AEW Revolution 2023 discussion thread

LaGoosh

Just now, The King of Old School said:

Hopefully Punk does come back, feels like a big feud for MJF through the Spring/Summer, not sure who else you would throw at him at the minute.

I don't want to derail this thread into another CM Punk thread but if he comes back and doesn't do anything with The Elite, that will be such a shame.

• Paid Members

Time seems to heal all when it comes to CM Punk, he was the target of everyone's vitriol following Brawl Out, now everyone seems to be clamouring for his return. IF he does come back, Jericho will look like a right mug following his 'never in my locker room' speech. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Time seems to heal all when it comes to CM Punk, he was the target of everyone's vitriol following Brawl Out, now everyone seems to be clamouring for his return. IF he does come back, Jericho will look like a right mug following his 'never in my locker room' speech. 

I disagree. Time heels and business is business. Jericho is smart enough to say that when the embers are still burning and 180 on it when all parties have calmed down

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I disagree. Time heels and business is business. Jericho is smart enough to say that when the embers are still burning and 180 on it when all parties have calmed down

I don't get what you are disagreeing with? Your post pretty much agrees with what I said, other than Jericho looking a mug, which he still will. It doesn't take much to be fair with Jericho, but the way he was giving it the big 'un for Punk to stroll back into the main title picture a few months later is hilarious (IF thats what happens).

• Paid Members

Four really great matches, the rest was forgettable, which is pretty decent for a PPV.

Christian vs Jungle Boy was really good, especially as I'm not sure if Christian even took any bumps in it. Thinking this might be it for him. He was a top notch heel in this.

Brody King came across as an absolute star. What a beast.

The ending of Hangman/Mox was absolutely tremendous.

Iron Man was brilliant and didn't drag at all. I was engrossed throughout. Danielson is the best of all time bell to bell, probably. Probably rank it just below HHH/Rock and WAY above HBK/Bret.

After a lacklustre few weeks of TV and some really poor buildup, this was a PPV I enjoyed a LOT, and not necessarily the bits I expected to.

It helped having a very hot crowd - the first 3 matches were great mainly because the crowd were incredibly up for everything.  Ricky Starks and Jungle Boy are both shaping up to be really great blue-eyed classic good guys.  And the trios match was excellent fun with HoB going over looking strong, and making Brody look like a million bucks (no pun intended).  Got me interested in the rematch!

The women's match was better than I expected mainly due to Hayter putting in a proper shift, working her arse off and moving around the others' mistimed offence to sell the whole thing.  Saraya's best outing, she took a couple of bumps I'm fairly sure someone with neck injuries shouldn't take.  Joe v Wardlow suffered because of its position on the card (as did the women's match) but was a well-thought through big man match and feeds the Big Boi division nicely.

Tag match was great as well, all these teams click well together.  

Sooo... I really didn't like the Deathmatch.  It was everything I don't like about Moxley and this AEW style in one match.  Blood has a place in wrestling (see the main event) but if every match you as a performer take part in is a bloodbath from the first minute, it means... nothing.  And it meant nothing here because when ISN'T Moxley pissing blood from his face?  There was very little story here, it was a procession of pre-planned hardcore spots and violence that I personally struggled to watch because (and I know this is just me) I really find the amount of bleeding uncomfortable.   I've mentioned the trading punches elsewhere on the forum, but there were just so many spots that didn't make sense besides being a spot.  How many times was Hangman being put in a bloody submission and his hand was one inch away from a brick but he didn't pick it up to clock Moxley!  Why?  Because that spot was planned for later, so rather than have a weapons match that flowed with hatred and violence it was just spot, spot, spot.  Moxley's character and promos are now the best around, but maybe WWE had a point reining him in all the time.

Contrast that with the Iron Man match which I very nearly skipped all of, due to being frankly hugely bored with Danielson for reasons similar to above.   But this was great - because there was a title on the line and so everything MEANT something, I watched the whole thing.  I'm sure "the GOAT" Danielson will get all the plaudits but for me this was MJF's coming of age match because not only did he hang hold for hold with Dragon, he actually worked a story as well.  There was one point about 1/2 hour in when they genuinely could have pulled off a double turn, so loathsome was Danielson being and so in-peril was MJF.  And then he went on that lovely 10 minute heel routine, throwing a drink in the kid's lap, taking water breaks, table spot on the outside, taunting the crowd - it was all great and set up the final few minutes perfectly.

The sight of MJF's bloodied face with Danielson unable to cinch in the crossface because it was so slick - THAT'S how you use blood.  The false finish, restart... all classic.  Great match, one of the best Iron Man matches I've seen.

MJF is now a proper champion in my eyes.  He should dine out on this win for months.

• Paid Members

Fuck me, that was a belter of a show. AEW has surpassed NXT for always delivering (and, in some cases, over-delivering) the goods on PPV/PLE.

You've got potentially the greatest Iron Man match of all time, potentially the greatest Texas Death/Last Man Standing gimmick match of all time, a fucking superb trios match that pissed Jim Ross off to no end, and Jericho lying down clean in the middle again to help get the new lads over. All within one PPV under four hours long.

It seems like once or twice per year, AEW has a PPV that's in the "Greatest PPV of all time" conversation, and this is one of them. When was the last time WWE were hitting those plaudits? 2014? 2005? 2002? 2001? They may make the most money but they aren't making the most compelling all-round professional fucking wrestling product, that's for sure.

Have only watched the main event but loved it. MJF feels like a legitimate World Champ for the first time. He's maturing into quite the worker. Imagine how much he could improve if he wrestled more than 10 matches a year.