News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

• Paid Members

The level of ignorance to the effect of this action is disgusting and barbaric. Horrible people make these excuses. I don't understand the necessity of what is happening in the world today. It can have always been the case. 

He said that he didn’t watch the whole video which he believed was about supporting Palestinians. However, the video contained a line wishing for “A black day to come upon all Jews”. So yeah, that’s well antisemitic. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

There definitely seems to be a leaning towards war in the Middle East. Israel keep poking the bear. They've recently attacked Lebanon and I think targeted a 2nd tier Hamas leader in Iraq.

www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/explosion-southern-beirut-suburb-dahiyeh-two-security-sources

America have recently made comments to slightly temper Israel in their attempts to ethnically cleanse Gaza of the Palestinians.

https://www.state.gov/rejection-of-irresponsible-statements-on-resettlement-of-palestinians-outside-of-gaza/

Incidents in the Red Sea are ramping up. The Yemeni groups are not backing down from the Western Naval presence. The US recently had a skirmish that left some Yemeni Houthi sailors dead.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/1/us-sinks-houthi-boats-in-the-red-sea-how-did-the-fight-unfold

It's all quite difficult to follow. The main Israeli offensive into Gaza is continuing. Continued horrific atrocities. Israeli political rhetoric comes across as reprehensible and bizarre. Almost unbelievable.

So after aiding Israel in killing thousands of civilians.  The US is now saying that Hamas cannot be eliminated. 

What goes on in their minds?

South Africa have put forward a charge of Genocide against Israel.

It's amazing that such establishments think they can get away with this type of foolishness.

Pretty good examination of Israel's actions in Gaza.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/27/palestine-and-israel-brief-history-maps-and-charts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67942983

Edited by BigJag

Should anyone be interested, Al Jazeera and showing live coverage from the ICJ of South Africa’s trial against Israel for their genocidal actions. Couldn’t see it on any other news outlet. It’s great seeing the Israeli representatives having to sit there and listen to the evidence knowing they can’t talk over it like they usually do. 

24 minutes ago, BigJag said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24041878.israel-south-africa-icj-case-everything-need-know/

This piece breaks down the case quite well.

What's the best way to watch Al Jazzeras coverage?

Got it on in the background on their YouTube channel:

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

If you’ve got Sky, it’s channel 511. 

It's on Freeview 267, 268 for Arabic,  you don't even need Sky!

It sounds like there's some hope this at least temporarily gets a ceasefire I think?

A full judgement is likely to take years.

Evidence will be heard over the next two days, and South Africa is hoping that the court will issue an interim order ordering Israel “not to engage in genocide, and to prevent and to punish genocide”.

So I assumed from that the idea is to at least stop the bombing?  No idea what happens bigger picture wise if they are found guilty, I would assume just more of the same rhetoric from that linked article "South Africa is cooperating with a terrorist organization that is calling for the destruction of the State of Israel"

The ICJ has no powers in itself, it can only offer opinions.

If it concludes Israel in committing genocide then Israel and the US will simply ignore it.

I think people are confusing this with the International Criminal Court in The Hague - that’s the one that issued arrest warrants for war criminals.

At some point in the future someone might try to prosecute Netanyahu in the ICC but not for years if at all.

Look, there’s very little the international community can do about Gaza in the short term. Besides which, a lot of governments are thinking about what their response to a similar terrorist attack would be, and deciding not to create a rod for their own backs in the future.

Edit: actually, speaking about organs of the United Nations, there is a (dormant) UN Trusteeship Council, which is one of the 6 main organs of the UN (alongside the General Assembly, the Secretariat, the ICJ, the Security Council and the Economic Council).

It was originally designed to help territories that were being decolonised to achieve security and stability after WW2.  It's been inactive since the early 90s as there are no more trust territories.

I'm wondering whether an eventual solution for Gaza is to hand control of it over to the Trusteeship Council and have the UN run it directly.

Edited by Loki

Presumably Hamas aren't going to be too keen on the idea of Gaza being run by the UN though. 

I wonder if some governments are also worried about how they'll look if they demand (in as much as they can) a ceasefire and then Hamas attacks Israel again. That sounds horribly cynical when things are so bad out there but what governments aren't cynical.

• Paid Members

It looks like the UK are going to begin military action against the Houthis. They may already have begun bombing the area. The Houthis are essentially a proxy of Yemen, and I believe supported by Iran. Why hasn't history taught these politicians anything. Is this really the best response they could come up with?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/12/yemen-houthi-rebels-who-are-they-what-attacking-us-uk-airstrikes-red-sea-crisis