AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

14 hours ago, Doog said:

Wish FTR would just fuck off, a real blight on Collision for me, been enjoying AEW a lot recently but these two marks do my head in. Cash should be prosecuted soon I imagine so they'll dissappear then thankfully.

I'm honestly perplexed as to why some people hate FTR to the level that they do. Does it stem entirely from whatever Dax puts out on his podcast, or is there more to it than that?

From my point-of-view, they're still one of the best tag teams in the industry today. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm honestly perplexed as to why some people hate FTR to the level that they do. Does it stem entirely from whatever Dax puts out on his podcast, or is there more to it than that?

From my point-of-view, they're still one of the best tag teams in the industry today. 

I suspect it's that, tied in with their closeness to Punk. 

They're definitely talented, and generally fun to watch. But yeah, it's weird - Dax's social and the reporting of the podcast stuff made me find him pompous and self-absorbed enough that I just found myself not wanting to watch him. So I have to remind myself that they're good.

23 minutes ago, Chris B said:

They're definitely talented, and generally fun to watch. But yeah, it's weird - Dax's social and the reporting of the podcast stuff made me find him pompous and self-absorbed enough that I just found myself not wanting to watch him. So I have to remind myself that they're good.

I can totally understand that. Something similar happened to me with Chris Jericho, when Talk is Jericho first came out. He came across as such an irritating tool that it was very difficult to appreciate the good work he had done for a long time. 

• Paid Members

I love FTR. Great gimmick and they always have good matches.

Decent show this week. AEW isn't on fire this year but they are definitely very consistent so far which should be commended. Booking consistent shows is hard to do. I like all the storylines going on at the moment, just rock solid simple stuff that makes sense. BCC get overconfident, well now the best tag team in the world want to knock them down a peg. Bryan Danielson refuses to respect Eddie Kingston well let's let them have a fight about it. Mark Briscoe tried helping out his mates and got involved in the House of Black's business so now they are going to fuck him up. Just simple and refreshing proper wrestling storytelling.

Very much enjoying Adam Copeland in AEW. I was never a fan of Edge as a singles main event act but feel like we're seeing a refreshing new side to him here. He's playing the respectful veteran but one who isn't all smiles and handshakes, if you get in his way or step out of line he won't hesitate to kick your arse and put you back down the ladder. His segment with Garcia was great and I'm excited for their match on Wednesday.

Mark Briscoe/Brody King was my favourite match of the show. Both men are fantastic and went to war here. Cool ending angle, I wonder if they'll go for some kind of mixed tag team angle so Mark can get his revenge on Julia Hart. Someone like SHIDA would be a good choice for that. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Very much enjoying Adam Copeland in AEW. I was never a fan of Edge as a singles main event act but feel like we're seeing a refreshing new side to him here. He's playing the respectful veteran but one who isn't all smiles and handshakes, if you get in his way or step out of line he won't hesitate to kick your arse and put you back down the ladder. His segment with Garcia was great and I'm excited for their match on Wednesday.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel too. Was never arsed about Edge but loving his AEW run. It would've been easy for them to bring him in as a smiley 'aw shucks, it's great to be here' babyface but while there is a small element of that, there's enough hints that he can be a nasty bastard who could easily turn heel when the times right.

Agree with @LaGoosh about AEW's consistency this year. Sure, not red-hot TV, but they've built to Revolution (which is going to have a massive, and you'd think pretty hot, crowd) really well and I am desperate for Revolution to get here. It's going to be awesome. Plus then Big Business, where it appears at least that both Mone and Okada are going to show up. I think there is lots to be excited for as an AEW fan at the moment.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

Collision 10/02/24

CMLL vs BCC was a solid tag match but not up to the standard of the previous ones with Hechicero. Esfinge and Star Jr. were OK but not as dazzling as Mascara Dorada or bewitching as Hechicero. 

Loved the FTR BCC brawl. I love how FTR sit in gorilla for the whole show in case someone says something they need to address. If ever someone says they're the best tag team and you as a viewer think "I think FTR might have something to say about that". They will, don't worry. I love FTR. 

Garcia vs Shane Taylor was great. A really mature and composed performance from Garcia. He still took some punishment but he came in with a gameplan, stuck to it, baited in his more experienced opponent and then won with a hold that was the logical conclusion for his strategy. So happy to see the finish, a big step up from the surprise flash pinning combinations he'd been getting. 

Copeland is so good right now. The Cope Open and every promo he's done since it started have been note perfect for me. Garcia sounded good too and he was absolutely correct in what he said. Love this direction. Daniel Garcia is one of the most exciting stories in wrestling for me at the moment. I love that he even said out loud that he might "do the Daniel Garcia thing and not win the big one". Everything about the CC run and follow up has been spot on but I still have the fear every time he wrestles that he'll hit a ceiling and it makes for great drama.

Brody/Mark Briscoe was a war. Crowd was not great for this episode but Briscoe did his best to keep them behind him and fight through the "we want tables" chants. Big angle for Mark Briscoe afterwards, as if he needed to be made any more sympathetic. 

Deonna vs Kiera Hogan was an OK squash. The Venus De Milo really does look horribly painful. Toni Storm vs Queen Aminata was much better. Aminata hasn't had a bad performance on this run yet. I also learned that she speaks six languages and played football growing up. Kevin Kelly still isn't my favourite announcer but I do appreciate his research. The Nigel/Tony/Kelly trio for Collision works for me. Toni doing the promo whilst writihing about on the mat was brilliant. 

Ishii and OC was good fun. Kicked into a higher gear than expected after a slow/comedic build up. I thought the match would be an anusing novelty but it ended up being very good. 

Not a mindblowing episode of Collision, but a perfectly enjoyable watch. 

• Paid Members

The best thing about Edge being in AEW, is you can see he is doing exactly what he always said he wanted to do on his Pod with Christian. Just wrestle people he wants to wrestle and you can see with who he has worked with so far, that AEW is the best place for him right now to do that.

I still think he will have his last ever match in WWE, but what a run he is on currently just going out there and showing out against different people each week. 

It's crazy to think how different Edge and Christian have been and performed in AEW compared to both Hardy Boys, granted, we were deprived of both Edge and Christian for many years so they don't feel over played, but even still, they are putting in performances better than that of people 20 years younger than them after being out for so long.

Long may it continue. 

• Paid Members

So this is happening on Saturday. Yes fucking please. The "wHeReS ThE sToRy" pervs on social media are saying the same old shit but this is actually some pretty genius have your cake and eat it too booking. On the surface it looks like the typical dream match booking AEW does...except Jun Akiyama is Eddie Kingston's hero, so Danielson is no doubt going to do some absolutely despicable shit here to send Kingston into a meltdown ahead of their big PPV rematch. It's gonna' be great!

Must admit my first thought was the same as the "pervs on social media" as you put it as I've never heard of him, but what you've said there about Kingston makes sense. Hopefully they address that before the match and explain it so people like me can get more into it/understand why its happening.

I must admit, I've been a big critic in relation to matches for the sake of matches in AEW and too much happening on their social media channels that if you only watch the TV you just don't see, but they have been a lot better recently. It's still not perfect, let's be honest nothing in life is, but I'm a lot more invested now than I have been for months.

I don't want much more than they're giving, I just want to see more of the 30 second promos on TV rather than just the socials (which they have been doing) and just more of an explanation as to why something is happening. I understand I'm not the intended audience, never watched Japanese wrestling, no nothing about it or the CMLL guys etc, but give me a bit of story and I'm fine with it.

Like I say it's a lot better so this isn't an anti AEW post at all, and like I say what you said makes perfect sense why the match Is happening, so either way I know now, but they need ro hammer it home on TV. They probably will but I'm just saying it as a general point.