Just seen someone say Hulk Hogan "sucked at wrestling"

SuperBacon

5 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah, the comment of “Why break your back when you can get over by raising your eyebrow/putting your hand to your ear/flipping the opponent off misses the point that those things only got over because of who was doing it. Very few people alive have that kind of charisma. Imagine Chris Benoit working the exact same style and routine of a Hogan or Rock.

3 people would likely still be alive if he had . If you have to mush your brains to get over, you aren’t a good “ wrestler” 

24 minutes ago, Louch said:

3 people would likely still be alive if he had . If you have to mush your brains to get over, you aren’t a good “ wrestler” 

Personally I don’t think he had to mush his brain to get over but it wasn’t really the point I was making. Wrestling’s a circus, not everyone can do the same act. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I think the reason Flair/Hogan rarely worked is that they're both formula wrestlers - they both work their own match and slot the opponent into them, which is completely understandable when you look at the schedules they both had to keep up (400 days a year, brother). When they came together, they were too completely incompatible formulas, though - Flair's match relies around bumping and feeding and selling for the face, Hogan's involves selling for the heel until it's time for the comeback, and it's only really during that comeback that the two can mesh. Particularly in the WWF, where top stars weren't really expected to show vulnerability, and heels were generally dominant, to have someone like Flair begging off and selling like a maniac to put faces over made him look weak and not at all like a threat to Hogan.

For me, this is probably the best summing up of why Hogan vs Flair always felt a bit flat that I’ve ever seen. Never really put my finger on why it didn’t fully click all the way but this is it in a nutshell for me.

Some really good posts in this thread but all I can think about reading a lot of it is Ian stealing the show from Al Snow on his own YouShoot that time. 

IMG_4451.jpeg

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, IronSheik said:

Yup.

I can imagine one of those Benoit apologists saying something like this.

They’re fucking everywhere these days.

I’m seeing way too much “Bret Hart is overrated” bollocks these days too, if we’re expanding this to “shit modern day takes”.

And below is essentially the correct answer to this entire thread….

Did anyone, on a Tuesday morning in 1999 when Raw was doing monster numbers, remark once about how many stars the 3 minute Billy Gunn v Goldust match was worth?

On 8/1/2023 at 11:47 AM, BomberPat said:

You could nitpick and pull apart Hogan's technical ability, but that's never been what draws money.

Edited by garynysmon

On 8/1/2023 at 5:43 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Some really good posts in this thread but all I can think about reading a lot of it is Ian stealing the show from Al Snow on his own YouShoot that time. 

IMG_4451.jpeg

Side note-Al Snow shoot interviews where he talks about stuff like this are just total b0llocks! I can remember my mates raving about his interview where he said Hogan v Andre was better than Savage/Steamboat. Al Snow is just in the Cornette camp now of 'making out modern wrestlers know nothing' so they can make money from bitter old school fans.

Actually look at Al Snow's body of work-why would any aspiring wrestler in their right mind take advice from him?

39 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

can remember my mates raving about his interview where he said Hogan v Andre was better than Savage/Steamboat. Al Snow is just in the Cornette camp now of 'making out modern wrestlers know nothing' so they can make money from bitter old school fans.

Actually look at Al Snow's body of work-why would any aspiring wrestler in their right mind take advice from him?

I mean the "better than.." argument is completely subjective isn't it? Depends on what his reasoning is. If you're looking at what was the bigger draw and has a more iconic place in history then it's not entirely bollocks.

And yeah Al Snow didn't exactly hit the heights of many other wrestlers but as a guy who had a career spanning multiple decades I'm pretty sure there's some knowledge there worth listening to.

I've warmed to Al in recent years. Perhaps he has genuinely mellowed or just eased off on his "persona" of late, but I've seen a couple of his later seminars and interviews and there's some really simple but insightful stuff in there, from wrestling technique to basic psychology. Like Cornette, the kernels of truth can be buried under character and hyperbole, but Al and guys like Billy Gunn were on WWE's roster for multiple eras and were trusted by the top brass to educate the next crews. A guy's on-screen career "achievements" are less relevant when those above them were simply applying those basic principles to an extreme standard. Plus Stone Cold and The Rock haven't hung around catering to offer any insights, and HBK turned NXT into am dram marathons that got mostly axed as soon as they could afford to get crowds back.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Which one? Hogan or Rogan?

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

The one who chats shit that’s easily debunked with the use of a search engine obviously.

Answer the question, dammit

Hogan is always an interesting listen.  The guy is a walking gimmick still, and sadly will never give an honest account of his life, because it's honestly an amazing life without any embellishment.