Merzbow Posted September 24, 2024 Posted September 24, 2024 His name is Farage, worthy of bullying him just for that. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 24, 2024 Members Posted September 24, 2024 Kier Starmer calling the hostages from October 7th "sausages" Quote
Merzbow Posted September 28, 2024 Posted September 28, 2024 Duffield is gone, can't say I liked her in the slightest but you know Starmer is fucked when even dickheads like her think you're cruel. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted September 28, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 28, 2024 12 minutes ago, Merzbow said: Duffield is gone, can't say I liked her in the slightest but you know Starmer is fucked when even dickheads like her think you're cruel. Transphobic twat won’t be missed tbh. Quote
Chili Posted September 28, 2024 Posted September 28, 2024 (edited) 15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: Transphobic twat won’t be missed tbh. She definitely is, but she's also absolutely correct in her criticism of the reasons she is leaving the party. It's possible to be both a horrible transphobe and make very good points about the negative aspects of the current party. Edited September 28, 2024 by Chili Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted September 28, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 28, 2024 1 hour ago, Chili said: She definitely is, but she's also absolutely correct in her criticism of the reasons she is leaving the party. It's possible to be both a horrible transphobe and make very good points about the negative aspects of the current party. Careful. I don’t want anyone to think that my view is anything Labour does is fine but if the Tories does it it’s bad. We need to have these debates. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 Can someone explain to me this farmer inheritance tax? I’ve tried reading the BBC’s explanation of it but I’m not sure I quite understand it properly. It’s hard to see past the likes of Jeremy Clarkson and Nigel Farage out there moaning to see whether it’s an actual helpful thing or not because instinctively by their inclusion I fully support Labour’s decision. Quote
theringmaster Posted November 19, 2024 Posted November 19, 2024 Just now, FLips said: Can someone explain to me this farmer inheritance tax? I’ve tried reading the BBC’s explanation of it but I’m not sure I quite understand it properly. It’s hard to see past the likes of Jeremy Clarkson and Nigel Farage out there moaning to see whether it’s an actual helpful thing or not because instinctively by their inclusion I fully support Labour’s decision. Long and short of it, farm land got exempt from inheritance tax, so people like Clarkson (and countless other Millionaires) would buy farm land. New proposal says if you have over £3 Million in assets you will have to pay 20% tax after death (as opposed to the normal 40% that non farmers have to pay). In estimate it will effect 13% of land owners. So naturally there is uproar because this is something from the budget which actually will effect the rich. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 (edited) On top of that, they know they can make it an emotive issue because most people in this country don't really know what farming entails. They know that they can come down to London in tractors and barbour jackets and make people think that they're all hard-working sons of the soil, and that without them nobody gets to eat, when in reality they're the capitalist land-owners who pay the people who actually do the work, and should be treated as the combination of landlord, industrialist and robber baron that they really are. Edited November 19, 2024 by BomberPat Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 (edited) The most reasonable counter-argument I've seen to the IHT reforms has been that the billionaire/millionaire landowners will pass on the cost to their tenant farmers, who constitute the vast majority of farmers (at least, that was what the commenter in question said - I would have to check it myself). If that's the case, Labour need to get moving to introduce legislation preventing that from happening. EDIT: I mean, ideally, the best thing to do would be for the government to put together a national farmland body that would become said tenant farmers' landlord, but that would be too good for ordinary people and not in the super-rich's interests, so won't happen. Edited November 19, 2024 by Carbomb Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 1 hour ago, theringmaster said: New proposal says if you have over £3 Million in assets you will have to pay 20% tax after death (as opposed to the normal 40% that non farmers have to pay) Isn't it 1 million rather than 3? Plus they get the 335k that non farmers get on top, so it's effectively 1.35 million. Then if the farmer is married his wife or husband gets the same as well so it's effectively 2.7 million. Then they get 10 years to pay it instead of immediately like everyone else. Definitely seems very unfair. If only the majority of them hadn't voted for Brexit. They'd still be high on the sweet sweet EU subsidies. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 3 hours ago, theringmaster said: Long and short of it, farm land got exempt from inheritance tax, so people like Clarkson (and countless other Millionaires) would buy farm land. By far my favourite part of all this was a certain J. Clarkson giving the scam scheme such prominence that it nigh on dared a government to do something about it. Quote That’s actually quite funny because the real reason I bought the farm was because I wanted to shoot, so I thought if I told a bunch of people that I bought a farm so I could shoot pheasants it might look bad. So, I thought I better come up with another excuse, so I said inheritance tax. I actually didn’t know about inheritance tax until after I bought it. I didn’t mind, obviously, but the real reason I bought it is because I wanted to shoot. Chinny reckon. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 James Dyson has been buying up loads of farm land around here and I think pretty much everywhere to try and avoid inheritance tax. My friend Charlie and his family have owned their farm since about 1640. Their opinion is that if you can't afford the inheritance tax you aren't very good farmers. They've got about 1000 acres so they will definitely have to pay it. Dyson's representatives tried to buy their farm a few years ago. According to Charlie his dad's exact response was "Tell the shit hoover man to fuck off" Seems fair. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted November 19, 2024 Posted November 19, 2024 42 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: James Dyson has been buying up loads of farm land around here and I think pretty much everywhere to try and avoid inheritance tax. My friend Charlie and his family have owned their farm since about 1640. Their opinion is that if you can't afford the inheritance tax you aren't very good farmers. They've got about 1000 acres so they will definitely have to pay it. Dyson's representatives tried to buy their farm a few years ago. According to Charlie his dad's exact response was "Tell the shit hoover man to fuck off" Seems fair. I have an idea for the British remake of Yellowstone….. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.