AEW Revolution 2023 discussion thread

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I will if you tell me which woman’s match should have main evented an AEW PPV.

I never said any of them should have. What point are you even trying to make here? Are you ok?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I never said any of them should have. What point are you even trying to make here? Are you ok?

I’m just not sure what anyone’s point is that AEW should have had a Woman’s match main event a PPV. They have a completely different woman’s division, they don’t have any crossover stars like Ronda or Sasha Banks. I find the whole argument weird when we’re in a thread discussing another PPV which ended up overdelivering. Let’s just discuss how great the Ironman match was, how good the Trios match was and that nearly every match had the right result for a change.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’m just not sure what anyone’s point is that AEW should have had a Woman’s match main event a PPV. They have a completely different woman’s division, they don’t have any crossover stars like Ronda or Sasha Banks.

I think that's the point? They put hardly any effort into making it any good, it's booked in a holding pattern for the most part. That's why your "well which one of their very shitty feuds would you have main event then?!" argument is so odd. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think that's the point? They put hardly any effort into making it any good, it's booked in a holding pattern for the most part. That's why your "well which one of their very shitty feuds would you have main event then?!" argument is so odd. 

Jesus, do you need some straws as well. The division is fine. There have been some great matches, there have been some good feuds. But there is no-one on the roster with mainstream appeal, nor have any feuds or storylines being more exciting then you Page v Omega or MJF vs Mox. It's absurd. Britt and Rosa had a great feud. Jade has had her own dominant run, again with some decent matches, but your having one of those be the main event of a PPV? Ronda's match headlined Wrestlemania as they had used outside attractions like Tyson before. To get buzz. To say there is hardly an effort into making it any good is an insult to the talent.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, gmoney said:

No, it's an insult to the booking, obviously. Your point that that they've been book amazingly but they're not good enough to main event is an insult to the talent. Get some rest mate. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

No, it's an insult to the booking, obviously. Get some rest mate. 

3 minutes ago, gmoney said:

No, it's an insult to the booking, obviously. Your point that that they've been book amazingly but they're not good enough to main event is an insult to the talent. Get some rest mate.

If you could point out where I said that, that would be great. You seem to be completely ignoring who has been in the main events of WWF PPVs and why, but that's fine for your argument I guess, otherwise it falls apart under scrutiny. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You seem to be completely ignoring who has been in the main events of WWF PPVs and why, but that's fine for your argument I guess, otherwise it falls apart under scrutiny. 

Bianca Belair vs Sasha Banks? 

You seem to be saying that women can only headline a PPV if they're a crossover celebrity, not via well booked feuds and over performers (though that is also incorrect, so maybe that isn't you point, who knows). I am saying, it could easily have been done in the last few years in AEW if they'd put some effort and focus into the division. 

Edited by gmoney

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I will if you tell me which woman’s match should have main evented an AEW PPV.

Again, another topic for another thread, but Shida vs Britt Baker is the obvious answer to this. They also could have run a PPV-closer with Baker vs Rosa; although this would have required a different outcome to what they ran with. The opportunity has been there, Khan has just chosen not to take it. 

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Supremono better time to start with Hey EW if you liked RJ City. 90% of them are great, but JJ & also Regal’s are top class. Here’s the playlist http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLILTWWX_AIJRiFlvhG6aHKq7cnA2c1Fuf

This, I will agree with! Hey EW is the whole reason I nominated RJ City for best non-wrestler last year, he’s absolutely brilliant. I’m not entirely sure how you would fit his act into Dynamite or Rampage, but he absolutely deserves a bigger audience.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

You go through those first 34 Wrestlemanias and tell me which Women's match booked on the card you'd have liked to see main event the show. Ivory vs Chyna perhaps? Maybe the Vickie Guerrero Divas Invitational?

I think this line of reasoning is pretty disingenuous - yes, there weren't any women's matches on previous Wrestlemanias worth main eventing, but that's because women's wrestling was booked like shit and treated like an afterthought. Whether something is a worthy main event or not comes down almost entirely to how much the company are prepared to invest in that match, and WWE spent most of their existence not investing in women, and AEW so far haven't invested in them at that level.

It's also not fair to say "how long did it take WWE to do it?" as a defence of AEW, because the point is that WWE have done it, and there's no reason AEW couldn't if they really wanted to. Who knows, maybe the new reality show will make a PPV main eventer of Britt Baker. 

Pre-AEW, I wouldn't have thought Adam Page - one of the forgettable Other Ones in Bullet Club - would have been a PPV main eventer, but he absolutely is, and that's because AEW has invested time and effort in making him one. They could invest that time in making a women's match a worthy main event, and certainly could have been investing that time from day one, but they haven't shown any desire to. It's not a matter of looking back at their previous shows and saying "well, none of these matches should have main evented anyway", so much as asking, "why were these the only matches, the only stories, and the only opportunities given to women's wrestling in this company in the first place?". 

9 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Again, another topic for another thread, but Shida vs Britt Baker is the obvious answer to this. They also could have run a PPV-closer with Baker vs Rosa; although this would have required a different outcome to what they ran with. The opportunity has been there, Khan has just chosen not to take it.

Definitely don't agree on Hikaru Shida v. Britt Baker. While it was stronger than Omega v. PAC v. OC. Stadium Stampede kinda limits things.

Thunder Rosa v. Britt Baker would have been the answer at Revolution last year. Going against the two Adams i'd say the Women's match should have edged it. Thunder could have had the home town first defense instead. But then i'm biased against Adam Cole as a wrestler.

The eventual Hayter v. Baker match should be a PPV main.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Definitely don't agree on Hikaru Shida v. Britt Baker. While it was stronger than Omega v. PAC v. OC. Stadium Stampede kinda limits things.

Thunder Rosa v. Britt Baker would have been the answer at Revolution last year. Going against the two Adams i'd say the Women's match should have edged it. Thunder could have had the home town first defense instead. But then i'm biased against Adam Cole as a wrestler.

The eventual Hayter v. Baker match should be a PPV main.

I think the correct answer is Jade Cargill Vs and if rumors are to be believed they reckon it will be Kris Statlander to be the one to dethrone her which would certainly be an intteresting match, but I would also love to see Hayter v Cargill for all the marbles as well.

• Paid Members

Jim Ross on this show cut a tragic figure. They didn’t even let him call any of the main events. He was brought out and then sent packing as quickly as possible, like when your Nan is wheeled out of a family party early before everyone properly gets on it. It can’t be long until Jim’s (rightly) phased out for good.

Not that I’d have had it any other way. Tony Schiavone was spectacular in that main event, especially at the end when he announced the overtime. I’ve never seen a better babyface performance. He looked over the moon to be ruining MJF’s day. For a company that supposedly doesn’t tell stories, MJF vs. Big Tone has been going on for years and is always, always brilliant.

Edited by Supremo