News/Current Affairs thread

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

Don't worry Keith, I've posted numerous times here that I think what the IDF are doing in Gaza is barbaric, and the overnight strikes in Rafah are deeply worrying.

If people choose to ignore that, that's their business.  I don't see compassion as a zero sum game, having compassion for innocent civilians in northern Israel shouldn't have to always be qualified with a similar statement on what's happening to the south.   This being a news/current affairs thread, any other member of the forum is free to start a discussion on Rafah, and I won't immediately accuse them of antisemitism.

Just now, SuperBacon said:

I saw someone say yesterday that Jeremy Corbyn is a zionist as he advocates for the same thing that a zionist does, a two state solution.

I can't quite get my head round this. 

Do you remember when Ken Livingstone was expelled from Labour for saying Hitler was a Zionist? Livingstone’s reasoning was Hitler wanted Jews to have their own land so they wouldn’t be in his. 

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Loki said:

I don't see compassion as a zero sum game, having compassion for innocent civilians in northern Israel shouldn't have to always be qualified with a similar statement on what's happening to the south.   

I don't doubt your compassion or that you believe this, but I disagree wholeheartedly with this framing.

It's ignorant to the context that the remarkable amazing military technology being discussed is facilitating genocide. It doesn't matter that the iron dome is defensive, if Israel couldn't hide behind it they wouldn't be able to do what they are doing. What is happening would not be possible without the heavily lopsided military capabilities of the two sides involved in the conflict.

Which is where the complicity of the West lies, and also what makes it quite tasteless as a discussion point.

I would hope that anyone that has read the thread to date and your contributions doesn't think you're cheering for the deaths of Palestinians and I don't doubt your intentions. I don't think there's any need for Keith to get defensive on your behalf, but I do think you're wrong on this and would urge you to reconsider your position.

You make an interesting point @Chest Rockwell.   I'm not sure I agree that Israel wouldn't still be doing what they are doing (after all, they have fought the Palestinians in Gaza, West Bank and southern Lebanon long before the Iron Dome existed) but I can see what you're driving at in terms of asymmetric warfare.  I wasn't seeking to glorify any aspect of this, but I am still glad that we're not seeing more Israeli casualties making their government even more intransigent.

On the flip side, I see no evidence of Netanyahu backing down and unless internal opposition solidifies against him, one of those Western powers is going to have to intervene, surely. 

Edited by Loki

9 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm not sure I agree that Israel wouldn't still be doing what they are doing (after all, they have fought the Palestinians in Gaza, West Bank and southern Lebanon long before the Iron Dome existed)

Same here, they’ve been butchering and murdering before 2011 or when it became operational. Chest does make a good point about modern warfare changing the landscape and if it enables genocide. For me, it saves innocent lives and that’s never anything but good. As I said, I wish the Palestinians had one too and I can’t imagine anyone would wish Israel didn’t have it

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Same here, they’ve been butchering and murdering before 2011 or when it became operational. Chest does make a good point about modern warfare changing the landscape and if it enables genocide. For me, it saves innocent lives and that’s never anything but good. As I said, I wish the Palestinians had one too and I can’t imagine anyone would wish Israel didn’t have it

Do you think the IDF would have continued this long if they didn’t have it?

17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The Yemeni armed forces have apparently sunk a British cargo ship in the Gulf of Aden in the past few hours.

Yemeni military?  Jesus, that's serious friendly fire.  Are you sure it wasn't the Houthi rebels?

Edit: a quick google suggests the Houthis are claiming they did it

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/19/houthis-claim-catastrophic-attack-in-red-sea-as-crew-abandons-ship.html

Edited by Loki