AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

9 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Was the Golden Elite match that good ? I can barely remember anything from it outside the finish. I wouldn't have put it anywhere near on par with the main event.

I realise I am trying to figure out Meltzer rating logic atm. 

I'm going to assume Meltzer's knowledge of everybody's history in Japan will add to his experience. As spots or sequences will be seen as callbacks or counters.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I realise I am trying to figure out Meltzer rating logic atm. 

It's not worth it. Really. The only value to Dave's ratings (or anyone's) is to develop a really loose idea as to whether or not you have similar tastes, and use his ratings (again, loosely) for matches you haven't seen, to determine "OK, Meltzer said this was good, maybe I'll check it out" or "Meltzer gave this 5 or nearly 5 so its probably unmissable." Wrestling's so subjective, it's a bit pointless trying to unravel someone else's scoring systems.

Comparing opinions with matches you HAVE seen, is even more pointless. What Dave thinks compared to your own opinion is irrelevant. The only opinion that should matter to you, is yours.

3 hours ago, Healy52003 said:

Be interesting to see if Tony moves the production around for next year 

Yeah that was my first impression; I know most seem to praise the entrance and stage set. But TBH I felt it a bit underwhelming and it did get lost in the big outdoor stadium, like it was scaled down too small.

7 minutes ago, TobyK said:

Yeah that was my first impression; I know most seem to praise the entrance and stage set. But TBH I felt it a bit underwhelming and it did get lost in the big outdoor stadium, like it was scaled down too small.

it did look good but I agree it got lost in the stadium. Worth it for them because it enabled them to get more seats available. I imagine they will set up the same to be honest.

• Paid Members

Belated report from the rafters. I was in the second to last row, opposite the entrance. You could see the whole ring but everything was so tiny your eyes were drawn to the screen. I was also too high to see any of the fireworks shooting off the roof haha.

The biggest arena I’ve been to for anything was 20k in the 02, so Wembley Stadium was pretty incredible to me. A few times I had to cover my ears due to the volume from the crowd.

The only real drawback were the steep stairs. I only walked down them twice and I was slower than your granddad. After the pre-show I literally got another drink then sat back in my seat from 6-9, specifically to avoid climbing down them again.

Perhaps I’m a sensitive soul because some people were jogging down them, little kids jumping about etc. Special shout out to the people walking up and down with a tray of four beers or the Mums with multiple baskets of chicken in both hands. Fuck that!

IMG_20230827_175822.thumb.jpg.cd447436d878f3ebcabb3e5e07471a8b.jpg

I really enjoyed the show, no bad matches. I would love to have seen Grado and Jarrett but completely missed them, when did Zero Hour become two? Was annoyed when I found about it after the show.

- Punk vs Joe was good. Was fun seeing Punk's crowd reaction alter throughout the match. Was nice to see the pro-Trans sign moment afterwards too. It got a big cheer and was a nice contrast from the nutters I see on Twitter. It's good to know most people in the real world are supportive/ indifferent.

With tonight’s news, do you think we witnessed Punks last match for a few years? Possibly ever?

- Kenny Omega was one of the people I really wanted to see live and was happy to see him. It was a solid but pretty unmemorable match honestly. Don got HUGE boos when he was on screen.

- The Tag title match sucked me in as it went on. The biggest in-ring reaction in my section was from the last near fall. Everyone went batshit! Excellent stuff.

- I figured Stadium Stampede would be an awesome view from the nosebleed seats, I was wrong. Primarily because they didn’t use spotlights on anyone (I guess it was too bright outside?). Unless it was in the ring or on the screen we didn’t see it. For chunks of it our section was near silent, it was weird.

The over-use of barbed wire, glass and introduction of skewers to the head made me wince, but that horse bolted long ago. Are BCC heels? Who knows, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. I loved seeing Eddie. Great finish.

- The other person I really wanted to see was Hayter and specifically the big reaction to her winning, so this women’s match was always going to be a bitter pill to swallow. Saraya’s mum getting smacked made it more interesting, but I couldn’t really give a shit about the result. Her win got a huge reaction from my lot, multiple grown men standing in their seats clapping, the blind patriotism was mortifying. Felt very hollow to me, Get well soon Jamie!

I did see Saraya say at the press conference that she was hoping to have more singles matches now, which is good seeing as she’s the fucking champion of the whole division!

- I thought the coffin match was a near miracle. I was just chuffed to see Sting but it was a really great match with some fun spots. Sting not breaking the table with a splash then just getting back up and chucking himself arse first was hilarious.

Felt bad for Nick Wayne, that vignette of him being near killed at the wrestling school was absolutely vicious, but he was carried away by Luchasaurus like a naughty kid. Not even allowed to celebrate with Sting & Darby at the end.

- I want it on record that I did NOT sing along to Jericho's theme, I sat arms folded while everyone else had fun. I'm not a fan of either guy but it was a decent match. I'll also praise whoever told Jericho to only go a few minutes with his performance. I genuinely thought it was going to be a 15 minute mini concert. When he started doing the Freddie Mercury repeat stuff my heart sank, but it was over quick.

I am one of those heathens that left during the 6 man and completely missed the main event. I'm an anxious casual and I really wanted to avoid the crowds and especially the dreaded night bus. So I was really chuffed my tube connection was closed due to a 'fire alert' and had to scramble around and eventually get the fucking bus!

Overall it was an excellent experience. Great show and will hopefully be there next year. If you’re on a budget or a casual then cheap seats are a decent purchase but I think to avoid potential Vertigo and better view of the entrance and fireworks I'll go for tickets lower in the stadium next time.

The good thing about it being a year away is it’s easy to save for, £90 tickets aren’t so mental if you have to put £7.50 a month in your AEW piggy bank. I'll be closer to an exit too so it’s easy to watch the whole show and be near to the bogs, over-priced beer and baskets of chicken. Ooh I’ll be King for a day and hopefully too tipsy to care about facing the night bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the confirmed turnstile count on the day was 72,265 rather than the 81,035 AEW quoted as paid attendance. So assuming 10,000 people just didn't bother to show up or resell their tickets, Tony bumped the numbers. 

Which is pro wrestling all over, I couldn't care less, but Will Ospreay got the number tattooed! 

Oof. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

Obviously doesn't account for a missing 10,000 people, but I wonder how many people had travel booked for the Saturday and cancelled because of the train strikes - I know people who rebooked a hotel and transport to come down a day earlier, but obviously not everyone could have managed that. 

Sean Ross Sapp has also said that VIPs didn't necessarily come through the turnstiles - as he didn't - so there's still a possibility that the actual number is somewhere between the turnstile figure and the 81k.

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

So assuming 10,000 people just didn't bother to show up or resell their tickets, Tony bumped the numbers. 

Doesn't really need to. Both numbers can be true.

Corporate/Sponsors getting an allocation but not using the full amount.

Those types don't always get in the same way to be counted.

Scalpers unable to shift tickets.

Those that can no longer attend.

Those that buy a different set of tickets for a better view but can't resell the previous purchase.

It all adds up in the end. On the forum alone I think there were a few examples of people buying new tickets or not being able to make it.

Edited by Infinity Land