib, a member of Congress in the US,has been censured. Her crime seems to have been supporting calls for a ceasefire. I'm guessing Congress didn't like being told off.

Now, I like Talib, I think she has a right to speak out on Palestinian rights, and I don't think she deserves to be censured in Congress.  But she's been censured on the grounds that she “continued to knowingly spread the false narrative that Israel intentionally bombed” the hospital (wording from the censure motion) and also that she was using the phrase discussed on the previous page and defending it as "an aspirational call for freedom, human rights, and peaceful coexistence, not death, destruction, or hate."

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/07/politics/rashida-tlaib-censure-vote/index.html

You might argue that's just an excuse to attack a Democrat in Congress, you'd probably be right.  But that's what she's officially been censured for I believe.

Edited by Loki

16 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Thanks @Loki

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67353019

Labour front bench MP resigns. A Humanitarian pause seems to be the least that they should be calling for.

There’s talk that Starmer was going to sack any front benchers who called for a ceasefire and signed the letter today, so he did it last night and resigned!  Now, please ask Jess Phillips if she still calls for a ceasefire!

1 minute ago, BigJag said:

Starmer talks the talk when he's dressing down the opposition. Otherwise he's a complete wet lettuce.

Disagree. He’s very authoritarian within the Labour Party, just look how many people have been expelled under his watch. 

• 2 weeks later...

So it's looking increasingly likely that the Israeli insistence that Hamas had a major headquarters under the Al-Shifa Hospital has turned out to be bullshit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67453105

If so, they've committed a major war crime in a way that they can't plausibly deny as it's been so documented as it happened.  THIS could lead to enough international political pressure to force a ceasefire, and also could potentially lead to Netanyahu making a visit to the Hague in a few years time.

I assumed that they absolutely KNEW it was there.  If they didn't and were just hoping then this is another massive intelligence fuckup.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Loki said:

So it's looking increasingly likely that the Israeli insistence that Hamas had a major headquarters under the Al-Shifa Hospital has turned out to be bullshit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67453105

If so, they've committed a major war crime in a way that they can't plausibly deny as it's been so documented as it happened.  THIS could lead to enough international political pressure to force a ceasefire, and also could potentially lead to Netanyahu making a visit to the Hague in a few years time.

I assumed that they absolutely KNEW it was there.  If they didn't and were just hoping then this is another massive intelligence fuckup.

It's not going to lead to Netanyahu going anywhere because of who Israel are politically and militarily aligned to. Blair and Bush didn't end up there, and neither will he. It would be nice to be wrong, and I know South Africa are on the Hague's case about Israel, but there's no way it's happening without Israel being turned on by their major allies.

Also, why would anybody be surprised that the Al-Shifa 'incident' turned out to be based on nothing more than wonton anti-Palestinian violence? Israel and the IDF want Palestine wiped off the map. There's a genocide going on.

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

So it's looking increasingly likely that the Israeli insistence that Hamas had a major headquarters under the Al-Shifa Hospital has turned out to be bullshit

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF
It’s good that people are slowly coming round to the IDFs absolutely shite propaganda and their provable lies. The community notes on theirs and their propagandaists on twitter is something that I begrudgingly thank Musk for (then remember his antisemitism / great replacement shite)

I particularly liked how there were journalists in the hospital (thankfully unharmed, unlike the large number of journalists killed by Israeli forces) who were arrested and led outside for a few hours before being allowed back in to report on what they found. I’m sure those hours were spent making the hospital safe and not used to plant evidence for the world to see.