Get the F out

garynysmon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I think it happening in 2002 was a sign of things to come. The wheels had started coming off in 2001 but by 2002 it felt very much like "ok chaps we gave you 4 good years but times up, WWF is gone and it's time for Ruthless Aggression...you're going to fucking hate it".

Off topic but imo 2002 was amazing once you got clear of judgement day and Hogan got put in a suitable spot.

It had it's lows, like Katie vic and the start of HHh reign of terror, but every year does. It was the only time the brand split felt meaningful with a different feel and style behind each show and some belting PPVs in SummerSlam, survivor series, no mercy and if I'm remembering 02 & 03 right vengeance too.

It was different and wasn't a patch on 2000 but give me kotr to mania 19 over the output in 1999 or 01 post mania TBH even if the numbers say I'm in the minority.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think it happening in 2002 was a sign of things to come. The wheels had started coming off in 2001 but by 2002 it felt very much like "ok chaps we gave you 4 good years but times up, WWF is gone and it's time for Ruthless Aggression...you're going to fucking hate it".

Definately a fellow member of the “Ruthless aggression was a massive downgrade” club.

It just shocks me that its now 21 years since the WWF was must see tv for me.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

It was the only time the brand split felt meaningful with a different feel and style behind each show and some belting PPVs in SummerSlam, survivor series, no mercy and if I'm remembering 02 & 03 right vengeance too.

You are. Vengeance 2002 was a near perfect mix of great matches, big developments and satisfying results. I was shocked how good it was after a few fairly beige months.

I remember this happening and debating what they should have called it instead. My thoughts were either just WF (Wrestling Federation) or WWS (because it sounds like F) and called World Wrestling Sports. Although it looks more like some code for people into watersports in retrospect. Fancy some WWS fun?

Anyone have any other suggestions? 

Dispite the 'downturn', SummerSlam 2002 is a belter. Rock vs Brock, Angle vs Mysterio, Flair vs Jericho, RVD vs Benoit, Michaels vs Triple H in a Street Fight, Edge vs Eddie Guerrero, Booker T and Goldust vs Christian and Lance Storm, Undertaker was... there.

WWE just doesn't roll off the tongue and sounds weird. The F added a nice full stop on it (I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone bar me)

To be honest I don't actually refer to it as WWE. I just refer to other promotions with their name. I don't think WWE has ever entered the public consciousness. Most people just refer to it as wrestling

9 minutes ago, Factotum said:

I don't think WWE has ever entered the public consciousness. Most people just refer to it as wrestling

Nah that's only true to old gits like us.

There is a whole generation that only know it as WWE and refer to it as such.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
On 5/6/2023 at 11:04 AM, Tommy! said:

Off topic but imo 2002 was amazing once you got clear of judgement day and Hogan got put in a suitable spot.

It had it's lows, like Katie vic and the start of HHh reign of terror, but every year does. It was the only time the brand split felt meaningful with a different feel and style behind each show and some belting PPVs in SummerSlam, survivor series, no mercy and if I'm remembering 02 & 03 right vengeance too.

It was different and wasn't a patch on 2000 but give me kotr to mania 19 over the output in 1999 or 01 post mania TBH even if the numbers say I'm in the minority.

That's fair. I can't say I remember too well the difference between 2002, 2003 and 2004. I remember Smackdown being good for a time but with Raw once we were into the GROOVE TO THE MUSIC PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC era I remember the downgrade in quality being pretty massive. Bland meathead wrestlers and really fucking nasty grim stories all over the shows.