News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

These days it's VERY hard to know who to believe and what's true and what's not when it comes to attacks like this.

IDF are usually very thorough and on the ball with this sort of thing, but in recent weeks that credibility has been called into question so it's not easy. Plus as well IF they did strike the hospital, they are hardly going to admit it to the world are they?!

• Paid Members

there was, apparently, a Tweet by an Israeli politician claiming credit for the hospital strike, using the usual IDF explanation of "Hamas are so evil they use human shields and hide in schools and hospitals" to justify why they'd be taking credit for bombing a hospital in the first place, and the Tweet was presumably deleted when the scale of the casualties became clearer.

But then, maybe that Tweet was faked, who knows? I find the whole situation far too depressing to get bogged down in figuring out what claims are true and what aren't - the first casualty of war is the truth, and all that.

Someone dropped a missile on a large hospital in Gaza City.  Unclear atm whose rocket it was, both sides doing the Spiderman point.  

Whoever's mistake it was, it highlights how awful this IDF operation is going to be.  Even if a side doesn't DELIBERATELY target civilians (and Hamas undoubtedly does this) the nature of urban warfare means IDF will end up killing a lot of innocent people as they clear Gaza City block by block.

I can't see any alternative though to be honest.  The policy of all of Hamas' neighbours over the last decade has been to contain them to Gaza but otherwise not force the issue, but the ferocity of their assault on Israel means that's now off the table.  Israel will occupy Gaza until it feels it's eliminated Hamas, and then enable elections.

Bear in mind Hamas were elected in Gaza in 2006.  About half the population weren't even born then!  So there's a whole generation of Palestinians who've had no say in any of this.

A full cycle of Palestinian elections in WB and Gaza, leading to some leadership that's not either approaching 90 or living in Qatar, and a change of leadership in Israel (Netanyahu is toast after failing the first rule of Israeli politics - keep the country safe)...  maybe there's a way forward.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What is the thing that doesn't matter? I'm struggling to understand this bit Rick. Definitely appreciate the sentiment of not feeling qualified to comment but this seems pretty flippant. 

Religion. And yes, definitely flippant. Apologies.

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Someone dropped a missile on a large hospital in Gaza City.  Unclear atm whose rocket it was, both sides doing the Spiderman point

One of those sides doesn’t have a rocket capable of such destruction, or they now do and this is the first time they’ve used it, and the other side warned their enemy that the hospital was a target and to evacuate it, then claimed they bombed it, then rolled back on claiming responsibility once the amount of civilian casualties became clear, then fabricated evidence to blame the other side, then deleted parts of that evidence with a time stamp that didn’t match. And of course they have form in bombing hospitals and civilian buildings. 

It sure is a mystery who is behind it. 

11 minutes ago, Loki said:

Netanyahu is toast

We’ve heard that more than once before!  What gets me is how Israel are prepared to kill their own people (hostages) to wipe out Hamas by flattening Gaza. 

• Paid Members

It's a horrible mess. I'm a little worried about how it's all being dealt with in parliament here at the moment as well. People are dying over there, and trying to conflate Hamas with Palestine really isn't going to solve anything. 

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Israel are prepared to kill their own people (hostages) to wipe out Hamas by flattening Gaza. 

Yup.  They will make an effort to rescue them but I doubt they'll succeed.

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

One of those sides doesn’t have a rocket capable of such destruction

Islamic State and Hamas both have the munitions needed to hit the hospital in this manner.  IJ announced they were firing one of their longer-range rockets into Israel only moments before the hospital was hit. At the moment I'd say it's about 60/40 probability it was this rocket that failed and dropped onto the hospital.   

IDF absolutely have the capacity to bomb a hospital, but I think if they had done they'd claim it, they usually do.  And I think they've been trying to get the hospital to evacuate for days, presumably because it's also an ammo dump for Hamas and they wanted to hit it. 

Edit: to declare, with a Lebanese wife I'm naturally pro-Palestine in the broad sense and think that Israel's current administration is fascistic and treats the Palestinians appallingly.  What is about to happen in Gaza could reasonably be described as ethnic cleansing.

BUT Hamas are some of the worst people ever.  Brutal zealots dedicated to the destruction of Israel, lapdog of Iran, whose leadership live the good life in Qatar whilst sending kids to die in battle and very happy to use their civilian population as human shields. Fuck them, anything they say should be treated with an abundance of caution.

Edited by Loki