The Simpsons

SuperBacon

On 8/20/2023 at 1:00 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

I used to have my juice in a mug with Narajita from the 82 World Cup on it. He somehow ended up being called Pedro Orange. 

Just in case you thought the name sprang from thin air:

spacer.png

Dey all look da same, innit.

Anyway, Bart vs the Space Mutants was a difficult game due to the controls/physics, but the first level (past which I saw little) captured the feel of the show tremendously. Making a prank call to Moe so that he'd come out of his Tavern was inspired.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Anyway, Bart vs the Space Mutants was a difficult game due to the controls/physics, but the first level (past which I saw little) captured the feel of the show tremendously. Making a prank call to Moe so that he'd come out of his Tavern was inspired.

That first little bit walking down the town of Springfield was cracking and made me beam as a kid. So many call backs. It proper put you in the world. 

All went to shit soon after though. There was a bit I think maybe in Krusty's funhouse where you had to pass over a huge gap in the floor on these jets of air... Never made it past that bit. Infuriating. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I grew up with Bart vs The Space Mutants on the NES and despite even as a kid thinking it was shit I played it to death. Chalk it down to a combination of being a kid and not letting a game being shit stopping you playing it, it being The Simpsons, and also my other games (Shadow Warriors, Mega Man 2, Gauntlet 2 to name a few) being just as difficult.
I do think it had some good ideas, even now. The puzzle elements of collecting/buying items and having to backtrack to change things another colour was good for the type of game it was, and there was some fun easter eggs suching as spending coins in the payphone to prank call Moe's Tavern. If the game didn't control so badly I think it would be more fondly remembered.
I never got further than Stage 2 in the Shopping Mall where the objective was now to collect hats. The precision platforming in that level had absolutely no right to exist and I never got any further than that.

A few years back my wife bought me a NES with all my childhood games and every so often I get nostalgic for games like this and George Foreman's KO Boxing regardless of their flaws. I might actually dig it out later and have a few goes.

As an aside, we went to Arcade Club in Leeds a few weeks ago and they had The Simpsons Arcade game there. It's fun but a nightmare on Free Play because it's always 4 Player with no way to drop out due to unlimited lives, so you're stuck with a Bart repeating the same Idle Voice Line over and over and have to manually move him along with you.

I saw S22 E20 recently - Homer Scissorhands - and thought it was really funny. And that’s way after the supposed cut off point of it not being good anymore.

Regarding games, I had the PS2 one. I remember the controls or camera angle being weird but there being loads of funny bits in it that made it worth playing.

There was also a gameboy game. Bart vs The Juggernauts? Think I only borrowed it and found it really hard. Might have to see if I can emulate it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

There was also a gameboy game. Bart vs The Juggernauts? Think I only borrowed it and found it really hard. Might have to see if I can emulate it. 

It followed on well from Escape From Camp Deadly in that respect - took me ages with my child’s brain to realise that to kill Rebound Rodney you had to throw your boomerang away then get him to turn around so it hit him in the back. Featured that depressing video game trope where you can lose the vital weapon needed to kill the enemy so you literally can either just stay alive as long as possible for your own amusement/until boredom sets in or let him kill you straight away. Then later there’s the climbing level, which I never beat. Of all the games I lost when the cat mistook my carry case for a place to piss, I missed that the least, probably. And I had some dogshit Game Boy games - Motocross Maniacs, anyone?

Juggernauts was prettier and slightly more fun but still gave up on it pretty quick.

For my quest to binge watch The Simpsons, I thought I’d write mini reviews as I finish each series (or season if you prefer. You probably don’t).

Series 1 - I really struggle with this one. The voices haven’t settled yet into what they would become. The animation is understandably bad in places. And I don’t find the majority of the episodes enjoyable or particularly funny. 

Favourite Episodes - Bart The General, The Call Of The Simpsons and Krusty Gets Busted are the standouts for me. A half naked Homer being attacked by bees and assorted critters never gets old. But there’s nothing overall in this series that I would have in a top 10 or 20 list. 

Favourite Guest Stars - not many to choose from, but I liked Albert Brooks as Bob the RV dealer and of course Kelsey Grammer as Sideshow Bob. 

Season 1 Rating - 🍩🍩 doughnuts.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

🍩🍩 doughnuts.

45 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

2 out of how many? 

35 minutes ago, Butch2000 said:

I give it five bags of popcorn.

Here's my review... on the Simpson scale of one to ten - ten being the highest, one being the lowest and five being average - I give this series a nine. Any questions? No? Then I'll just sit down.