Wrestlers - Netflix Documentary

Merzbow

• Paid Members

Yeah on a roster with the likes of Austin, Rock, Foley, DX, Undertaker, Kane, Sable etc I donā€™t think itā€™d have made a jot of difference one way or the other if old Leif Avatar was there or not. Be like Repo Man claiming he packed Wembley at SummerSlam 92 when he was nothing more than a bit player who couldā€™ve just as easily been replaced by Skinner and not a ticket sale or PPV buy wouldā€™ve been lost.Ā 

Al Snow is every ā€˜Old Skoolā€™ Brit Wres promoter/trainer Iā€™ve ever come across. Heā€™s a boring cunt who like shit outdated wrestling. Guaranteed he makes more money from those wrestlers than they make from him. What the fuck are Mr Pectacular and Shera doing slumming it with him.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, LCJ said:

Couldnā€™t quite believe my ears when I heard Al Snow say that he used to bring the Mannequin Head with him to restaurants and have conversations with it (literally living the gimmick). Also said heā€™d been kicked out of tonnes of restaurants because of that said behaviour. Bloody nutter!

He probably heard how Ted DiBiase used to live his gimmick in fancy restaurants and thought "Well, if it works for him....."

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to finish this yesterday. Overall I thought it was an entertaining watch but probably wouldn't be too interesting or well received to a non fan. Here a few of my mixed rambling thoughts about the people and events.

Al Snow - I like Al's old WWF character, in my opinion he was a decent bit player in 1998-2000, never going to be any further up the card due to the talent they had at the time but was able to get a pop and I imagine he was a solid hand for the house show circuit. In a time of faced paced storylines and short matches his work gave something. Another person could have filled that time yes but he did and he should be proud of that. Was he a draw in WWE? Not really, if you took away Rock, Austin, Foley, Taker, Kane, Triple H etc and stuck Al Snow in the main event it wouldn't have shifted any more tickets but he is a carny old wrestler so if he wants to call himself a draw then fair enough. I think he means well with OVW but definitely has some ridiculous ideas like doing a bloody live TV show, absolutely no reason to bother and the fact they aren't getting loads of their guys called up/ used on TV in WWE, AEW, Impact reflects what the top layer of the industry thinks of their training/ booking/ product sadly.

Matt Jones - I thought through most of it he came across as a bit of an egotistical belled but towards the end I could see that he does actually mean well, seems to have no filter and is probably more what OVW needs business wise than Al. He's clearly got a good mind for local business and sees that OVW needs to be more about the local statewide area rather than faffing about with live TV pissing in the wind, trying to compete with what's out there already.Ā 

Haley J - I didn't get her as a performer, to me she was like a more trailer trash version of Honey Boo Boo who wrestles. Her and the boyfriend didn't seem to have any clear understanding of how they'll need to behave if they were to start travelling around working for other promotions. A lot of entitlement and chips on shoulders there. I'd have preferred if the woman they focused on was Leila Grey who got signed to AEW. She seemed more interesting, dedicated and I'm sure nobody would argue better to look at.Ā 

As people have said, no idea why Shera or Godderz are hanging around OVW, both seem like decent workers who could fill a place anywhere else. Did they burn their bridges with Impact?

Overall it didn't enlighten me on anything new in Wrestling, it was nice to see how somewhere like OVW runs these days but I won't be suddenly watching their show.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, simonworden said:

As people have said, no idea why Shera or Godderz are hanging around OVW, both seem like decent workers who could fill a place anywhere else. Did they burn their bridges with Impact?

Ā 

Thankfully, Shera has been on Impact almost every week over the past couple of months. Not in a massive role or anything but at least it keeps him away from OVW a bit more frequently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just watching Episode 1 of this and I'll be honest, it's quite boring. Feels like I've seen this type of thing a million times, however I'll stick with it due to people in this thread saying it picks up after episode 1.

It doesn't help that so far it's been 30 mins of Al Snow doing sad faces and people calling him a legend of the business. Don't get me wrong, I used to be an Al Snow fan, but I never watched a show purely for Al Snow. His feud with Hardcore Holly was a fun time, but other than that and that Kennel from Hell match, I don't recall too much of his career.

I did a training seminar with Doug Basham about 12 years ago and always remember him being a really nice guy, glad to see he's still kicking around.

I'll stick with it, but I'm close to turning it off to watch The Wiggles documentary instead.

• Paid Members

I thought it was pretty decent overall. Matt Jones certainly feels like a dick but I thought he came off ok at the end. There's a particular scene with him that was pretty hard to watch and I'm surprised they kept it in. My only other takeaway is that Haley J's boyfriend is an absolute tool. Him getting interviewed in his wreck of a car was very apt.Ā 

All this chatter reminds me I bought a 'Got Head' T shirt in 1999. Al was over with me, even if he never drew a dime.Ā 

Edited by Silky Kisser

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

I'll stick with it, but I'm close to turning it off to watch The Wiggles documentary instead.

I'm definitely on board with this. My daughter is obsessed with them, and I really don't mind - Go Santa Go is a brilliant Christmas song, and the Shimmy Shake and Do the Propellor (among others) are objectively great songs. I want to know the full story behind poor Sam's unceremonious departure.Ā 

2 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Did he in anyway shape or form draw for ecw?

I donā€™t have access to ECWā€™s accounts from when Al Snow was there on loan from WWE but the promotion seemed to lose money more often than not over the years. I suppose they held shows in small arenas and before they were on TNN, they were on even smaller TV stations across the States and in poor time-slots. For all I know, a lot of States probably had no access to ECW at all. Itā€™s fair to say that Al Snow ā€œfound his feetā€ in ECW though when he started using the Head gimmick and he was definitely over. Probably only with a niche audience though.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I'm definitely on board with this. My daughter is obsessed with them, and I really don't mind - Go Santa Go is a brilliant Christmas song, and the Shimmy Shake and Do the Propellor (among others) are objectively great songs. I want to know the full story behind poor Sam's unceremonious departure.Ā 

They're something I should hate but can't help but love. My daughters, especially my youngest, love them. Well, mostly the Emma era but sadly she's gone now and doing her own thing. Plenty of their songs get stuck in my head all the time. And my arms ache often from doing the propellor.