CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah I think going to WWE after telling Miz to suck a Saudi blood money stained dick will be probably the ultimate example of selling out. Hard to walk back from that one.

"I was just working, giving us a beef for the marks to buy into, in case we ever had chance to work with each other again. Brother."

• Paid Members

If he goes back to WWE, he's not giving up the massive ego trip and the % of massive merch sales, at least initially, that would come with the big babyface rebel return. If he was game, he could always lean into the sell-out thing later, saying it was all an act etc, but there's no way he'd be presented as anything but a massive face if he came back. It wouldn't make business sense to do otherwise, and WWE are very much a "business-first" company these days. 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Really, the biggest shame in all of this is that Punk doesn't seem self-aware or open to criticism enough to lean into it. If he goes back to WWE, it will almost certainly be as the "Voice of the Voiceless" pretending to be a put-upon underdog everyman again, when playing the corporate sell-out who came back for the big money, the underground act who signed with a major label and changed his sound, is probably the best thing Punk could possibly do right now. His anti-Hardcore Cactus Jack run.

“The CM stands for Company Man” 

• Paid Members

Does CM Punk go on about being a "voice of the voiceless" outside of his wrestling character? I only ever see this being brought up here. Surely no one expects a wrestler to live up to their on screen gimmick? Feels like criticising Hulk Hogan because he doesn't actually take vitamins. I feel like there are bigger problems regarding Punk, so its a bit baffling to see this come up again and again. 

Edited by gmoney

4 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Does CM Punk go on about being a "voice of the voiceless" outside of his wrestling character? I only ever see this being brought up here. Surely no one expects a wrestler to live up to their on screen gimmick? Feels like criticising Hulk Hogan because he doesn't actually take vitamins. I feel like there are bigger problems regarding Punk, so its a bit baffling to see this come up again and again. 

I completely agree with this and I too think it's a bit weird. 

If he was truly PUNX4LIFE or whatever, he would surely be in some shitty little indie fed still and never have gone to the big leagues.

It's all a bit "Haha, you are part of a society but have an iPhone" type stuff. 

I'd love to see him back in WWE. I like watching him when he's on screen and can easily choose to ignore all the other rubbish that comes with him sometimes, which is why when I see people say "Ugh the discourse around him will be unbearable" it baffles me. Ignore it! Don't read it! It's really easy.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, mim731 said:

If he goes back to WWE, he's not giving up the massive ego trip and the % of massive merch sales, at least initially, that would come with the big babyface rebel return.

I think if you're a big CM Punk fan, you're going to buy his t-shirt either way. You probably LOVE supporting the guy and buying his merch despite him being a heel, probably more so, because it's edgy, so is he, so are you.

44 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Feels like criticising Hulk Hogan because he doesn't actually take vitamins.

Define "vitamins," brother.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Its not always that people want Punk to live up to the gimmick in real life, but for the character to live up to it. The two get confused because they overlap, particularly in Punk’s case.

It does detract from Punk’s on-screen gimmick if he goes back to the company after building a character around opposition to the company. That’s not the end of the world, but it is true.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Pinc said:

That’s not the end of the world, 

it’s the Best In The World!

Which would be a great nickname if it had been given to him by someone other than himself.

3 hours ago, Pinc said:

Its not always that people want Punk to live up to the gimmick in real life, but for the character to live up to it. The two get confused because they overlap, particularly in Punk’s case.

CM Punk returning to the WWE on a part time contract and headlining wrestlemania can be his version of the Pistols reforming for a series of huge gigs with huge paydays, they made the focus of the reformation the fact that they'd done it for the money, it's the most punk rock thing he could do, take the money of the system that didn't want him, rinse them for all they've got and laugh about it, he's living the gimmick doing what the real punks did.

Or something like that.

8 hours ago, gmoney said:

Does CM Punk go on about being a "voice of the voiceless" outside of his wrestling character?

Not really.

In "real life," he's just one of those smug pricks you see hanging around at comic cons talking to the event organisers and pretending he's friends with the celebrity guests or yucking it up at straight edge gigs, letting everyone know he's "in" with the band.

He's the voice of wankers everywhere, really.