AEW Revolution 2023 discussion thread

LaGoosh

Noticed on Rampage that they kept referring to the Iron Man match as the main event which would suggest going on last although think it makes more sense to go on first unless somethings happening after, even saw an interview with Bryan saying he’d prefer to be the first match.

Moxley bleeding every week has taken away from what is a really good match with hangman as the blood doesn’t carry any weight in the match given it’s as regular as a headlock for him 

• Paid Members

Thought it was a decent PPV overall with some pretty shoddy stuff on it.

I think they paced it right by opening with Jericho vs Starks. The match was one of the least anticipated so having it go first stopped it killing the momentum later in the show. Absolutely no idea why you would make the "JAS barred from ringside" stipulation and have someone in the JAS go to ringside. Is that not an automatic DQ? If not then why even have the stipulation?
The block of the Judas Effect made no sense at all but I'm glad Starks won. I won't be convinced this feud is over though unless Chris Jericho literally dies on TV.

The Final Burial match was pretty fun too and the conchairto looked sick. Had a good laugh at the coffin dropping into the hole during the finish. Again though unless Christian comes out on Dynamite this week and explodes into a confetti of guts I'm not convinced this feud is done.

Trios match was as good as you would expect from this lot. It's a double win for us really because it should mean Omega and The Bucks go do something more interesting but also as champs House of Black might actually be around having matches more than spooky vignettes now.

Women's match was garbage and the post-match angle even worse. Jamie Hayter is a star from top to bottom and I feel bad for her having to try and drag Saraya and Ruby Soho to something decent. Saraya especially looked lost half the time with some real weak and awkward offense. The fact she's been doing this her whole life sounds like a joke.
The last thing this women's division needs is factions and teams. They almost killed the division off having Britt/Jamie/Rebel 3vs1 everyone forever but now having another team of 3 is going to just repeat the same mistakes.
Smashing cameras and spraypainting Ls is guff. NWO they ain't.

Texas Death Match was a bloodbath. I really enjoyed it, some clunky moments of Hangman fighting strips of barbed wire aside. A lot of the spots had me peeking through my fingers and I was thoroughly surprised Hangman won. Is that the first time Mox has submitted in AEW?
Not sure where either of them go now though.

I went to bed after that and caught Joe vs Wardlow and the Tag match this morning. Both OK matches but following that Texas Deathmatch was an uphill battle sadly none of them could win. Great TV matches but wouldn't call either of them PPV quality. Glad FTR are back if only to shut the bald one up online for a bit.

I skipped to the final 15 minutes of the Ironman Match because I wasn't interested in the match and certainly not interested in watching at least 60 minutes of it. I won't nitpick too much because I skipped so much of it but that was a lot of false finishes towards the end wasn't it?
I think if I was put on the spot I'd have preferred a Bryan win because MJF has regressed so much lately, but I didn't care that much. Hopefully whoever he feuds with now gets something better out of him in the buildup.

Worth the price of admission for the Texas Deathmatch, but Final Burial and the Trios match were enjoyable too. Starks/Wardlow/Four Way match were what they were and the women's match was a total dud. Can't comment on the Iron Man match.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Hopefully whoever he feuds with now gets something better out of him in the buildup.

If this regarding MJFs next feud, I'm going with Adam Cole...with the small Britt Baker spat on Twitter, All Access coming up, Cole's return etc..it would make sense. Even though I'm happy for Adam Cole being okay health and mental wise, I'm still not of a fan of him as a wrestler/performer and hoping MJF goes in on him, could be some great segments. Of course MJF goes on to win, but then loose later in the year, allowing him to set-up the bidding war of 2024 storyline blah blah blah 

• Paid Members

I fell asleep during Mox/Hangman, so will go back and revisit that and also skipped the tag match to the end. That said, thought the PPV overall was really decent. Probably the best Ironman match I have seen. Some great story elements like going out to get water and Bryan still strong in defeat.

I hope Jericho/Starks is done, both could do with moving on to new programs. Christian/Jungle Boy was a fun match with a hilarious ending. Trios match exceeded my expectations, Brody was the MVP for me, but all 6 put on a good outing and interesting to see what happens to The Elite.  Womans match was particularly meh. Not looking forward to the 6 way going forward. Joe/Wardlow was enjoyable enough. Interesting that Hobbs is going for a TNT match, but good stuff.

Anyway, all in all, very enjoyable PPV and glad to have bought it.BE8DE27E-7E22-4341-A059-B0A067C3E7B1.thumb.png.5c1d7d4c5ad8c8b2f3b7cbd3d5de9ed8.png

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

I didn’t watch the show - largely because of the Iron Man match, but also because of the build - but I’m disappointed to see yet another TNT title change. Khan’s Vince Russo-esque treatment of the belt has killed the value brought to it by the likes of Cody and Miro, and it’s a shame. 

I’ve also seen the clip of MJF throwing a glass of water at a small child; yet another example of the guy going too far because, apparently, it’s the only way he knows how to get heel heat. I’ve no doubt that this will have its defenders - things like this always do - but if ruining a young child’s night is part of your act, then maybe you should reassess what you’re doing. 

I’m sure, on the whole, it was a very good show, but I’m curious as to how many people were put off purchasing it by the threat of an hour-long match.

I checked out of AEW completely towards the end of January, so I was going into this really not having caught much or any of the build to most of the matches, and I thought it delivered. One of, if not the best Iron Man match I've ever seen, at no point did I feel is was dragging. Jericho does need to go away for a while. I like The Gunns as tag champs, but keen to see FTR take them soon.

It's another PPV where they failed to sell me on it beforehand, which should really be the point. WWE often did the same in that their weekly shows were shit but quite often their PPVs were pretty enjoyable. Only difference there was I already had the Network so I didn't really question whether I needed to pay out for it or not.

But with this, I made the decision not to buy it because I really wasn't feeling it. And that's happening far too often.

Glad it sounds like people got their moneys worth and it's one I might see later if I feel like watching some wrestling later in the week. But I do really miss that must-see anticipation feeling rather than just watching stuff off the back of it getting good feedback.

That Torrent of Xtreme Wrestling was really good for what had an awful build, and I didn't mind blood being featured so heavily in those two matches but yeah I can definitely see it watering the effect down if it keeps happening.

Hangman with the new music and darker look suited that match perfectly, not sure if it should be a permanent thing as it felt like a special occasion.

One of the biggest pops in the Merzbow home was seeing Dax getting a big old spud to the eye.

FTR were wearing Living Colour t-shirts, apparently. Also, in the scrum, MJF was a) dropping lines that CM Punk previously used and b) kind of riffing on the whole Brawl Out thing with his look and eating pickles.

I feel certain that guy is coming back.