News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

They've already started overnight. 

UK and US strikes have hit drone and missile sites in Yemen held and operated by Houthi rebels. 

Makes me laugh that Russia of all places are calling for restraint and demanding a UN meeting! Sad to say I can see the UN becoming redundant fairly soon and 'good guy' nations just doing the right thing and bypassing the UN. If the 'bad guys' don't get listened to they'll do it first. 

3 hours ago, BigJag said:

It looks like the UK are going to begin military action against the Houthis. They may already have begun bombing the area. The Houthis are essentially a proxy of Yemen, and I believe supported by Iran. Why hasn't history taught these politicians anything. Is this really the best response they could come up with?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/12/yemen-houthi-rebels-who-are-they-what-attacking-us-uk-airstrikes-red-sea-crisis

What's your alternative solution @BigJag?  This is precisely the sort of thing we have a navy for.  The Houthi rebels don't have any reason to attack shipping through the Red Sea.  They've got their hands full with being shat on by Saudi, you would imagine.  This is, as you say, a proxy move by Iran and as such I think a strong response is valid.

19 hours ago, BigJag said:

The South African case was presented today. Looks to have been received quite well. Tomorrow, Israel will present it's defence. 

And Israel’s defence is being shown on both BBC and Sky today. I guess they forgot to set the cameras up yesterday. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, BigJag said:

It looks like the UK are going to begin military action against the Houthis. They may already have begun bombing the area. The Houthis are essentially a proxy of Yemen, and I believe supported by Iran. Why hasn't history taught these politicians anything. Is this really the best response they could come up with?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/12/yemen-houthi-rebels-who-are-they-what-attacking-us-uk-airstrikes-red-sea-crisis

The Houthis have attacked British ships so these strikes are entirely justified and the correct response. Additionally the Houthis are not a legitimate government and have plunged Yemen into years of truly horrifying famine and death. Fuck them.

But if anyone thinks the UK or US will commit full military action/invasion against Yemen they are very much mistaken. This is a wrist slap action. The West are basically saying "fuck off, get back in your box" which as world leaders is what they should be doing.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

What's your alternative solution @BigJag?  This is precisely the sort of thing we have a navy for.  The Houthi rebels don't have any reason to attack shipping through the Red Sea.  They've got their hands full with being shat on by Saudi, you would imagine.  This is, as you say, a proxy move by Iran and as such I think a strong response is valid.

The Houthis are in their own way opposing the Israeli action in Palestine. Israel who are being supported by the majority of the West. If all the UK and US are doing is protecting the trade routes. Then more power to them. Can we honestly say that that is what they are doing?

There needs to be much more examination of what Israel and it's allies are up to. At the same time the actions of the countries of the region are not covering themselves in glory. 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

That's a good question. Unfortunately only time will tell. They've already been using the term self defence in relation to the actions of yesterday. The last time that was used. We witnessed Israeli action that has resulted in very strong accusations of Genocide.

Maybe this action will help the people of Yemen.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BigJag said:

That's a good question. Unfortunately only time will tell. They've already been using the term self defence in relation to the actions of yesterday. The last time that was used. We witnessed Israeli action that has resulted in very strong accusations of Genocide.

The two things are not the same. At all.

56 minutes ago, BigJag said:

No link between them?

The Israels actions in Gaza are definitely framed as a self-defence move, and to be fair they are reacting to an absolutely appalling, evil terror attack on their citizenry.  But it's the disproportionate scale of the Gaza invasion that moves the conversation towards genocide.

If the US decides to nuke Sanaa then that would be disproportionate, but targeting missile sites (as the UK/US fleet have been doing) is a million miles from that.

Admittedly I'm probably more of a hawk on military intervention than you are @BigJag but there are times when force is justified or even necessary.  

What's more worrying to me is that the Iranians have hijacked another tanker.  I think they are trying to tempt Israel and the US into striking Iran itself, which they've done in the past.

11 minutes ago, Loki said:

to be fair they are reacting to an absolutely appalling, evil terror attack on their citizenry

Israeli violence is always framed this way, but Palestinian/Gazan reactions to an absolutely appalling, evil terror attack on their citizenry never is. 

19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Israeli violence is always framed this way, but Palestinian/Gazan reactions to an absolutely appalling, evil terror attack on their citizenry never is. 

By whom?  If you watch Al Jazeera or Al Arabiya it absolutely is.

Edited by Loki

1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Practically every media outlet in the west. 

Fair enough.  Can you give me an example of an entirely justified, proportionate Hamas military response to an Israeli terror attack that's been misrepresented by Western media?