Just seen someone say Hulk Hogan "sucked at wrestling"

SuperBacon

This is absolute bollocks isn't it and a stupid thing to say?

I mean, I'm not even a fan of his, but just because he wasn't putting on 5 star technical classics, doesn't mean he sucked at wrestling does it? He very clearly didn't. 

Otherwise he wouldn't have been one of the biggest stars of all time right?

It's like when people used to say John Cena couldn't wrestle when what they really meant was 'John Cena doesn't wrestle in a way that I personally like' 

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

It's like when people used to say John Cena couldn't wrestle when what they really meant was 'John Cena doesn't wrestle in a way that I personally like' 

Yeah it's definitely this.

There's no way that Hogan could've had the success he did at the heights he did for the length he did if he sucked. Same with Cena.

It wasn't a random guy winning a championship that was overpushed and no one gave a shit about him.

He knew exactly what he was doing. Obviously there's many conversations over the years about the politics and all of that BUT you can't argue against his genuine success and understanding how to work a crowd and all of that.

Hogan. An awful, woeful, useless TV actor. 

Hogan. A brilliant theatrical performer in the round who without having to deliver genuinely emotional or good dialogue can work several thousand people into a tizzy.

It's 'the routine' people don't like with Hogan personally. The irony given it's one the functions of wrestling. Probably down to him treating the business as it should too. Smart man with stupid opinions.

He's also, and I do like Hulk, a proper clunky fucker when he tries his 'good in Japan' armbars and takedowns but that's here nor there. 

Hogan just worked as hard as he needed to, like what's the point of him putting on a Flair like classic in 1985 when doing the typical Hulk match would draw like fucking crazy?

But I will say that one thing he likely needed was a good agent like a Pat Patterson as you can almost instantly see a drop in quality during the WCW run whenever a Flair or Savage aren't involved. Even the typical entertaining Hulk matches with big giants from before never quite hit the same.

Edited by Merzbow

It’s easy to forget how athletic you have to be just to do the basics of pro wrestling never mind excel at them and be a fucking unit of a human being doing that. Hogan’s second WWE run seems to be getting a retrospective re-love in at the moment and it should, he was magnificent and unselfish and it’s easily one of my favourite times in pro wrestling. A rotten human being but a master of pro wrestling.

The thing about looking back at a guy like Hogan is a lot of people see his routine and basics and think it was lazy but the whole psychology of wrestling itself was completely different at that time. So many moves that are now transitional or basic were seen as big moments back then. It wasn't just Hogan and how he did things.

I always love watching the older shows back and seeing the crowds invested in every move no matter how small they look now. While these days you'll get guys trying to kill each other off ladders and barely get a reaction because everyone's seen it all before.

So yeah Hogan did what worked for him. And if that was what the crowd wanted and paid for then why wouldn't you?

Japan Hogan is a bit of a meme, but he knew his audience, Not gonna bust out an enziguri in New York City now is he? And he isn't gonna hulk up and point in Tokyo. He knew how to work where he was, that's a great worker. And yeah, a tosser, but a great worker.

Anyone who thinks Hogan can’t wrestle is usually the type that act like they know more about wrestling than anyone, when in reality they miss the whole point of it - to do the least and get paid the most. hogan and cena get the heat for doing a routine, but it’s ignored when you point out that Austin got hottest when he had to limit what he could do and did the simple things better. Less is always more to a wide audience. 

46 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Meltzer disagrees. It was too predictable. 

The day the IWC then the wrestlers let Meltzer be judge Judy and executioner of what’s good or not, interest dropped. Hear his name mentioned more than half the talent these days, and he’s never drawn a dime to a card  

Hogan is absolutely physically wrecked as well, he didn’t get that way jetskiing.

He dropped the leg every night of the year for a decade on a ring far harder than modern ones.  He may not have jumped off the top rope or kicked his opponents in the face but his style ultimately was pretty physical BUT in a way that he was the one taking the toll.

How many stories are there about Hogan injuring his opponents?  Not many.  Wrestlers loved working with Hogan as they got big crowd reactions and big paydays whilst wrestling a safe match.

He was in TNA wrestling with Bobby Roode with a fucking battery embedded in his back.

Greatest professional wrestler of all time who was a part of some of the best wrestling matches of all time, the biggest wrestling (or any other) gates of all time and the largest PPVs of all time.  Everyone made money thanks to Hulk.

Edited by Loki