Wrestlers - Netflix Documentary

Merzbow

Just watched the first two episodes so far.

Slow start as most of the first episode is obligatory explaining of the wrestling business. Second episode is much better, you get a lot more in to the guts of it and just generally a better flow.

Highlights the carny aspect of wrestling immensely, the stereotypical southern hick is well represented. The main woman they have focused on so far (and her wrestler boyfriend) is incredibly unlikeable and trashy. However, Al Snow and especially the commentator, Bryan, come across very well on it.

The radio DJ co-owner is an absolute obnoxious cunt though. 

Two episodes in as well, it's great fun so far. Definitely full on carny, sort of true to the business but totally anachronistic to the way you'd imagine WWE would rather control these kind of outputs. Snow does come off quite well. 

spacer.png

Boom period incoming!

Al Snow is a fucking idiot.

The Matt Jones fella swoops in at the start like a bit of a gobby dickhead, but by ep 5 or 6 he’s the only sane person in the room.

Al Snow though… fucking hell.

“We’re losing 30k a month”

”Let’s go on tour, as that makes money”

”no”

”Tony Khan wants to talk to us!”

”no”

…I’ve never seen someone so wrong so convinced by their rightness. He knows absolutely nothing about the wrestling industry as it is.

Heartbroken by the young girl talking about wanting to go to WWE whilst smoking weed and bragging about guns.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

ve never seen someone so wrong so convinced by their rightness. He knows absolutely nothing about the wrestling industry as it is.

He's always been an idiot. I remember a shoot interview clip with him where he insisted Andre vs Hogan was the best match at WM 3. He refused to acknowledge there was a difference between the best match and the biggest draw. 

"Who drew the house? Andre/Hogan - right. They sold the most tickets - so that was the best match" 

I guess that makes One Direction the best band in the world, right Al?

Reddit link to the video:

Edited by herbie747

17 minutes ago, herbie747 said:

He's always been an idiot. I remember a shoot interview clip with him where he insisted Andre vs Hogan was the best match at WM 3. He refused to acknowledge there was a difference between the best match and the biggest draw. 

"Who drew the house? Andre/Hogan - right. So that was the best match"

Didnt he shoot himself in the foot with that answer, as he himself hasnt drawn a dime in any company hes worked at. Im sure someone put that to him at some point, where by his own definition he was a crap worker whose never had a good match. Maybe it was a Youshoot he did?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Dai said:

Didnt he shoot himself in the foot with that answer, as he himself hasnt drawn a dime in any company hes worked at. Im sure someone put that to him at some point, where by his own definition he was a crap worker whose never had a good match. Maybe it was a Youshoot he did?

That was our very own Ian! Al did the job on his own YouShoot.

IMG-0560.jpg

You might say it was “one of the most legendary shoot interview moments ever”. 

Al Snow’s always seemed like a miserable, joyless, ‘I know better than everyone’ prick whenever I’ve seen him interviewed. 

12 minutes ago, Dai said:

There’s a scene in this where he’s watching modern WWE with some of his talent, and he’s berating it because “they just do moves” these days.

Bit cliche-Cornette, but fine… only he then goes on to talk about how he used to do it, and how “if I can learn to put it all together and be a huge draw, you sure as hell all can” and I don’t think there’s ever been a single sentence with as many lies in it before.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Al Snow as some great ones:

- There is only one pop per event and thats the main event. 

-If the crowd pops on your entrance, turn around and go back in as you've done you bit

The last one there is insane as it basically means someone like Hogan should have come out, and if the crowd pops (lets be honest when didn't it for Hogan 1984-1991) he should have just fucked he match off...... Queue the riot that would have ensued!!! 

I did used to like Ravens secret of the ring series. 

Yes he could be an arrogant egotist but he acknowledged he wasn't a mega star and whatsmore made alot of sense:

If you want to be a star you have to be loved or hate.... Not the middle. 

Need your own moveset 

Don't be afraid to sell

Have a reason for your moves/combinations etc

Invest in your look/character (if it looks cheap... You look third tier) 

Be unique or at least your own character 

Dont take stupid bumps or a million if u want a long career. 

All sensible advice. 

Said powerplant was a sadist cardio to death place

Tazs ecw one was like a dojo (which was rediculous as taz had been in he business 5m)

For all his issues id take his insight over Al Snows any day! 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

That was our very own Ian! Al did the job on his own YouShoot.

IMG-0560.jpg

You might say it was “one of the most legendary shoot interview moments ever”. 

Al Snow’s always seemed like a miserable, joyless, ‘I know better than everyone’ prick whenever I’ve seen him interviewed. 

Epic. Look at this face 😅

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't know anyone that's met, trained, or worked with Al Snow who doesn't think he was an utter prick. Doubly so around women. 

I can think of one wrestler who was trained by him who's only ever been respectful when talking publicly about him, but I do wonder if they think differently in private. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I don't know anyone that's met, trained, or worked with Al Snow who doesn't think he was an utter prick. Doubly so around women. 

He's never been offered a guest trainer spot at the Performance Centre which shows what hire ups in the WWE think of his wrestling mind.

On 9/13/2023 at 9:02 PM, METAL ON METAL said:

The radio DJ co-owner is an absolute obnoxious cunt though. 

Yeah, that part where he has the guy who runs the tv/does the graphics in the office and says "you have to show us, you're worth the money we pay you" basically threatening the guy's job.

Fucking dickhead.

I hope Mahabali Shera goes to the absolute top. I’ve never even seen him wrestle or his character but seems an absolute gem of a person. It’s rare for wrestlers to come off as likeable as he has, granted I’ve only seen 4 episodes so far.