The Simpsons

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

that Shaky one is magnificent.

While looking for a BBC Micro game I only vaguely remember yesterday, I discovered the existence of aĀ Yes Prime MinisterĀ game, which is a remarkable thing to exist.

Ā 

Anyway, Simpsons, yeah?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Even though most of it was shovelware and dogshit platformers, I do miss the days of every media property getting a tie-in video game, likeĀ Home ImprovementĀ getting a SNES platformer where you fight mummies and dinosaurs with a flamethrower.Ā 

Or the Home Alone dogshit where Kevin would die because he was sucked up the hotel vacuum cleaner.

33 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

God I'd love a Seinfeld side scroller.

I always pined for a big wacky Bottom SF2 clone where Richie or Eddie would summon massive frying pans or hit each other with Monica or Les Ferdinand, Sprouts Mexicaine could come into play, or performing QCF +P with Spudgun would see him shoot, err, his spud gun.

I spent way too much time on the Simpsons Cartoon Studio in my teens. It wasn't amazing, mainly because you couldn't flip the animations so you were stuck with characters walking on and off screen in a set way but it was daft fun and was in heavy rotation with Roller Coaster Tycoon.

• Paid Members

Octavius King did a video about Eastenders on the Spectrum the other day, and I bet a lot of you remember the Neighbours racing game.Ā 

• Paid Members

If we're talking 'anything could get a game' back then, the first issue of Commodore Format I ever got had a cover tape with a demo of the Viz game. A side-scrolling race with Johnny Fartpants, Biffa Bacon and Buster Gonad (and his unfeasibly large testicles).

Ā 

Seems like a very specific request - is there anywhere that has a recommended playlist of decent episodes of The Simpsons from the last 10-15 years or so?

I'm like everyone else in that I'm a devotee of the golden era but haven't watched the new ones in decades. I would quite like to watch some of the newer ones on Disney+ if they're good. The thought of watching all 34 seasons does seem like an unnecessary penance.

• Paid Members
On 8/23/2023 at 7:17 AM, StrongStyle said:

The thought of watching all 34 seasons does seem like an unnecessary penance.

Sure does, there are more than twice as many bad as there are good by now.

If this is as good a place to talk about the bad as it is the good, I did make a point to watch the Ricky Gervais episode many years ago, to see him voicing the same character he always plays. Which was jarring and made it seem even more like a vanity project than most of his vanity projects and felt like someone had just dubbed Brent saying "nothing sexual" over a Simpsons episode rather than an actual, legitimate Fox produced episode. Really made me pine for those years where someone on a level of Danny DeVito or Kathleen Turner or Michelle Pfeiffer could do a voice and it come across like an authentic character rather than "HEY LOOK AT THIS STAR WE GOT IN". Apart from that Krusty comeback episode where it was so on the nose that it felt like the point, and possibly even a sly knock at when other shows shoehorn celebs into their show regardless of if they fit. But of course, the same as in many respects, the show became everything they used to lampoon.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I'm a bit confused by all that TBH, because I'd understood the criticism of Apu is that the character is a stereotype of Asian Americans, regardless of who it's voiced by.

I've not really understood why then recasting Carl mattered. I'm sure there is a reason, I've just never heard it because I'm too sheltered.