AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Absolutely baffles me the thought process behind the Collision launch. Barely advertised, barely built, and then the matches they do finally announce are Dynamite level at best. Who decided putting Buddy Murphy in a singles match instead of at least a HoB Trios was a good idea? The team is barely a draw, never mind the weakest member of it.
Also Miro in action, who cares? It's clearly not against anyone decent or they'd have announced it.

It could end up being a ten out of ten show but you would never predict it based on the card or build. It looks abysmal and they've given nobody any reason to think otherwise.

It's sounded to me like the date was forced on them by the channel, and they were clear they wanted Punk. So everything's been contingent on getting that sorted - and likely on shorter notice than they originally hoped. Meanwhile, whether they could get Punk or not probably made a difference to where they booked. Same with storylines, etc.

And, on top of that, Punk not necessarily meaning what he meant in the last run. A whole bunch of people who liked him a lot seem like they've just got sick of him (including me).

Hopefully, they'll get things sorted once they're up and running, but it's not an inspiring start.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Absolutely baffles me the thought process behind the Collision launch. Barely advertised, barely built, and then the matches they do finally announce are Dynamite level at best. Who decided putting Buddy Murphy in a singles match instead of at least a HoB Trios was a good idea? The team is barely a draw, never mind the weakest member of it.
Also Miro in action, who cares? It's clearly not against anyone decent or they'd have announced it.

It could end up being a ten out of ten show but you would never predict it based on the card or build. It looks abysmal and they've given nobody any reason to think otherwise.

I think the obvious problem is that Tony Khan is over worked already with Dynamite, Rampage and ROH and that adding another show leaves him spread even more thinly. Then add in that he has to book around some pretty hefty egos on all the shows and it spreads him even thinner. 

Punk didn't need a match first week back. A promo would have done and as long as he didn't go all Vince Russo Bash At The Beach he could reference the problems he feels he has had then you build from there. 

Tony is going to have to pay Punk's contract one way or another. This way might be a great start, but they've made it more difficult than they needed. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I think the obvious problem is that Tony Khan is over worked already with Dynamite, Rampage and ROH and that adding another show leaves him spread even more thinly. Then add in that he has to book around some pretty hefty egos on all the shows and it spreads him even thinner. 

Punk didn't need a match first week back. A promo would have done and as long as he didn't go all Vince Russo Bash At The Beach he could reference the problems he feels he has had then you build from there. 

Tony is going to have to pay Punk's contract one way or another. This way might be a great start, but they've made it more difficult than they needed. 

The booking has certainly had some changes recently. Jimmy Jacobs has apparently joined this week and QT Marshall, Sonjay Dutt, Pat Buck and Bryan Danielson have also been heavily involved in creative according to the dirtsheets, so I think they are resolving some of those issues.

19 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Absolutely baffles me the thought process behind the Collision launch. Barely advertised, barely built, and then the matches they do finally announce are Dynamite level at best.

Barely advertised: Month plus of Tony Khan stumbling through weekly announcements drip feeding information about the show. Which took up time on their most popular show.

Barely built: For better or worse they chose to frame the debut around the return of CM Punk.

The rest of the matches they finally announce being Dynamite level at best. If that's the impression you've taken away from it. I'm sure they'd love that. Since being seen on a par with Dynamite is the hope. As with a lot of AEW shows, it's going to be the stuff that isn't announced that helps make the show memorable.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Barely advertised: Month plus of Tony Khan stumbling through weekly announcements drip feeding information about the show. Which took up time on their most popular show.

Barely built: For better or worse they chose to frame the debut around the return of CM Punk.

The rest of the matches they finally announce being Dynamite level at best. If that's the impression you've taken away from it. I'm sure they'd love that. Since being seen on a par with Dynamite is the hope. As with a lot of AEW shows, it's going to be the stuff that isn't announced that helps make the show memorable.

What information did they drip feed about the show that would draw anyone? It wasn’t matches because they seemingly all got announced in one go with no build. 

The idea they built around the return of CM Punk is shaky too. He wasn’t even confirmed until a week or so ago. They built on the idea that they might announce CM Punk is coming back, but there was a good chance he wouldn’t and everyone was aware of that. Compare it to the first time they built around him and it’s night and day in terms of anticipation and crowds drawn.

I’m also not sure for their huge new debut show they’d want the card to look like a below average Dynamite either. The first Rampage was built on Kenny Omega world title match and the second Rampage had CM Punk’s return. This card isn’t as impressive on paper as either of them and Rampage is in the toilet now. Where does this show go after this episode and with those low crowds they’ve drawn?

I think it takes a lot of optimism to praise any of the build or potential for this show. They should have learned from Rampage.

5 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

What information did they drip feed about the show that would draw anyone? It wasn’t matches because they seemingly all got announced in one go with no build. 

The idea they built around the return of CM Punk is shaky too. He wasn’t even confirmed until a week or so ago. They built on the idea that they might announce CM Punk is coming back, but there was a good chance he wouldn’t and everyone was aware of that. Compare it to the first time they built around him and it’s night and day in terms of anticipation and crowds drawn.

I’m also not sure for their huge new debut show they’d want the card to look like a below average Dynamite either. The first Rampage was built on Kenny Omega world title match and the second Rampage had CM Punk’s return. This card isn’t as impressive on paper as either of them and Rampage is in the toilet now. Where does this show go after this episode and with those low crowds they’ve drawn?

I think it takes a lot of optimism to praise any of the build or potential for this show. They should have learned from Rampage.

Middle of May announced the show - next week was the announcement of where the 1st show would be: Chicago. Cue mixed reaction Punk chants as everyone knows what that means - next week CM Punk's return announced - next week CM Punk's return match - next week CM Punk return vignette. 

Can't really replicate a 7+ year absence from the wrestling world with a clean slate in the a company he's never been in before.

CM Punk's return this week and who knows what happens as the show hasn't happened yet. Next week is the go home show before Forbidden Door so all AEW & interpromotional talent will be available - 3rd week onwards who knows as I don't have a crystal ball to hand.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Going off the Collision ticket sales they will be taping Dynamite, Rampage and Collision in one night soon.

That assumes everyone appearing on each show is willing to share a building at the same time.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Going off the Collision ticket sales they will be taping Dynamite, Rampage and Collision in one night soon.

You'd need a lot of locker rooms and security to keep all the wrestlers who hate eachother apart. Probably just cheaper to shoot Collision In front of 840 rednecks in Bumfuck Iowa like they have planned. 

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

That assumes everyone appearing on each show is willing to share a building at the same time.

Collision and ROH are taping together. As far as anyone knows Cabana's still working as a producer with ROH. Punk suposedly trying to get Cabana fired is where most of this started, yet it barely rates a mention.