The Simpsons

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

It was "appointment televisión" for us back then as well. We did get Sky around 93ish?so Sunday night we'd have our Sunday tea with the Simpsons and whatever new episode of Star Trek was airing. 

@air_raidI had that video in the picture, and also had Moaning Lisa. I can't remember every episode that was on that video that was taped off of Sky, though. 

It did feel like it was EVERYWHERE at some point. You had the music releases. The videos. Video games. Toys. It really was a phenomenon and one of the coolest things to like. But yeah as with anything that runs for that long it just sort of exists out there now.

Definitely remember having a few VHS but not sure which ones. Weirdly I have a clearer recollection of a Garfield & Friends video but that never hit Simpsons heights and I seem to be the only one that loved that..

• Paid Members

My first recollection of The Simpsons was "Do The Bartman" being in the charts despite it not being on terrestrial yet which is pretty weird looking back on it.

I read somewhere once that the big difference between peak Simpsons and anything post season 9 is that an episode would end with Homer and Marge taking a lovely bike ride together while a new episode would end with Homer shooting her with a tranquilizer dart.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Not really. It just stands to reason that he's the only Japanese person they know.

That’s my point, it felt like a massive stretch from “waiter that time they went to the sushi restaurant once years ago and probably never again because Homer could have died” to “guy whose name they remember and go seek guidance from about something Japanese.” Maybe it’s my own awkwardness but I found it not to ring true.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, air_raid said:

That’s my point, it felt like a massive stretch from “waiter that time they went to the sushi restaurant once years ago and probably never again because Homer could have died” to “guy whose name they remember and go seek guidance from about something Japanese.” Maybe it’s my own awkwardness but I found it not to ring true.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

It did feel like it was EVERYWHERE at some point. You had the music releases. The videos. Video games.

Since you brought up games, The Simpsons game on the PS3/360 is severely underrated. I thoroughly enjoyed it and wish there was a way to play it on modern systems. 

46 minutes ago, air_raid said:

He was also Barts Karate teacher. 

6 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Since you brought up games, The Simpsons game on the PS3/360 is severely underrated. I thoroughly enjoyed it and wish there was a way to play it on modern systems. 

It's criminal that and Hit & Run aren't backwards compatible, I think Hit & Run has been modded and patched to work on modern PC's at least.

That old Konami arcade game was *the* biggest thing for a while, you'd see bigger crowds around the sit down 4 player cabinet than even Street Fighter 2 for a while. It's amazing how well they got the feel and look of the show down so well, it's still a looker even today.

I was playing Hit and Run yesterday on emulator on Steamdeck with my daughters. They seemed to have fun with it. I don't actually remember playing it before so it's fun to spot the references. It did leave me wanting a modern equivalent with today's technology though.

The Arcade game is one of my most revisited retro games along with X Men. Glad I can finish them now without getting dragged away by my parents because we have no money left. I'd definitely buy the machine if I won the lottery and had room for it.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Playing the oldarcade game in some pub in whatever shithole coastal town my family went to that year on our summer holidays was a tradition I remember fondly.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

He was also Barts Karate teacher. 

Damn it, you’re right. One of the ones I missed during the 1995 repeats on Sky One, thus didn’t tape and watch incessantly over the next 10 years - only to see for the first time on DVD many years later and thus not have committed to memory like the rest.

IMG_1247.jpeg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

That old Konami arcade game was *the* biggest thing for a while, you'd see bigger crowds around the sit down 4 player cabinet than even Street Fighter 2 for a while. It's amazing how well they got the feel and look of the show down so well, it's still a looker even today.

It's especially crazy considering it was made after series one, so doesn't have 90% of the iconic characters and locations you'd expect, just a bunch of generic baddies who still manage to feel identifiable "Simpsons" in their presentation. And it has the old idea of Marge's hair hiding "Life Is Bell" bunny ears.