AEW Revolution 2023 discussion thread

LaGoosh

There's stuff I enjoy from both companies. I really don't find myself comparing them at any point when I'm watching because they don't feel like competition. They've both got good rosters and they're both capable of delivering a good product. I think people can enjoy whatever without having to put down the other shows in any way. 

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

There's stuff I enjoy from both companies. I really don't find myself comparing them at any point when I'm watching because they don't feel like competition. They've both got good rosters and they're both capable of delivering a good product. I think people can enjoy whatever without having to put down the other shows in any way. 

While I agree with this, I think it’s pretty clear that WWE has benefited from the existence of AEW; for example, would WWE have taken a looser approach to scripting promos had it not worked so well for AEW? Would WWE have told a long term storyline such as the Bloodline saga had Omega/Hangman not packed such an emotional punch? Perhaps, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest Triple H has been inspired by certain elements of AEW.

I also think Tony Khan could stand to learn from WWE - and Impact for that matter - when it comes to how it treats its female performers. It’s a shame that we’re four years in, and a women’s match hasn’t even threatened to close a PPV. I’d also like to see him treat the TNT title in a similar way to how Triple H has treated the IC and US belts. 

This is another conversation for another thread, I suppose; but my point is that I don’t think comparisons are always a bad thing.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I also think Tony Khan could stand to learn from WWE - and Impact for that matter - when it comes to how it treats its female performers. It’s a shame that we’re four years in, and a women’s match hasn’t even threatened to close a PPV. I’d also like to see him treat the TNT title in a similar way to how Triple H has treated the IC and US belts. 

This is another conversation for another thread, I suppose; but my point is that I don’t think comparisons are always a bad thing.

How many Wrestlemania did it take before a woman’s match closed the show?

As much as Tony needs to shape up when it comes to the booking of the women's division I'd not be looking at WWE for inspiration. I've been hoping for some Stardom participation in the next Forbidden Door but I'm not sure I'd let my wrestlers go to AEW if I were them.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

We're in a whole different world to when Mania started. Not exactly a logical comparison. 

35 was the answer. And woman’s wrestling had been on the up since the early 00’s. And it took a crossover star to deem it worthy. Despite the talent on the roster, simply put they don’t have anyone at that same stature of crossover appeal. So that’s probably why.

They have probably had as many woman main events on Dynamite than Raw or Smackdown though.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

You go through those first 34 Wrestlemanias and tell me which Women's match booked on the card you'd have liked to see main event the show. Ivory vs Chyna perhaps? Maybe the Vickie Guerrero Divas Invitational?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

You go through those first 34 Wrestlemanias and tell me which Women's match booked on the card you'd have liked to see main event the show. Ivory vs Chyna perhaps? Maybe the Vickie Guerrero Divas Invitational?

I will if you tell me which woman’s match should have main evented an AEW PPV.

The woman’s main event argument I find off, as if you take away the original main 4 in wwe, would anyone had had any the others main event a show without a horsewoman in it? Took ages for anyone to ride too their level from what I’ve read o here

Aew women roster started with very little left to sign from the indies, and an joshi heavy roster that would and do struggle to hold a feud worthy of main eventing a show. Would I have raided Impacts roster given their long term success with the knockouts, quite likely. I dunno if any moves where made, maybe they didn’t fancy it. until women are 50/50 Roster split they are gonna appear less on a show. OnIy match I’d consider main event worthy will be when Cargill demands title vs title, as that should be a massive moment 

• Paid Members

Fantastic show. Despite the patchy build up, the lineup always looked tasty, and then on top of that everything over-delivered. Exactly what I needed. I left Elimination Chamber feeling completely deflated, really struggling to get back into the wrestling after the Sami loss felt so flat in execution. Here though? I was left absolutely buzzing. What a fucking belter. Pro-wrestling is the best.

Mark Briscoe stole the show on the Buy In. He's such a brilliant oddball. A great addition to the roster. Hopefully he finds his way to Orange Cassidy and Danhausen. That's the Trios contenders I need! The Buy In was also my first time seeing RJ City. I like the cut of his jib. The perfect pitch of wry, irreverent silliness. I'd use him on Dynamite.

Fair play to Jericho. It took forever, but he seems to have finally read the room. Fun opener, surprisingly good result, now let's call it a day and set my man free. Ricky Starks still isn't anywhere near as hot as he was going into the Jericho vortex, but all things considered? This could've been far worse.

Great Casket match. Felt really satisfying after the years of build up to see Jungle Boy get his revenge. Catharsis like this is what AEW does best. Easily Christian's best performance in years and Jack Perry in jeans is one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. The guy is money. The way the casket fell into the ground at the end, like a cartoon or a video game, really made me laugh too. Great production. I wonder if that's it for Christian? How long did he sign for? It was around this time that he came in, wasn't it?

Phenomenal Trios Title match. The House of Black are the most frustrating act in the business. Great workers, great look, incredible fun when they're out there wrecking fools, but then it's all flushed away whenever they go backstage, turn the lights off and start mumbling in nonsense riddles. For the benefit of everyone, Tony Khan needs to make an executive decision and cancel Malakai Black's Shudder subscription. No more spookiness. Turn the lights on. Grow up. Just be awesome, double hard bastards.

Best Saraya match thus far. Jamie Hayter working miracles right before our eyes.

I had the time of my life with the Texas Death match. Wild, mental spectacle. God bless Jon Moxley. Multi-millionaire doing CZW death matches for fun. Look, I completely understand everyone's criticisms about Moxley bleeding all the time, but ultimately, as is the case with everything in pro-wrestling, you have to simply judge stuff on whether it works or not. And this worked. Crowd going apeshit, genuine gasps of horror at some of the maddest spots, a tangible sense that these maniacs were going to kill each other, and then one of the most amazing finishes in ages. Five stars.

Samoa Joe vs. Wardlow was probably the low point of the show. The work was fine, but Wardlow just doesn't seem to have it anymore. The spark has been completely extinguished, I swear his physique is suffering, too. Looked to almost have a bit of a gut on him. Oh, how I miss the Wardlow of early 2022. Remember when the MJF/Plane thing went down, it wasn't confirmed whether he'd appear at the pay per view, and there was genuine discussion of just calling an audible and somehow putting Wardlow in the World Title match and having him win? Seems like a lifetime ago. Worse still, I think Hobbs is taking the belt off Wardlow immediately. One step forward, two steps back. He'll be back being MJF's bodyguard at this rate.

Tag Title match was tonnes of fun. Orange Cassidy, Danhausen and Double J should feud forever. Good to see FTR back, but I dunno. I can't remember anyone who's damaged their own stock more than Dax. Boring, moaning bastard, endlessly, "teasing," retiring or going back to WWE, to the point where I couldn't give a flying fuck. LOL at them coming back. Bottled it when you heard Vince was back, did you? Jog on.

Incredible main event. The best Iron Man match I've ever seen. My new match of the year. Further evidence that Bryan Danielson is the greatest of all time, but even better was how this really felt like the arrival of MJF as the World Champion. He looked the absolute bollocks here. Outstanding entrance. Hilariously throwing a drink on a child, and then putting on the performance of his life. Seeing an arena of people rise to their feet for a Single Leg Boston Crab? Incredible. What a masterpiece. Six stars.

At this point, anyone slagging off Bryan Danielson is either trolling or an idiot. He's the best and this run has been amazing. A genuine MVP. Second year in a row he's spectacularly solidified a new World Champion as being truly top tier. Let's hope that unlike last year we don't see all his hard work flushed down the shitter when the next Title contender is Adam Cole and his Cheese String arms.

So yeah. Great show. I hope they manage to sort their weekly TV out because these big shows always deliver and prove that when they nail it AEW is a phenomenal promotion that’s on par with the best stuff I’ve ever seen.

6C6E5B8B-B28B-4678-9BB5-15903C1F519C.thumb.jpeg.ff827005d8cc4baeb703c078ce445705.jpeg

54BA9B7F-7C0B-46AB-8FAA-EC5A48AA4683.jpeg.7df2cc78d21ab98c64973c2ae53aaeff.jpeg

A1D43B32-0C3F-4ED0-85B5-D3F2A390852C.webp.e7b8ed6c494e4524b73803e92ced09c1.webp

835112F7-843B-4074-AB72-85BDAE06981B.jpeg.84abf8db390a5186be50ee2bec263491.jpeg

94CF1039-5DC1-45D9-BDF7-42C1F8579FE5.thumb.jpeg.7ff1f8c69d26147c4eba92aa8a724314.jpeg

Edited by Supremo