AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

1 minute ago, Infinity Land said:

Not wrestling, but the most famous recent example of claimed attendances being a work of fiction was the Qatar World Cup. There were a number of figures that exceeded capacity by thousands.

As quipped on Twitter, those figures included the dead slave labourers buried in the concrete foundations. 

• Paid Members

The thing is that if they're claiming to have sold 70,000 and thenat the show  everybody is all jammed up in one corner like at those old baseball stadium shows in the 70s it'll be painfully obvious that they're fudging the numbers. The only other thing that'd expose this is if there was some kind of "security hazard" and they had to relocate to another venue like the O2, Wembley Arena or Craven Cottage a la Mania 7.

They could probably get away with the place being 2/3 full by sitting everybody on the side facing the hard camera and using very specific camera angles to shoot from ringside. It'd be tricky to pull off in outdoors in August, but short of sticking cardboard cut outs in the stands like they did at some football grounds during the pandemic I don't know how else they'd do it.

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'm pretty sure that New Japan are also known to inflate their numbers, especially for Tokyo Dome shows. 

I've seen "official attendance" of 1000 in buildings that hold 400 by Japanese promotions.

• Paid Members

Whatever the actual number is we will never know, but what we can agree on is that it was big enough to get Roman on a plane to Money In The Bank. All the Roman Reigns fans going to MITB should buy Tony Khan a few lines of Chang as you weren't getting to see him without AEW running Wembley. 

40 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The thing is that if they're claiming to have sold 70,000 and thenat the show  everybody is all jammed up in one corner like at those old baseball stadium shows in the 70s it'll be painfully obvious that they're fudging the numbers.

Now that there's a general sale and a proper site map, it's not really one person's word on how many tickets have been distributed. Which of course doesn't mean they've all gone to people paying to go to the show: scalpers, sponsors/commercial partners and the like. They did stagger the sale, but opened up the entire stadium after a while yesterday. If things turn out to be patchy the telltale signs will be hearing about people being moved to different seats.

Edited by Infinity Land

Even if they “Only” get about 60-70k, it’s going to be the biggest show over here since Summerslam and will be remembered and revered for as long. It’s going to be part of UK wrestling history. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Even if they “Only” get about 60-70k, it’s going to be the biggest show over here since Summerslam and will be remembered and revered for as long. It’s going to be part of UK wrestling history. 

It’ll be up there with the accidental nestea plunge bump I took off the apron while MCing in Y Canolfan in Porthmadog.

16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

*laughs in "Today's attendance at the Emirates"* 

I remember at the racecourse on a wet Tuesday night losing against Maidenhead 2 nil or something before the take over it’s be fucking dead. 2k maximum

it was always announced at 4k minimum. We reckoned they just count the season tickets and corporate there or not

9 minutes ago, Butch2000 said:

I remember at the racecourse on a wet Tuesday night losing against Maidenhead 2 nil or something before the take over it’s be fucking dead. 2k maximum

it was always announced at 4k minimum. We reckoned they just count the season tickets and corporate there or not

Yeah they do, Spurs do the same with season tickets. I assume its just easier.

@Keith Houchen The whole people wanting the All In tickets sales to fail come from WWE uber fans (I'd use the word Stan but I got told off for it on here once) who trying to claim the numbers aren't real.

The Coppinger tweet was just spectacularly erroneous and disproved within 2 days and yet he hasn't said "yeah, got that wrong" despite correcting errors in tweets about locations of future boxing fights in the last 48 hrs. So why not correct himself in the All In seating plan tweet. Coincidence that he was CAA client, Nick Khans old place of work obviously. Like it was a coincidence that Coppinger named Nick as the third most influential man in boxing. 

Journalists are always going to be biased. But there's a difference between saying "I think WWE is better than AEW" and blatantly lying on twitter about AEW only planning for 40,000 and not going "oops" when proved wrong.