Just seen someone say Hulk Hogan "sucked at wrestling"

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
On 7/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, air_raid said:

Hogan said the best worker is the one that gets them to make the most noise, so that's all that matters in my book.

The point stands.

Not verbatim but I remember watching an interview where one of his opponents talked about adding something into the match near the end. Hogans response was along the lines of "why would you want to do that, you've already got their money, brother." Which is very true.

People pay to see the spectacle of Hogan live for the entrance, the hulking up and the posing at the end. He very rarely deviated from the same formula. 

I think over time people have got frustrated with him winning so many of his matches. Over the years more and more people have got wise to the business to the point that winning the match isn't the be all and end all. I wonder how many of his matches might have been looked upon in a more favourable light if he was just willing to take the L. Against Sting, anyone?

In closing, no he isn't technically gifted but he uses the basic, prey on the emotion of the crowd to the fullest. Does he suck at wrestling? Now we know the business for what it really is, no-one makes that much money and stays in the business for as long as he has by "sucking at wrestling". Wrestling is a business, not a sport.

• Paid Members

I never watched him in the WWF at the time, so maybe because I watch most of it through older eyes I can't see it with the same nostalgia, so my analytical brain kicks in, There's no arguing that he knew what to do in the ring and when, and that IS wrestling. You don't have to do be able to do all the moves all the time, just the right moves at the right time to get the reaction from the crowd. He could talk, he could tell a story in the ring, and most importantly he could make money by the bucketload.

Also he was in the nWo, and I'm a big fan of the nWo. His TNA run was hilarious as well.

My all time favourite is Sting, and the same "criticisms" could be made of him, he had a limited repertoire, a lot of punch kick, the Stinger splash, the scorpion deathlock, and his most frequently used finisher, as calculated by @air_raid and I that time while watching the bluray collection: the schoolboy roll up.

I didn't enjoy his early 90s WWF run, I was a kid, who thought it was real, and the American stuff didn't really get me going. I liked guys with face paint so Warrior, Sting and LoD were who I was in to. I did enjoy the nWo and booing Hogan was my dream. I enjoyed his TNA stuff too, his stuff there was underated.

Despite not supporting him in the 90s I can look back and appreciate what he did. The crowd reactions he would get were amazing, and I am able to get behind him more now when watching it. He could wrestler as being a good wrestler is getting fans invested in your matches.

Can’t recall any five star classics from him but who cares? Hogan is one of the top draws in pro wrestling history and is arguably the most famous wrestler (worldwide) of all time. Hogan had a knack of having the crowd in the palm of his hand and knew how to manipulate his audience. Hogan has surely got to be one of the richest wrestlers in history too, no? I mean, sure, Dwayne Johnson will be richer now but that’s because of his Hollywood career. I’m guessing Hogan has made more money than any other wrestler from the actual wrestling business alone.

All the talk of smart business and doing little for a lot, and great promos - that's all true.  But his real genius was in that ring.

He was absolutely brilliant at selling.  Large chunks of any Hogan match were him selling taking a vast beating from some monster heel.  He was as good at it as anyone else in my opinion.  He'd reel around the ring, sweating and bleeding, arching his back in pain so the kid in the seat at the back of the bleachers could feel his agony.  People got tired of his winning so many matches, but most of the time his opponents came away as household names feared for their toughness and brutality.  

Which is what made that comeback spot so special.  By the time he shook his head and pointed his finger, he had 50,000 people in the palm of his hand, living and dying with him.  

If you go back and look at his lowest point really, the end of his first face run in WCW when history will tell you that he'd lost his appeal and was old hat... just go back and listen to those crowds.  He got pops every night that some wrestlers will hear once in a career at Wrestlemania.   Wrestling really isn't about the moves, or the wins and losses, it's about getting the audience to care and I don't think anyone was able to do that as well as Hogan.  Someone mentioned that last match against Sting at Bound For Glory when he was almost completely crippled.  He couldn't do ANY moves, he couldn't take a bump, he was working a small crowd for a B-rate wrestling show, he had none of the things that people assume he used to become a big star.

He’s just a beaten up, broken down former star bleeding, hanging from the ropes, all his faults laid bare.

And then he steps out of that corner....

Edited by Loki

11 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I always love watching the older shows back and seeing the crowds invested in every move no matter how small they look now. While these days you'll get guys trying to kill each other off ladders and barely get a reaction because everyone's seen it all before.

So yeah Hogan did what worked for him. And if that was what the crowd wanted and paid for then why wouldn't you?

Perfect example of this being the recent Blood & Guts match. The crowd have had thumbtacks, chairs, glass(!) & tables…in a cage...but then chant “we want fire”! Fire!!! Personally have a genuine fear of the stuff dating back to being a kid but scares me rigid seeing it in pro wrestling. It’s just so unpredictable and unnecessary.

It’s like ladder matches as well but Hell in a Cell/standard cage matches - fans were craving more and more craziness.

And to bring it back to Hogan…remember when he suplexed Boss Man off the top of the cage* (*not actually from the top of the cage in reality) on SNME. THAT was seen as a the big, not seen before spot but got over huge. He knew what to do, and when and for the optimal reaction and emotion. 

Anyway, I’m now going off to watch Best of Saturday Night’s Main Event on the Network and cry into my hot chocolate whilst reminiscing about simpler times 🥲

Edited by SpykeDudlei1
Cutting out a bit from the OP post

The #1 babyface as the WWF took over wrestling. And the #1 heel as WCW did. 

He had epic WrestleMania main event matches in three different decades.

If you don't at least understand Hogan's success, you likely weren't there and actively don't want to.

• Paid Members

"What's a good way of stopping a fire?"

"Don't provide it with oxygen."

You can replace fire with moron, and suddenly, there are a few less ridiculous opinions knocking about. 

6 hours ago, Vamp said:

If its so basic how comes no one did it better?

More should be trying to even get close even if they can’t match