AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Yeah the Penta Oscuro thing like all spooky stuff in wrestling is absolutely rubbish and got a complete non-reaction. He just needs to take that top off and keep it off and he's basically a main eventer immediately. 

Something I noticed during the show was that I couldn't hear any of the chops from where I was sitting except for Chris Jericho's. Sounded clear as anything, he must really lay them in.

Love this man:

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

The Bucks are very similar to Cody for me in that their on-screen persona came across as cocky and unlikeable for so long, that you genuinely feel like that's what they're like in real life. Once you peek behind the curtain, you see that they are actually very likeable. The turning point for Cody with me was on an episode of Edge and Christians podcast and he came across as such a nice bloke and it feels like that's the very same for The Young Bucks. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The Bucks are very similar to Cody for me in that their on-screen persona came across as cocky and unlikeable for so long, that you genuinely feel like that's what they're like in real life. Once you peek behind the curtain, you see that they are actually very likeable. The turning point for Cody with me was on an episode of Edge and Christians podcast and he came across as such a nice bloke and it feels like that's the very same for The Young Bucks. 

Yeah the Bucks in every podcast I've heard them do come across as incredibly nice blokes. They recently did Swerve's podcast and it's worth a listen. Before this Punk nonsense started I don't think there's any record of anyone ever saying anything bad about them (as people, obviously loads of people talk shit about their ring style). One lovely thing in particular they've said is that they want their legacy to be two guys who played a part in getting a lot of other wrestlers jobs rather than anything they've done in the ring.

Edited by LaGoosh

9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah the Bucks in every podcast I've heard them do come across as incredibly nice blokes. They recently did Swerve's podcast and it's worth a listen. Before this Punk nonsense started I don't think there's any record of anyone ever saying anything bad about them (as people, obviously loads of people talk shit about their ring style). One lovely thing in particular they've said is that they want their legacy to be two guys who played a part in getting a lot of other wrestlers jobs rather than anything they've done in the ring.

The Young Bucks are a live crowd act that fought their way to telly. Everything they do is designed to pop a live crowd, not necessarily stand up to Jim Cornette style breakdowns of the business.

That said, they’ve grown over the past 5 years into the sort of act that can have phenomenal TV matches too.

Some of my favourite matches ever, unashamedly, are Bucks matches. They’re brilliant. And I’m someone who’s usually pretty scathing about - 2003 term - ‘spot monkeys’.

I genuinely got lost in a pro wrestling reverie during that match with FTR at the weekend. Absolutely brilliant.

• Paid Members

Give this man as much money as he asks for next year, Tony:

He's the best. Him shaking the ropes after a KANGEROO KICK and 81,000 people going absolutely bananas for it is proof that this man is your Guy. Build everything around him for the next 3 years.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, simonworden said:

Missed quite a few pages on the thread and still watching through the event. Did anyone else watch Kip Sabian try to use the famous Summerslam 92 quote about the bulldog twice during Zero Hour to absolutely no reaction from his cohosts? 

I was fine with the fact it got no reaction, it just made it a nice little Easter egg nod to the past. If everyone had acknowledged it and guffawed and done the Captain America "I understood that reference" bit it would have made it super cheesy IMO.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Kip as he's a Norfolk boy, but I thought he did very well on the pre-show panel, and interacted well with Wight. Suffolk scumbag Anthony Ogogo not so much, but he was passable I guess.

My highlight of the pre-show panel was Wight telling Renee not to push Ogogo to make a match pick because "he's new in the company". Pretty much a day 1 signee, IIRC. Guess he's been gone long enough to be completely forgotten even by his co-workers.

• Paid Members

A bit late to the party here but just want to echo what everyone else has said about the show. It really was an amazing day from start to finish.

I think I loved every match as well to be honest. I’m a bit behind on Dynamite so haven’t seen any of the MJF / Adam Cole stuff but their story telling was so good I didn’t need to. I’ve always been a bit cold on Adam Cole but loved both him and MJF by the end of the night

Mox walked out just in front of us and he looked the coolest motherfucker on the planet. Absolutely loved the skewer spot and the noise the crowd made when that happened will stay with me forever. The whole match was a thrill.

So glad I saw Sting live and what a legend he is! Im over the moon that TK got the cheque book out for Seek and Destroy as it was absolutely perfect for them.

So yeah, amazing show and maybe next time we try a Keffer meet up!

20F5467C-1664-4B67-8AA6-A6B7059B7D42.thumb.jpeg.a7fdd3139e225e599a8a250ef71adbca.jpeg

• Paid Members

Some bonus thoughts after watching the TV version.

Big Show’s legs have completely gone, haven’t they? Seeing Tall Paul limping about like Lieutenant Dan was really sad to see.

Fair play to CM Punk. He read the room and gave the people what they wanted, which was him getting smashed to fuck for about 90% of the match. Fantastic John Cena-style atmosphere. Even more impressive to put on such a great performance considering he was having a real scrap only seconds earlier. If this is the end, it’s a big enough stage and a good enough performance that you could be happy walking away. Well, unless you were a broken man who can seemingly never be happy.

Seeing how Sting was presented here, compared with his Wrestlemania appearance, is - literally - night and day. The phenomenal skit beforehand with the British accent, the lights going out, fucking Metallica blasting away, winning to a huge ovation, he looked and was treated as the absolute top bollocks. Contrast that with him walking out to that bullshit music at Wrestlemania - in daylight - with that nonsensical Japanese drumming stuff, to lose to Triple H, existing as a backdrop to the DX vs. nWo stuff, all whilst Michael Cole and JBL spent the match passive aggressively slagging him off. Say what you went about Tony Khan but he fucking gets it when it comes to stuff like this. Eight years since that Mania match, and Sting looked infinitely younger here than he did trying to wrestle Hunter’s boring, plodding style of match.

Jericho nailed it. Sure, ego the size of the moon, but sometimes that’s exactly what this business needs.

Stadium Stampede ruled just as much. Eddie Kingston and Jon Moxley are the MVPs of this company. Also, remember when everyone used to say Orange Cassidy wouldn’t work in the mainstream? LOL 81,000.

Phenomenal pacing all night long. The time flew by and never felt bogged down or dragging.

Main event didn’t quite hold up on TV, as the last few minutes descended into Bloodline-esque SHOUTING YOUR FEELINGS. It worked much better live when you couldn’t hear them talking and only had the body language, but still a phenomenal rollercoaster of a match. Equal parts drama, thriller, even comedy. Canadian Destroyer to the referee was amazing. MJF is the best.

Ultimately, it was the best Wrestlemania in years. A home run when it comes to the scale, spectacle, top tier production values, special entrances, licensed music, and at least seven million quid spent on fireworks alone. All concluding with a satisfying, happy ending. Not a single sense of trolling or ripping you off. No-one seeking unnecessary HEAT. Just a fucking belter of a show. Good times and good vibes. Honestly, the buzz surrounding this, how much they delivered, and the general feeling of ecstasy as everyone left the stadium? Genuinely wouldn’t be shocked if they break the record again next year!

14 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Just got fully caught up on the thread now and didn't see this mentioned yet. Were we supposed to know what that Penta return bit was about? I'm a semi-casual AEW viewer, I'm used to some stuff going over my head. That seemed like it went over everyone's heads though. No one around me reacted at all. It was a weird miss when nearly everything else on the show went over so well.

When this happened somebody near shouted '"Its Wolfpac Penta!"

Popped me big time because that's what he actually looked like.

I forgot one thing I meant to mention. Prior to Zero Hour, Tony Schiavone was in the ring, and we got a big OOOOOO TONY SCHIAVONE chant, which I thought was awesome. If you're him, the way he was done with wrestling, having to work in Starbucks to make ends meet, and his reputation amongst wrestling fans not being great, having a stadium full of wrestling fans chanting your name has to feel good.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Main event didn’t quite hold up on TV, as the last few minutes descended into Bloodline-esque SHOUTING YOUR FEELINGS. It worked much better live when you couldn’t hear them talking and only had the body language, but still a phenomenal rollercoaster of a match. Equal parts drama, thriller, even comedy. Canadian Destroyer to the referee was amazing. MJF is the best.

To nitpick a bit as well, there were tonnes of plot holes in this movie. I still had a great time watching, but Cole at one point was perfectly happy to get a count out victory, then later in the match was desperate for that not to happen. He asked for 5 more minutes to set up MJF's response, but you'd only ask for 5 more minutes after a time limit draw, not a double pin, so that was awkward. Then he tried his best to get MJF disqualified with the chair business, which makes no sense for someone who wants to win the title. Good fun, but could have definitely done with a second draft.