Stevie Richards isn't well.

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Saw an article, and Big Stevie Cool isn't in a good way. There was a picture of him with a huge beard in hospital with a zimmer frame. Apparently he had to have neck surgery after an injury back in ECW, so it's probably wear and tear from that over 20 years on. 

Screenshot_20230226-011817.png

Screenshot_20230226-011830.png

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Awards Moderator

That’s sad to read. He’s had some serious health problems before, hasn’t he? I remember something happening with his throat that might have been life-threatening, which he overcame and then went on to have an excellent short run in WWECW. Sounds like his in-ring days are done now but hopefully he can still recover enough to get out of hospital soon.

3 hours ago, Vamp said:

Wasn't he teaching yoga at one stage? Possibly as part of DDP yoga?

Yeah, before my health went to absolute shit I did DDPY and he was one of the assistants on there. On one workout he’d hand DDP a chair and DDP would say “Hope he isn’t gonna hit me with the damn thing”. Always got a cheer from me. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

Always feel bad whenever I hear about Stevie Richards because it reminds me of the story of him pitching a perfect game in MLB 2K11 to win $1 Million but he did it before the competition officially started so he got nothing. Always thought of that being just the shittest luck.

That being said, RTC Stevie Richards was one of my favourite figures to play with growing up. He was a heel I loved to hate on my tapes and DVDs and equally so among my figures. He had a solid run on top for a while before I got a DDP figure from a car boot sale that when you pushed his legs did a diamond cutter. It was game over for everyone after that, they were all feeling the bang.

Look at them. Stars that could be on top in any promotion.

EA47AB9C-8345-4B86-AA3B-910C6211C9C8.jpeg

E8A2B003-392E-419F-94AA-77DE945521D7.jpeg

• Paid Members

It's a shame he's in rough shape, because he looks handsome as fuck with that beard, it has to be said.

He was always a bit of a sentimental favourite of mine, whether a goofy heel in ECW (I have a soft spot for almost anyone who worked ECW, bar Jason Knight) or with Right to Censor, who are very much my boy stable. I have a very short list of gimmicks I'd have done if I had wrestled, and ripping off Right to Censor in some capacity was on there, because it's just easy fun heat, and Richards was brilliant at it.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Factotum said:

Mad just how over his RTC run was. Great low level heels. I hope he gets better!

I loved RTC, by which I mean I hated RTC, but in truth I didn't. I hated Stevie and I was always waiting for him to get a kicking. The rest of them could have been anyone in truth because they were just there as Stevie's goons to keep people from getting to him. You could have replaced Val or Bull with some other floundering lower card name and it would have likely worked because Stevie was the real driving of the heat by being such a perfect weasley, condescending little scrote.

• Paid Members

I always liked Stevie Richards. A great little midcard character wrestler, with decent athleticism as well - charismatic enough for mike work, so he could also be a manager, lackey, or, as RTC demonstrated, even a lower-card stable leader. He was one of the few times I ever saw Abyss get any kind of big, emotional crowd response, when he was Dr. Stevie, the abusive psychiatrist coercing him into doing all sorts of bad shit, and he was such a nasty bastard that you could hear the crowd yelling for Abyss to turn on him in the most classic Virgil/Dibiase or DiBiase Jr./Cody/Orton way.

Oddly, he was pretty good as an angry babyface too - he was one of the very few enjoyable elements of EV2 in TNA. Very easy to get behind as a man on a mission, this fiery veteran determined to prove he and his generation were still relevant, and you could hear that the crowd appreciated him too. Sadly, it wasn't a long run, down to quite bad injury, I think.

Injury seems to have plagued a lot of his career; when I came back to wrestling in 2000, it was partly through playing the first Smackdown game, and I wondered who the hell this guy was in the game, because he never showed up on-screen, and I found out it was because he was on the shelf for quite some time.

• Paid Members

I know real life violence and injuries are not cool and I'm aware of the dangers of unprotected chair shots, but I must confess I still love Stevie for that chair shot receipt he gave to JBL on behalf of the Blue Meanie. JBL is a man who will never really get his comeuppance, so I will always be grateful for Stevie giving me just a little taste of it.

Other than that he's always been a fun performer to me. Always threw himself into any role with a ton of enthusiasm. Could do comedy, play sympathetic babyface and was also an effective heel. Similar to @Nick James if you asked me if I liked Stevie I'd say yes without necessarily being able to point to a specific match/segment.

Sad to see he's in such a bad way.