Get the F out

garynysmon

• Paid Members

Today marks 21 years since the WWF became WWE.

wwefout.png?w=300&h=193

Biggest downgrade ever or what?! Going from a distinguished sounding federation' to 'we all know its bollocks don't we' entertainment marked a dark day in my house!

The only positive being that due to both UK boom periods happening before the change, it shall forever be known by our parents and commentators of proper sports at any sign of a fight as the WWF.

Not going to lie, 21 years on and WWE still sounds a bit awkward to me.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I’ll never understand the logo, and why it was reduced to essentially just “WW”.

We went on a family holiday to Florida at the start of May 2002. I remember being giddy at being able to watch WWF at the “proper” time. I put RAW on, my mum sees the logo and asks “Is it just ‘WW’ now?” and I was equally dumbfounded.

I remember watching Judgement Day 2002 with the other kids on the street and we were sort of numbed to how stupid everything had become since the WCW buyout anyway. The average age was eleven so we took it in stride and never looked back. In fact for me WWF sounds more like the Captain America bloodsports smut show your parents weirdly tolerated so it goes to show how age is everything. 

But yeah, I remember a vignette where a lady trimmed her bush (was this the mini period where Russo was back?) to chop the 'F' off and then poured gasoline on it and set it on fire. Honestly it just felt like another angle. We'd been through Shawn Stasiak showing up in the garden, the amount of world titles on Raw doubling, then coming together again, then this Hulk Hogan guy my granda used to love being massive again, Austin suddenly being a mid-card comedy heel...2002 was fucking numbing. One of the best years ever. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I remember a weird time between the WCW buyout and the F getting out when my Sky Planner and channel guide had all their programmingiates as WWFE. They were called World Wrestling Federation Entertainment for a little bit weren't they? 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’ll never understand the logo, and why it was reduced to essentially just “WW”.

We went on a family holiday to Florida at the start of May 2002. I remember being giddy at being able to watch WWF at the “proper” time. I put RAW on, my mum sees the logo and asks “Is it just ‘WW’ now?” and I was equally dumbfounded.

Same here. Would it really have been too much effort to add a line to the F to turn it into an E?

Appropriately enough, Bad Bunny was wearing a WWF jacket on SmackDown that they were censoring in all the post-match clips. I thought that they had reached an agreement with the wildlife fund to use their old logo? There have been several instances lately of the old logo, both bar and scratch, being censored again and I wasn’t sure why. 

No one likes change. Including me. WWF was a better name, it sounded better and nowadays it brings back memories of better times in the company. I still call Starburst Opal Fruits as well, but I'm not old enough to be a Marathon over Snickers man.

• Paid Members

I think it happening in 2002 was a sign of things to come. The wheels had started coming off in 2001 but by 2002 it felt very much like "ok chaps we gave you 4 good years but times up, WWF is gone and it's time for Ruthless Aggression...you're going to fucking hate it".

Correlation doesn’t equal causation and all that, but the start of the creative decline more or less coincided with the change. So it’s always felt, to me, that the name change was at least partially responsible for the product becoming less engaging. And as @LEGIT says, WWF just sounds better. I’m still in agreement with a sign in the crowd a week or two afterwards that read “Get the ‘F’ in”. 

48 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Appropriately enough, Bad Bunny was wearing a WWF jacket on SmackDown that they were censoring in all the post-match clips. I thought that they had reached an agreement with the wildlife fund to use their old logo? There have been several instances lately of the old logo, both bar and scratch, being censored again and I wasn’t sure why. 

Didn't the deal only cover legacy usage (e.g. airing old events on the network) and anything deemed to be "new" was still restricted?  Would explain why they'd censor the jacket here, but not sure how consistent they've been with it. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I remember a weird time between the WCW buyout and the F getting out when my Sky Planner and channel guide had all their programmingiates as WWFE. They were called World Wrestling Federation Entertainment for a little bit weren't they? 

World Wrestling Federation Entertainment Inc was the "proper" name of the company from '99 onwards, the name being changed from Titan Sports Inc a little before the IPO on the stock exchange, presumably for recognition purposes there.

I definitely recall a few weeks of crossover on the EPG, yeah. Although I don't think they ever said/displayed WWFE on the programming itself.