AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

Had no intention of watching this but when your youngest wakes up at 4am and you need time to kill.. Happy fathers day!

But yeah the Punk stuff didn't convince me that my original lack of care was wrong. Wasn't anything there that made me feel like I wanted to invest in him.

I'll stick with Dynamite if they can continue on the form they're in at the moment.

@LaGoosh I mean, you’ve taken that a bit too literally there, I obviously didn’t mean offended in that sense, but you’re right bored is a better word.

Gay as FOOK has summarised my thoughts on what I consider to be shooty bollocks above though. I think the promo itself made total sense in a wrestling context and I don’t think there was anything that you needed to know the backstage stuff to understand.

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Something interesting or new, perhaps?

Like what? He literally done the CM Punk version of Austin coming back drinking beer and giving the finger. Or Rock cutting PG-13 edgy jokes. Or Bret talking about how there's still nobody that can outwrestle him. Or Flair screaming about shagging all night long. 

It was an exactly what it says on the tin promo that the live audience ate up. I don't even mean to sound like I'm championing the guy so much because he's far from my favourite, but could it be a case of people simply not liking him? I'd just say "I'm not arsed about him" because we clearly weren't getting any radical overhaul of his character. 

• Paid Members

If Collision proved anything it's that nothing has changed. The fans who are not interested in Punk still aren't and the fans that are still interested in him still are. I'm not sure there is anything Punk could have done to change the minds of the former so why change and risk alienating the latter. Same for FTR really. 

49 minutes ago, Loki said:

How you can say that wasn’t a “worked shoot bollocks” promo?  That’s exactly what it was, that’s his only promo nowadays, and we all know that these things only serve himself.  How many wrestlers did he help elevate in his last run?  None, but he ran down a fair few.

I think MJF benefited enormously from working with Punk, and at the tail end of their feud his stock and star power never felt higher. Unfortunately his momentum has since stalled, but I don’t think Punk’s to blame for that. 

Punk’s programmes in AEW have typically been very exciting to watch - the stuff with Kingston, MJF, the Moxley face-off - watching him team with Sting and Darby was also a real joy. 

24 minutes ago, FUM said:

Not really sure what people expect from CM Punk. His entire popularity was based around the worked shoot stuff. One of his catchphrase for years was calling the mic a “pipe bomb” because you were to expect a shoot so to speak.

It’s literally his wrestling character.

I don’t think I agree with that. In the context of AEW there’s been some reality-based stuff, sure, but nothing that requires wrestling to be ‘a work’ to make sense - the MJF and Eddie Kingston feuds being key examples of what I mean.

I don’t even think it’s true for WWE, for the most part. The Straight Edge Society certainly wasn’t based around a worked shoot; and while the ‘pipebomb’ promo did lead to a bit of that, it didn’t really work out and they pivoted to a heel WWE title run that was firmly based within the confines of wrestling.

As far as last night goes, given how knowledgeable the AEW fanbase is - and clearly the Chicago crowd was, I don’t see how anyone could expect him not to reference what happened, just as The Elite did when they were in Chicago; albeit in a different way. 

Don’t get me wrong, I have mixed feelings about his return; but he’s clearly a talented guy, and can bring a lot to the table if he can keep calm and healthy.

How was his promo a pipebomb? He made two lame references to The Bucks then went on about how sold out Chicago arenas (Which if you look at the crowd, he didn't lol)

His fans are almost as insufferable as he is. Not on here, you lads are sound and reasonable, but some of the people on twitter etc. Errrrugh.

• Paid Members

"People either love me or hate me, but I don't care because the only people who hate me hate me because I'm real & say what I really think #NoFilter".

I think Punk lifted his promo from the Facebook bio of a (universally hated) single mum.

6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Seems like an odd complaint. How do you feel about Orange Cassidy not been orange, or Samoa Joe been from California, or The Young Bucks that are in their mid to late 30s? Is the only person you like Big Bill, although I think you might be ok to like Brandon Cutler because I think I once purchased a fork from him in Asda. 

All wrestlers are insecure, it's part of the business as there is always the next big thing around the corner coming to take their spot. Punk has made it his gimmick and there seemed to be plenty of Punk t-shirts so it's obviously working. I did enjoy the bit where they panned to the crowd and the first thing you see is a guy in a Cornette t shirt though. 

Anyway I'll leave you to your rugby league and your pottery Jonny, I'm off to try and hunt a zebra for my lunch, which in the wilds of Lincolnshire is fairly tricky. 

I believe the appropriate response is;

"He's not gonna shag you mate".

I don't see how me pointing out that someone's entire gimmick which he himself in this promo says is "the only one who's real" is that he's alternative, against the system, punk...but is actually the absolute opposite of those things and has been for years and years would be in any way comparable to me taking everything literally.

Though can someone please explain to me why Dwayne Johnson was allowed to be called The Rock when he's clearly a human being and not made from rock?

You've also said the fans who like Punk do and those who dont, wont and nothing can change that.

I used to love Punk as an act, there was a time he genuinely could have called himself the BITW at that time but that time was a very long time ago now. There was a time when everyone loved Dolph Ziggler. 

Now though he is just a pain in the fucking arse and if him being there or not isn't going to change anything - which attendances and ratings wise it appears not to - then why bother putting up with his shite.

Whether you, I or anyone else likes the YB's or not they have done more to change the business than he ever did. He knows that, he's insecure and jealous about it.

He might have made more money (for himself) and been more popular/famous but that's because he was in the biggest company in the world and they strapped a rocket to his back for a period of time. 

The Bucks went from being fucked out of TNA and barely being able to pay to get by to earning six figures each a year as fully independant wrestlers.

They then went on to be a major part of the biggest alternative to WWE in 20 years and whether AEW has been getting progressively worse or not they still played a gigantic part in it.

For all he wants to think he's different he needed the WWE and the machine and to suck the milk from Vince's evil old teets because he had to sell out to advance himself.

They turned it down, did it all for themselves, took that gamble because they valued their happiness and principals more importantly than being somewhere they didn't want to be working for people they didnt want to and it paid off.

Whilst he was suing his best mates they were providing them with jobs to set them up for life.

How much he hates and is insanely jealous about all of that is seeping out of every pore of his body.

I'm not even a big fan of The Bucks but what they've achieved is undeniable.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Or stick FTR and Wardlow with Punk rather than MJF, and make that the heel group. At this point, MJF I might actually be best-placed being the company’s top babyface. 

Considering Punk's love of Bret Hart, he could try recreate the Bret/Austin double turn. 

• Paid Members

I thought the whole thing was fine. Not great, but not bad either. Other than closing cold and not doing a big angle, it was pretty much exactly what I expected.

I liked the opening promo. Ticked all the necessary boxes. Acknowledged the elephant in room, reminded everyone that whatever you think of him he’s still fucking incredible when it comes to delivery, had that mad, chaotic energy we’ve been missing, and sprinkled just enough Bret-Hart-in-1997 lines to make it clear he’s probably going heel whether he feuds with The Elite or not. In any other city, he’d have been booed out the building. Obviously the dream scenario is an eventual confrontation with Kenny and The Bucks, but either way he seems destined for a run leaning in to his dickhead tendencies. Got the perfect look for it, all scrawny with the shaved head. Peak heel Punk. The only thing missing is Paul Heyman. Fair play, too. The Counterfeit Bucks line was really clever. Bet he was delighted when he came up with that.

I wonder why he brought the belt out in a bag? Some weird politics about him not being seen holding the actual Title? At a push, I thought it may have played into KENTA attacking him, since KENTA has been banging on about wanting THE BAG to fight him, but nothing seemed to come of it. Also, any continuation of the CM Punk vs. MJF feud is fine by me because - let’s not forget - it’s one of the greatest feuds of all fucking time.

Wardlow one again in the bin. All worth it to see Christian celebrating as if he’d won the belt though. Top banter. Love him.

Double J vs. Mark Briscoe. The one dream match that can overshadow Okada vs. Danielson!

Andrade looked great. It’s easy to forget he can actually go. Less mumbling in stairwells and more TV bangers this time, please. He and Matt Hardy should be kept apart as much as Punk and The Elite. The House of Black attacking Andrade seemed weird, as it suggests he’s going to remain a babyface, but a potential situation where RUSH and Brodie King knock shite out of each other? Sign me up.

Miro looked phenomenal. Great to have him back. All hail the Redeemer.

Tony Schiavone scissoring. Ten stars.

Really fun women’s tag. This whole Outcasts thing has improved dramatically now they’ve seemingly dropped the faction warfare element and have just made them a normal group of heels. Willow Nightingale continues to be the one. Her pounce to Ruby on the outside was bonkers.

Solid main event. Not sure it achieved what they intended though. For a match that primarily existed to put a spotlight on FTR and Punk, it was Samoa Joe who stole the show and looked the best out there. He looks great! Similar to Eddie Kingston, can we bring this man back to regular TV already and stop wasting him behind a paywall for ROH? Has Joe ever wrestled Ishii? Pair them up for Forbidden Door! Dream hoss battle!

So yeah. Weird show overall. No spark whatsoever. Just there. The worst, most boring show of the week. What’s supposed to be Punk’s big homecoming, with a whole brand built around him, and yet nothing to get excited about or any clear direction going forward. Does he just feud with Samoa Joe some more? Being in Chris Hero? Does he turn on FTR and join Sugababes Gold? It felt really lacking that we weren’t given a hook to come back next week. Almost as if the whole thing has been a massive pain in the arse and just getting through this show and ensuring Punk showed up was a big enough success!

Edited by Supremo

48 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I wonder why he brought the belt out in a bag? Some weird politics about him not being seen holding the actual Title?

I wonder if it’s a simple as them/him coming up with the idea to do that late, and not having a/the World title belt to hand? Otherwise, it’s a strange decision.

I also agree with the criticism of the announce team. The ROH team are far superior, and would have been a better choice for this show. I’m hoping Kelly/Nigel grow on me as their chemistry develops.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I believe the appropriate response is;

"He's not gonna shag you mate".

I don't see how me pointing out that someone's entire gimmick which he himself in this promo says is "the only one who's real" is that he's alternative, against the system, punk...but is actually the absolute opposite of those things and has been for years and years would be in any way comparable to me taking everything literally.

Though can someone please explain to me why Dwayne Johnson was allowed to be called The Rock when he's clearly a human being and not made from rock?

You've also said the fans who like Punk do and those who dont, wont and nothing can change that.

I used to love Punk as an act, there was a time he genuinely could have called himself the BITW at that time but that time was a very long time ago now. There was a time when everyone loved Dolph Ziggler. 

Now though he is just a pain in the fucking arse and if him being there or not isn't going to change anything - which attendances and ratings wise it appears not to - then why bother putting up with his shite.

Whether you, I or anyone else likes the YB's or not they have done more to change the business than he ever did. He knows that, he's insecure and jealous about it.

He might have made more money (for himself) and been more popular/famous but that's because he was in the biggest company in the world and they strapped a rocket to his back for a period of time. 

The Bucks went from being fucked out of TNA and barely being able to pay to get by to earning six figures each a year as fully independant wrestlers.

They then went on to be a major part of the biggest alternative to WWE in 20 years and whether AEW has been getting progressively worse or not they still played a gigantic part in it.

For all he wants to think he's different he needed the WWE and the machine and to suck the milk from Vince's evil old teets because he had to sell out to advance himself.

They turned it down, did it all for themselves, took that gamble because they valued their happiness and principals more importantly than being somewhere they didn't want to be working for people they didnt want to and it paid off.

Whilst he was suing his best mates they were providing them with jobs to set them up for life.

How much he hates and is insanely jealous about all of that is seeping out of every pore of his body.

I'm not even a big fan of The Bucks but what they've achieved is undeniable.

I believe the response is 

The Young Bucks aren't going to shag you either mate. 

Now that we've both used lazy unfunny responses let's leave that part there. 

No part of AEW has changed the business, all they've done is restore it to what it was. There needed to be somewhere outside WWE that had regular TV, toured and had regular PPVs and they have done that better than anyone since the demise of WCW. All of them should be congratulated on what they have built. It has improved the wrestling landscape immeasurably since it started, and for all of us we should remember that. It isn't game changing, and you could argue that it's regressive to go to PPV when WWE changed the game by giving you all the PLE's for one price per month. 

Then the Bucks have politicked backstage against other wrestlers, looked after their friends and released information to the dirtsheets for their own advantage. Absolutely game changing. 

None of that though gets us away from the fact you said his name his Punk and he's not very punk. I can only hope no one let's you near Ricky Steamboat otherwise there could be a maritime disaster. 

I always assumed he was called The Rock because he was the foundation on which everyone could build, which wasn't far wrong, even though his main opponent was always operating at room temperature despite his name.