Wrestlers - Netflix Documentary

Merzbow

Netflix are putting out a documentary on OVW, can Al Snow finally draw a dime?

But seriously, it looks interesting and I'm surprised it's taken until now to get a full show about the wrestling business like this. It's also from the creator of Last Chance U.

1 minute ago, Kfogg1991 said:

However is OVW still going??? And is Jim cornette a part of this 

OVW has been plodding along all this time, it's very much a small regional fed that's supposedly been solid all this time. They were a developmental fed for TNA for a while after the split from WWE and I think since Al Snow bought the company and took over they are working with TNA/Impact again.

No Corny, I don't think he's had anything to do with them for ages.

That is mental I genuinely thought it had stopped years ago. Not seen of heard a thing about it in God knows how long haha 

Fair enough though al snow is a genuinely good trainer he is slightly delusional and opinionated but still insightful 

There was a period OVW was genuinely brilliant around the era of The Spirit Squad, Armando Alejandro Estrada and CM Punk. I used to download it on XWT and it was my favourite show on TV at the time.

I’m a sucker for any wrestling doc so looking forward to this.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, FUM said:

There was a period OVW was genuinely brilliant around the era of The Spirit Squad, Armando Alejandro Estrada and CM Punk. I used to download it on XWT and it was my favourite show on TV at the time.

I’m a sucker for any wrestling doc so looking forward to this.

That was Paul Heyman’s stint of booking it I think. I used to get all the DVDs from his run there - Johnny Jeter as a despicable main event heel, Damien Sandow coming out to ‘Brick House’ with Beth Phoenix and Ariel on his arms, CM Punk and Brent Albright having a cracking series of matches, Ken Doane as the teenage prodigy, Osama Rodriguez Alejandro and Robbie Dawber bringing the backstage comedy along with Dean Visk and his ridiculous OTT promos … it was good stuff. I think I sold those DVDs to Marc from Wrestle Me last year and I hope the quality held up, some great one hour episodes of TV there.

I still remember the OVW roster from EWR - guys like Tank Tolland, Matt Capotelli, Horshu, Damaja.  They always had really high stats but no fame.

On 8/21/2023 at 11:57 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

That was Paul Heyman’s stint of booking it I think. I used to get all the DVDs from his run there - Johnny Jeter as a despicable main event heel, Damien Sandow coming out to ‘Brick House’ with Beth Phoenix and Ariel on his arms, CM Punk and Brent Albright having a cracking series of matches, Ken Doane as the teenage prodigy, Osama Rodriguez Alejandro and Robbie Dawber bringing the backstage comedy along with Dean Visk and his ridiculous OTT promos … it was good stuff. I think I sold those DVDs to Marc from Wrestle Me last year and I hope the quality held up, some great one hour episodes of TV there.

Yeah Heyman's booking stint in OVW was great. It gets slammed by the OVW diehards because it was not the Southern 'rasslin'' they had come to know but, as has been said, Jeter became a brilliant prick heel at this time, Matt Cappotelli (RIP) was the ultimate white-meat baby-face, Ken Doane shone as Heyman's mid-2000's version of the Franchise, the pairing of the over-the-top Mr Kennedy and the serious shooter Daniel Puder was great and Dean Visk's shouty 'roid-rage' gimmick was funny as fuck. Shame that never made WWE TV.

As he usually does, Heyman managed to hide the weaknesses and expose the strengths of the talent that was there at the time.

I have those shows on DVD somewhere. May need to dig them out and give them a watch.