News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

• Paid Members

it's all meaningless because he and his supporters don't want consistent logic to their beliefs, they just want to be able to act with impunity and punish those they dislike - the old adage that Conservatism is the belief that there is an in-group that the law should protect but not bind, and out-groups that the law should bind but not protect - but you'd think someone would point out that, if what he's saying were true, there would never have been a peaceful transfer of power between every previous President, just a series of indictments and counter-indictments, yet for some reason it's only him that's being affected by this. Or, indeed, they could point out that if what he wants to be true were true, it would prevent him doing anything to punish or censure Joe Biden should Trump take office again, despite his followers banging the "Biden Crime Family" drum for the last few years.

The upcoming Primary in New Hampshire is crucial for determining whether Trump can be headed off at the pass.  If Nikki Haley can match or even beat Trump, she will become the de facto alternative choice and a bunch of support will coalesce about her.

Liz Cheney said something recently which is kind of how I feel about Nikki Haley.  Talking about Biden, she said

My view is, I disagree with a lot of Joe Biden’s policies. We can survive bad policies. We cannot survive torching the Constitution.

I'm hoping there are enough Republican voters out there who agree with this to stop Trump by voting for Biden (or not voting).  But in a similar vein, I'd rather someone like Nikki Haley became GOP nominee and then beat Biden, than have Trump.  I don't agree with almost any of her policies, but the US can survive them.  Not sure it can survive another 4 years of Trump.

• Paid Members

There's a lot of people on the left here who want Trump as the nominee, because "he'll be easy to beat." No thanks; like @Loki says, I'd rather have a shitty "normal" republican like Haley who will piss around with the tax code and pretend to take away Obamacare, even though she's likelier to win in a general election.

Looking forward to seeing what a general election is like in the place we live these days (Orange County, North Carolina); I'm predicting a million lawn signs (have considered making one myself that says "Lorne's Signs" and using it to advertise for design business), and more Trump ones than Biden, because Trump fans love to shout it from the rooftops. The county will easily go for Biden, as all of the people live in Hillsborough/Chapel Hill/Carrboro, three of the most liberal places I've ever been.

Only found out the other day that Nikki Haleys birth name is Nimarata Nikki Randhawa. So in my book that counts as STOP CALLING HER NIKKI. 

My favourite thing about American elections is always the local ads that mentalists put out for their campaign in their towns. Some absolute pearlers over the years and I’m hoping for more of the same this year. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Only found out the other day that Nikki Haleys birth name is Nimarata Nikki Randhawa. So in my book that counts as STOP CALLING HER NIKKI. 

My favourite thing about American elections is always the local ads that mentalists put out for their campaign in their towns. Some absolute pearlers over the years and I’m hoping for more of the same this year. 

@Keith Houchen An all timer here

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That’s one hell of an accomplishment list!  

☑️ Savin' babies

☑️ Protectin' ladies

☑️ Most pro-life candidate

🔲 Not being arrested for chasing a woman on a patio area near the hotel entrance, trying to retrieve a laptop computer from the woman, when she fell and hit her head on a concrete bench

20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm glad we're allowed to use this phrase again now!

It’s been part of Likuds constitution for decades but they obviously mean it in a nice way. 

23 hours ago, Chili said:

So if Donald Trump gets back in what's his mad plan this time (or is not having a mad plan his actual plan. That would be on brand of him.)

These are the things he's promised to do so far, if re-elected -

• indict and try Biden, Jack Smith, Merrick Garland, Christopher Wray and a host of other political enemies, and people involved in his prosecutions
  • round up undocumented immigrants and place them in concentration camps
  • deploy the US military to the Mexican border
  • invade Mexico
  • round up homeless people and also place them in camps
  • deploy the National Guard into all major cities to "fight crime"
  • bringing back the death penalty at a federal level (see point one)
  • tax all imported goods
  • wind down US involvement in NATO
  • roll back all recent climate legislation
  • construct new "freedom cities" on federal land
  • cut funding to any public schools that teach non-MAGA opinions like gender ideology, critical race theory etc
  • use DOJ to prosecute MSNBC for "illegal political activity" and withdraw broadcast licenses for news organisations that don't support him
  • pass federal law stating that trans people don't exist
  • pardon the Jan 6th insurrectionists
  • gut the federal government generally so that "so that faceless bureaucrats will never again be able to target and persecute conservatives, Christians, or the left’s political enemies".  All government employees will be vetted to ensure loyalty

If that all sounds like a recipe for a brutal religious dictatorship, he also said that he'd be a "dictator for one day only", presumably meaning he'd do all this on day one.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

I keep reading and hearing about various Western governments stating that the current 3 month long Israeli action. Cannot be classed as Genocide. Now I know that the South African prosecution is still under review. It is also a very complex charge and will be very difficult to prove.

However, is the stance of the Western governments. Essentially an attempt at bluffing those that they have sway over?

Families of the Israeli hostages disrupted a low level government meeting today (22/1/24). They forced there way into the closed door finance meeting. Usually this type of protest would have been dealt with harshly by the authorities. On this occasion the security seemed to take a low key approach to quelling the protestors. The families loudly called for the return of their family members. Currently held hostage by HAMAS. The general message was that the Hostages should not be forgotten about. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/22/gaza-hostages-relatives-storm-israeli-parliament-as-protests-intensify

https://x.com/CensoredMen/status/1749590238006063177?t=m2fKHnTZb9WYqjUazzcw9A&s=08

What the fuck is this cunt saying?

Edited by BigJag